Split or Windowtype Aircon?

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

I prefer the noisy hole in the wall air con type... helps drown out the noise outside :bonk:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OzeMike said:

I prefer the noisy hole in the wall air con type... helps drown out the noise outside :bonk:

Not really though, if the contractors down your way are anything like up my way, the hole they make is just about big enough for a small child to crawl through!  

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

True! 

But we only need a small air con for the bedroom which is not that large. 

My lady doesn't like it too cold anyway.. if she had her way she'd have just a stand fan pointing to the ground :571c66d400c8c_1(103): and lay on top of the sheets lol

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Will you spend time in the bedroom during the day with the aircon on?  If you only want it at night, when it is cooler anyway, you can get by with less air conditioning and a window unit may be fine.  Whereas if you are in a hot, upstairs bedroom that cooks you during the day you will want a full powered 1.5 or larger, inverter split unit.  I hope you understand that there are loads of ex-spurts, like me LOL), who will tell you what you need but NONE of them can give you valid advice without an inspection of the site and a discussion of what your primary expectations from the airconditioner are.  

The plan is to use the bedroom unit, only when we are going to sleep and it would be nice if it is quiet. We don´t have alot of disturbing noices in our area so we are pretty lucky about that. Hope that will last! The unit in the livingroom will mostly be used during daytime.

I understand that there is many "experts" out there, but I still appreciate to hear others opinions. There is always somthing I can pick up and learn from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Fortunatly, we don´t have that problem, but I understand you.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

The plan is to use the bedroom unit, only when we are going to sleep and it would be nice if it is quiet. We don´t have alot of disturbing noices in our area so we are pretty lucky about that.

In a few previous houses I lived in, I had a small, (1/2 hp), Samsung window unit in the bedroom. It was very quiet and just cooled the room enough (at night) to get a comfortable sleep.  It worked because the room was small, (10 ft by 8 ft) and did not heat up excessively during the day.  It was cheap, quiet, cool and never broke down.

Now I have a larger, (12 ft by 18 ft), bedroom that heats up a lot during the day.  I use a 1 HP Samsung, Inverter, Split unit.  It takes an hour or more to bring the temperature down to comfortable after the sun has set.  It is noisier than my small window unit.  That is because the exterior compressor is right outside my door (small area - no other choice) and they do make noise.  If I ever need to change that airconditioner, I will upgrade to a 1.5 HP as the extra power is nice in a poorly insulated house.

So my point is:  If I had a choice, I would choose a small, quiet, downstairs bedroom that does not heat up to much and put in a small, quiet window unit.  Note that I specifically mentioned Samsung 1/2 hp as it is quiet.  I also had a Panasonic 3/4 hp that was quiet.  Most of the other window units I have owned (8 of them) have been loud, expensive on electricity, and not efficient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

I understand that there is many "experts" out there, but I still appreciate to hear others opinions. There is always somthing I can pick up and learn from.

I think there are very few "experts" out here with aircon. We all just have different experiences with different units in different situations. But I think you now have a lot of opinions and experiences to help you work toward your choice?

Good luck to you, Viking. Please let us know how it works out for you, whatever your choice?

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OzeMike said:

if she had her way she'd have just a stand fan pointing to the ground :571c66d400c8c_1(103): and lay on top of the sheets lol

That's what do lay naked on  top of the bed sheets. with a ceiling fan set on low.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think there are very few "experts" out here with aircon.

:89: Now Tom do you mean within us the members or the Profession itself ?:whatever:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling mistake
  • Hmm thinking 2