Split or Windowtype Aircon?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I have box units in our house in CDO and splits in my Australian house, I definitely find the splits quieter.  But we bought the house here with box AC units already fitted and it would leave holes in the walls if we switched type now.

If it is a new install then I would recommend inverter split system, if it is to replace an existing unrepairable box unit then you will need to factor in the cost and practicality of fixing the mess where the box unit used to be.

NB you need a place for the outside part of a split system, that might not be possible in some condos above ground level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

When I build my place I plan to use splits. Looks a lot better without a box hanging out your window. The ones I've worked here in the states were reliable and powerful (Mitsubishi), used them to cool computer rooms full of expensive equipment (and even more valuable data). I have a window type here in the states, but it's just emergency backup to run off a generator for when hurricanes come (and they do).

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I have box units in our house in CDO and splits in my Australian house, I definitely find the splits quieter.  But we bought the house here with box AC units already fitted and it would leave holes in the walls if we switched type now.

You can buy inverter window type. Don't know if they are quieter but must be just as economically as split type.  

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

You can buy inverter window type. Don't know if they are quieter but must be just as economically as split type.  

I looked at some at the prices are super high!  The prices might come down later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I looked at some at the prices are super high!  The prices might come down later.

Yeah I looked at some on Lazada, much to expensive.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I have a 1.5hp in the living room and a 1hp in the master bedroom - both split type and Panasonic.  No issues at all and seem efficient and work as expected.  I pay 600php each once a year to get them properly cleaned and each quarter I clean the filters myself.  I also have a 0.5hp window type in my son's small bedroom - Carrier brand.  Works fine but is a lot noisier than the larger Panasonic units. As far as I can work out, inverter window types only come in 1hp and above and seem to be not much cheaper than a split type. 

Other than initial cost, I cannot see any reason to choose a non-inverter type over an inverter type.  Also, I cannot see any reason to choose window type over split-type other than initial outlay unless you don't actually have a suitable wall to locate the outside unit or you don't need a 1hp unit - this was the case with our son's bedroom on both counts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2019 at 12:41 AM, Viking said:

What do you prefer and why?

Would it be be better to explain where you are thinking of air conditioning.  Condo, house ? piggery ?  :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Would it be be better to explain where you are thinking of air conditioning.  Condo, house ? piggery ?  :thumbsup:

You are right, I should have described my needs.

Small house, our own. I want aircon in the bedroom and livingroom.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Other than initial cost, I cannot see any reason to choose a non-inverter type over an inverter type.

There's one reason you missed, hk... The Koppel non-inverter window unit beast in the bedroom here covers up the noises from the dogs, rooster and motorcycles... sleep like babies...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1