Builders , labourers

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

True Steve, but the devil is in knowing what is a fair amount.  This is the Philippines and a labourer will earn 8 quid a day here and 10x that in the UK.  I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but remember where we are and leave your UK budgeting back in the UK.  That said, if you do your homework then you won't get ripped off (much!)

I have Emma’s dad on hand and I will always ask his advice even though I may never use it , but he will be the one with Emma getting the best prices once I have had my influence then have stepped away.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Be careful of relies, they like to use them and of course, their all top tradesmen. :hystery:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Clermont said:

Be careful of relies, they like to use them and of course, their all top tradesmen. :hystery:

What’s relies ?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Slang for relatives

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

What’s relies ?

Relatives.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I have learnt the hard way, but I did LEARN, the father I would trust with my life and my savings and that’s why he is involved with the house build plus he lives in the bottom half anyway.

graham59
Posted
Posted

At least it should be dry at that time of the year Steve, so hopefully, fewer unplanned delays.  :smile:

I have a 2 storey extension waiting to be finished later in the year also. No rush, even if it is to be my new 'den'. (with roof deck over). :dance:

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

When I started building the house we are presently in I had no knowledge of the labourers ethics, if any.

You have to be there constantly watching them, or they go into limp mode.

You have to watch everything they do or they will cut short what goes into the building for resale later, a good one is charge you for steel reo and don't put any in, the reo goes over the fence for collection and resale later.

Be prepared to pay extra because if someone down the road is paying more then off they go.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Oh, another point.

When getting doors for this house see if you can get them from a reputable supplier if one of those exists at all.

Out of 8 doors in the house that Jack built, 6 have shrunk so much that the latch won't catch, so we have to use the dead bolt to keep them closed.

If you are getting tiling done pay the extra money and get them to lay a section and then check for levels, all of our tiled floors are like a railway line, especially on the verandah where after water gathers there are pools of water everywhere.

I regret the day I started it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

... in the house that Jack built...

At least we know who to blame now...:hystery:

• Haha 3