Split or Windowtype Aircon?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
Just now, Viking said:

Maybe you are not an expert but to me it sounds like you have alot more experience about aircons than the average guy, so I ask you if you have any experience from Multi split typ aircons? Is it a good idea or is it just better to go with 2 separate systems?

We have a small house with a 15 sqm bedroom and  30 sqm livingroom that we want to cool down a little bit. Only one room at the time will be cooled, livingroom during the afternoon and bedroom during night. 

What do you suggest?

Go with a split  id reccomend dakin , you need to get the unit sized , to suit your rooms , alot of the sizing depends on things like solar gain 

Find you local dakin supplier  ,all of their modern units run on a gas called r32 , itvery environmental friendly 

Measure your rooms and work out the line of the sun , i.e east to west , the guys should do this for you 

They will run copper pipes into the rooms ,try if possible to run internally or in shade , and make sure they are insulated

Split units are not a diy job , you need to be able to solder copper pipe 

Also ask them if they do a pressure test after the installation, they will use a set of guages and should monitir it for about an hour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Go with a split  id reccomend dakin , you need to get the unit sized , to suit your rooms , alot of the sizing depends on things like solar gain 

Find you local dakin supplier  ,all of their modern units run on a gas called r32 , itvery environmental friendly 

Measure your rooms and work out the line of the sun , i.e east to west , the guys should do this for you 

They will run copper pipes into the rooms ,try if possible to run internally or in shade , and make sure they are insulated

Split units are not a diy job , you need to be able to solder copper pipe 

Also ask them if they do a pressure test after the installation, they will use a set of guages and should monitir it for about an hour 

So you don´t recommend the MULTI split types? The one´s with one outdoor unit serving several Indoor units.

I was thinking of having a multi split system with inverter, and the outdoor unit sized for the bigger room. Since we will not use both Indoor units at the same time, there will not be any problem because it is an inverter and will only work as much as neccessary to cool the smaller bedroom.

Am I thinking wrong here?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Viking said:

So you don´t recommend the MULTI split types? The one´s with one outdoor unit serving several Indoor units.

I was thinking of having a multi split system with inverter, and the outdoor unit sized for the bigger room. Since we will not use both Indoor units at the same time, there will not be any problem because it is an inverter and will only work as much as neccessary to cool the smaller bedroom.

Am I thinking wrong here?

I call them all splits lol

The multi split system is the way to go inho , sorry if this was confusing 

The big square outside unit does the donkey work , the units inside are secondary , copper pipe carries the coolant to the indoor units 

The modern splits  will have control units inside your house ,these have displays that tell you lots of information, if you take the time to read the manual ,you can install codes and set an operating temperature ,this can prevent familky and friends from over using it 

You can set them to timer or temp control

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think you really have to do your own local shopping and if possible, get local recommendations for local A/C companies.  Those that you mentioned and Abenson use sub-contractors, and you will probably find that they are the same local A/C companies.  That is what I found here in Subic / Olongapo.  The local A/C companies should be an authorized dealer for the brand you are buying.

We have a neighborhood FB group for residents here in the Freeport, and it has been great for getting tradesmen recommendations, such as A/C companies.

3.5 years ago I chose a local company who is an authorized Carrier dealer, and they did a good job back then, I think.  However, we currently have a problem with the piping on one unit sweating profusely, and after some research and closer inspection, I think their installation might have been sub-par.  They recently changed hands and all the staff are new.  They came out and really seemed clueless on the sweating.  I am going to have another recommended company take a look.

That also sounds like good advice. I will be starting my search this morning. After reading the comments here, I think I will start with the dedicated dealer/reps. I really like the idea of a long warranty and prefer to have the seller be the installer without a sub-contractor. That just sounds like a wiser move, even though it may cost more money initially, but hopefully it will pay off in the end.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2019 at 10:57 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Even the regular, Daikin split unit can be a problem.  One established AirCon company in Philippines was able to install it and clean it but when it developed a problem they said "we don't repair Daikin's, only Polaris is authorized to do that".   Duh!  Why wasn't I told that when you installed the dang thing (I purchased it online).

