Split or Windowtype Aircon?

Viking
Posted
Posted

What do you prefer and why?

As I understand it the split type is much more quiet and CAN be a little bit more energy efficient. The downsides is that they are more expensive to buy and it also cost more to maintain them.

Is there any reason to NOT choose an aircon with inverter?

Do any of you have any experience with the multisplit type aircons? The one with 1 outdoor unit and several indoor units.

Any brand you recommend or having bad experience from would be appreciated :tiphat:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Go for an inverter type aircon  , also try to get one that uses a gas called R32

Dakin as far as i can see only maje splits with R32

As far as maintenance goes , you can easily maintain your own units ,youjusr need to keep them.clean and the anti cindensate pump clear

The only time that you need an aircon engineer to do maintenance on your unit is when there is a gas/coolant leak ,i have maintained  dozens if splits and 99 % of the problems are either the anti condensate pump or the gas

To do gas checks  you need a vac pump , guages and nitrogen  also leak detection equipment 

As long as younckean your filters including the vanes the unit shoukd run at max efficiency and use less electricity 

To ckean the vanes , a bio degradable solution available from an aircon dealer shoukd be used ,keeping the unit clean is the key 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I settled on a fairly efficient window unit because I can easily take it with me when I move. Mine isn't an inverter but it's larger than it needs to be so it cools what it needs to cool quickly and doesn't work itself to death. It made my electric bills go up about P2000 a month in my efficiency apartment.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Go for an inverter type aircon  , also try to get one that uses a gas called R32

Dakin as far as i can see only maje splits with R32

As far as maintenance goes , you can easily maintain your own units ,youjusr need to keep them.clean and the anti cindensate pump clear

The only time that you need an aircon engineer to do maintenance on your unit is when there is a gas/coolant leak ,i have maintained  dozens if splits and 99 % of the problems are either the anti condensate pump or the gas

To do gas checks  you need a vac pump , guages and nitrogen  also leak detection equipment 

As long as younckean your filters including the vanes the unit shoukd run at max efficiency and use less electricity 

To ckean the vanes , a bio degradable solution available from an aircon dealer shoukd be used ,keeping the unit clean is the key 

Thanks for that info.

I did not know that you could make most of the maintenance by yourself on splits.

Do you have any experience from multi splits? I ask because I want a silent ac in the bedroom and then I think it makes sense to hook up another Indoor unit to the livingroom. They will not be used simultainiously. Bedroom at night and livingroom during the day.

Is there a big difference in quality/performance between the big brands, Carrier, Daikin, LG, Samsung, Hitachi, Kolin and Panasonic? 

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I settled on a fairly efficient window unit because I can easily take it with me when I move. Mine isn't an inverter but it's larger than it needs to be so it cools what it needs to cool quickly and doesn't work itself to death. It made my electric bills go up about P2000 a month in my efficiency apartment.

In our case we will install it in our own house so its not a big deal if we cant move it easily, but if renting, that is also something to keep on mind :thumbsup:

It only raised your bill with 2k a month?? I suppose you dont use it very much then, am I right?

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

In our case we will install it in our own house so its not a big deal if we cant move it easily, but if renting, that is also something to keep on mind :thumbsup:

It only raised your bill with 2k a month?? I suppose you dont use it very much then, am I right?

I use it daily. The place is on the small side and the 1 hp is overkill. I turn it off when I'm out because it is powerful enough to cool the place off fast.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We have both types of units.  I definitely prefer the split type AC over the window type.  It is quiet and seems to move the air in a more efficient, less in your face, manner.  We went with the inverter to save on energy costs.  Also, with window type you also block the view from a window or have to cut a hole in the wall.  If you live in/near a reasonable size city you can get the AC cleaned and serviced at a very reasonable cost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Is there a big difference in quality/performance between the big brands, Carrier, Daikin, LG, Samsung, Hitachi, Kolin and Panasonic? 

Sorry that I forgot where I read this. As I am building a home, I researched several split-type aircons. As mentioned already, the inverter versions are quiet and energy efficient.

I did read about a problem with Samsung. Apparently, a few owner/users of this brand (and supposedly at least a few other brands share this), those cute, chirping little ghecos can sometimes enter the unit and fry the motherboard electronics as they commit suicide in their quests for insects. Some users had this happen twice in just over a year. They did not get warranty service after one year (or whatever the time was) and it was an expensive service to repair.

Panasonic units have a sealed motherboard that prevents this from happening. Now this info was from over a year ago, but it is the basis of my choice to use Panasonic, however I do not have the direct experience yet. Maybe this might give you a direction to research online?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Viking said:

What do you prefer and why?

split.

Doesn't leave a great big hole in your wall...…………….There are some utube vids about thieves removing the wall units and getting into houses :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Thanks for that info.

I did not know that you could make most of the maintenance by yourself on splits.

Do you have any experience from multi splits? I ask because I want a silent ac in the bedroom and then I think it makes sense to hook up another Indoor unit to the livingroom. They will not be used simultainiously. Bedroom at night and livingroom during the day.

Stick with the Japanese brands ,im a fan of Dakin , an inverter driven split using R32 gas will reduce your energy consumption by about 75% over the non inverter type , a split can be sized to deliver into two or more rooms , make sure that the copper piping is well insulated and wrap it infoam with tinfoil tape over the foam , with the shiney side showing , never mount the outside unit in direct sunlight , shade it from the sun , also R32 gas is better for the enviroment . The indoor part of the unit has a plastic lid that can be oppended , hover the dust from the filter on a regular basis , sometimes there is a L shaped piece of plastic adjacent to the unit , that should contain the small pump to take away the condensate , keep the hoses clean , on the external unit , you will see the vains , keep those clean with the aforementioned cleaner, remember to switch of the electricity when cleaning , try to make sure that the unit has a ground wire , that helps the electronics find their zero reference and will help for a long life

of your list , I would not use carrier or LG , they have lost their market share due to quality issues , Japanese brands are all worth considering

note ,I don't have a geko problem in the uk so cant comment on that

• Thanks 1