Split or Windowtype Aircon?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

On the other side, when there, I will have lots of time and I think it would give me some satisfaction to do things on my own. Maybe I will change my mind when I´m in that situation 

I think you will fine, Viking, that, as OMW writes, perhaps the biggest hassle here is finding the correct parts and supplies. It can sometimes take a full day - or longer - here in Davao, which is a large and major city - to find what you need for a project. You may find some of what you need in one place, but they have limited stock... Or you may go to several places and the staff have no idea what you are talking about, even while they may be standing right in front of it! It can be a bit frustrating at times to find what you need here. The locals, as OMW suggests, know what is needed and where to get it usually... Let them do the legwork and the finish work in at least some cases... Sit back and enjoy your tea, coffee, beer, rum or whiskey while they work for you at cheaper wages than in many other countries... If you pick a good company (that's a big IF, I realize) you will be pleasantly surprised with some good work done. But I suggest that you keep a good eye on the workers and materials to be certain you are satisfied with the results...

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think you will fine, Viking, that, as OMW writes, perhaps the biggest hassle here is finding the correct parts and supplies. It can sometimes take a full day - or longer - here in Davao, which is a large and major city - to find what you need for a project. You may find some of what you need in one place, but they have limited stock... Or you may go to several places and the staff have no idea what you are talking about, even while they may be standing right in front of it! It can be a bit frustrating at times to find what you need here. The locals, as OMW suggests, know what is needed and where to get it usually... Let them do the legwork and the finish work in at least some cases... Sit back and enjoy your tea, coffee, beer, rum or whiskey while they work for you at cheaper wages than in many other countries... If you pick a good company (that's a big IF, I realize) you will be pleasantly surprised with some good work done. But I suggest that you keep a good eye on the workers and materials to be certain you are satisfied with the results...

You are probably right in this and I will most likely do it "your" way after I made a couple of mistakes on my own :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

You are probably right in this and I will most likely do it "your" way after I made a couple of mistakes on my own :whistling:

I still work on the principal that anything I can do myself, I will but am slowly (OK, not so slowly) becoming less capable than I used to be - particularly when working at height.  

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I had an aircon (split inverter type) installed today, Daikin an 1.5 HP, for the guest house. Didn't know it was free delivery and installation.:thumbsup:

Looks and works fine. Time will tell.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

Reading back on my post, I didn't mean to sound quite so pendantic about my method, Viking.  I wrote that as a result of my experiences so far here in the Philippines and also in the Pacific Islands in general... the experiences have been similar in many locations.When shopping for products and materials, it always seems to require visits to every supplier in the area to pick up something here, another thing there, and another thing over there... I found that, as much as I dislike driving here, it seems to be a necessary evil in order to find what I need as our build progresses. There have been times when I have had to go to maybe 5 or 8 suppliers to find the quality and quantity of items needed. It can be a bit frustrating and you just need to not be in a hurry, and relax and think about that rum or beer or whatever that will await you at the end of your long day... It seems to always work out okay eventually...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I still work on the principal that anything I can do myself, I will but am slowly (OK, not so slowly) becoming less capable than I used to be - particularly when working at height.  

At her house in Laguna about 10 years ago, my wife fell off a ladder, dislocated her shoulder, and had to have a pin put in.  Two weeks ago, my sister's friend's husband in California, 68 years old, fell off a ladder and badly injured his neck and spine.  Two weeks in the hospital and now rehab.

Ladders and heights require a lot of respect.  Leave that work to the young guys!

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

At her house in Laguna about 10 years ago, my wife fell off a ladder, dislocated her shoulder, and had to have a pin put in.  Two weeks ago, my sister's friend's husband in California, 68 years old, fell off a ladder and badly injured his neck and spine.  Two weeks in the hospital and now rehab.

Ladders and heights require a lot of respect.  Leave that work to the young guys!

I agree with you on this. I am lucky enough to still be reasonably young, below 50, so I think I can still handle some work :thumbsup:

• Like 1