Downgrade 13a Visa on arrival?

Henryw
Posted
Posted

Hi trying to look for some answers about downgrading a 13visa. I'm out of the country and my re entry permit is expired, we are planning to come back for a holiday next year which will be two years out of the philippines. What will happen when I arrive with a 13a and expired permit? I dont actually really want the Visa anymore, will they let me in with a fine or downgrade me or do I have to go downgrade myself when I'm there and how long would that take? Any info would be a great help, thanks 

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Henry I came back with an expired (2years) 13A Visa and got a standard 29days tourist entry stamp. 

When I went to the BI in Cebu to extend my visa I asked a staff member if I could renew my 13A and pay any late renewal fees. She told me I could not renew it as it had expired and I would have to apply again. 

But an older staff member at the table by the door told me I COULD renew it...but if you extend by the 30 days tourist visa then you CANNOT. 

My flipina wife in Oz and I had divorced there so I did want to renew it as it would have been illegal... not the way to go retiring here! 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

As far as I am aware if you miss the yearly report you can pay a fine and it is settled. But as Mike says above if you get a tourist visa that will cancell out the 13a.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The return authorization keeps your visa current while you are out of the country - but it is only good for 1 year.  I had a friend that let his RA expire and he had to start the whole process over again, probationary, then permanent.  Each office can be different of course.

If you do not want the visa anymore, simply accept the 30 day stamp on entry, and extend as needed.  Double check with the BI agent at the airport, of course. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Henryw said:

we are planning to come back for a holiday next year

We?   So can we assume that you want to come back with your wife, forget about the expired 13a, and just get a BB stamp?  Sounds reasonable to me.  People move their wives out of the Philippines quite often and then come to visit on a BB stamp.  It lets you both (and kids traveling with you) stay here for up to a year.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Henryw
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies, so just by being out of the country expires the whole Visa and can come and go like a normal tourist? Someone told me once that your 13a is always permanent until you downgrade it, but this sounds better! Will be with the wife and kids for 3 weeks so could do without a trip to intramurous! Will definitely be using the bb stamp in the future for longer stays

• Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Henryw said:

Thanks fTor the replies, so just by being out of the country expires the whole Visa and can come and go like a normal tourist? Someone told me once that your 13a is always permanent until you downgrade it, but this sounds better! Will be with the wife and kids for 3 weeks so could do without a trip to intramurous! Will definitely be using the bb stamp in the future for longer stays

Yes Henry on arrival they will give you and the family the standard 30 day tourist stamp. Which covers your 3 week holiday and effectively ends your 13A visa without any need to go and see the BI based on my experience.....then just get the BB stamp next time if staying longer. You may be put on the BB stamp anyway without them telling you unless they ask you how long you are here for.  No problem either way. 

Edited by OzeMike

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Henryw said:

Thanks for the replies, so just by being out of the country expires the whole Visa and can come and go like a normal tourist? Someone told me once that your 13a is always permanent until you downgrade it, but this sounds better! Will be with the wife and kids for 3 weeks so could do without a trip to intramurous! Will definitely be using the bb stamp in the future for longer stays

No, just leaving the country does not cancel the 13a (it does the tourist visa, but you get a free one on re-entry).  When you leave on a 13a you get an ECC-B that includes the return authorization. It keeps your visa valid for up to 12 months out of country , but is single use (each exit requires a new RA). 

• Thanks 1

Henryw
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

No, just leaving the country does not cancel the 13a (it does the tourist visa, but you get a free one on re-entry).  When you leave on a 13a you get an ECC-B that includes the return authorization. It keeps your visa valid for up to 12 months out of country , but is single use (each exit requires a new RA). 

Yea I have got that in the airport a few times, just wasnt sure what happens when the permit expired. Can never seem to find reliable information on any on their websites. Thanks for the help

Henryw
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Yes Henry on arrival they will give you and the family the standard 30 day tourist stamp. Which covers your 3 week holiday and effectively ends your 13A visa without any need to go and see the BI based on my experience.....then just get the BB stamp next time if staying longer. You may be put on the BB stamp anyway without them telling you unless they ask you how long you are here for.  No problem either way. 

Sounds good, how long ago was that with you? I know they sometimes change the rules without you knowing!