Catching up on this thread.  Similar problem here with Daikin.  I mentioned that that the father of my daughter's "boyfriend" owns the new Daikin dealer here.  Well, neighbor's have reported that they are basically useless for repairs.  Someone had to come out from Daikin in Manila to fix problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Similar problem here with Daikin.  I mentioned that that the father of my daughter's "boyfriend" owns the new Daikin dealer here.  Well, neighbor's have reported that they are basically useless for repairs.  Someone had to come out from Daikin in Manila to fix problems.

I fully understand and have personally tried deciphering the error code system which does not work for me.  In addition, the guys who do all the cleaning make every mistake that bastonjock says not to make.  In short, it seems that this is Philippines and things are what the are here.  Confuses the hell out of experts but those who are used to it just go with the flow.

In a country where price is everything, to the average Filipino, what units will the local repairman be most familiar with?  Answer is:  the cheapest.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I fully understand and have personally tried deciphering the error code system which does not work for me.  In addition, the guys who do all the cleaning make every mistake that bastonjock says not to make.  In short, it seems that this is Philippines and things are what the are here.  Confuses the hell out of experts but those who are used to it just go with the flow.

In a country where price is everything, to the average Filipino, what units will the local repairman be most familiar with?  Answer is:  the cheapest.

I think Kolin is one of the cheaper brands so I will mention that I am very happy with the Kolin 1.5 split inverter unit that was here when we bought the place 3.5 years ago.  The inside and outside units are very quiet and it cools our big bedroom nicely.  No problems at all.  I would consider Kolin for my next air con purchase.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2019 at 1:34 AM, robert k said:

I settled on a fairly efficient window unit because I can easily take it with me when I move. Mine isn't an inverter but it's larger than it needs to be so it cools what it needs to cool quickly and doesn't work itself to death. It made my electric bills go up about P2000 a month in my efficiency apartment.

I just reread and caught up on this thread, and I don't see this sub-topic mentioned.

According to my expertise, which was gained by my expertise in Google, the biggest use of electricity on a non-inverter unit is when it turns on.  So you want your unit to stay on at a level that will keep the room at a temp you want.  If it is cooling, shutting off, cooling, shutting off, etc., many times, that will use more electricity.

So if buying a non-inverter unit, window or split, sizing for the room is very important.  Buy a unit that is 1/2 hp less that the calculators tell you.  Then it will more likely run constantly and not shut on and off very often.

By contrast, an inverter system will cool the room and then slow down, not shut off.  That is one of the ways they use less electricity.  So, it is ok to overpower a bit with an inverter, maybe 1/2 hp.

We have two non-inverter window types in our two small bedrooms.  The previous owner took the window unit from our huge master bedroom and enlarged the hole in the smaller BR to make it fit.  Way over powered.  On and off way too much.  Also, the on and off makes a lot of noise in many units.  In these two BR, probably a .5 HP would be fine.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So if buying a non-inverter unit, window or split, sizing for the room is very important.  Buy a unit that is 1/2 hp less that the calculators tell you.  Then it will more likely run constantly and not shut on and off very often.

By contrast, an inverter system will cool the room and then slow down, not shut off.  That is one of the ways they use less electricity.  So, it is ok to overpower a bit with an inverter, maybe 1/2 hp.

Yes... I have read that same information courtesy of Kuya G. I am working now to calculate approximate required hp for our house and found this online a short while ago:

1. Horsepower

Assess the air conditioner horsepower you need based on your room’s floor area. Or when in doubt, consult your air conditioner dealer. Here’s a quick guide:

Floor Area (in square meters) / AC Unit Size (Horsepower)

10.5sqm:                     0.5 hp

11 to 14sqm:              0.75 hp

15 to 21sqm:             1.0 hp

22 to 25sqm:             1.5 hp

26 to 28sqm:             2.0 hp

39 t0 48sqm:             2.5 hp

2. The layout and the construction of your room

Once you’ve gotten a basic figure, take into consideration that your AC’s optimum unit size may increase or decrease based on the following factors of your room:

Window size

Larger, untinted windows will let in more heat.

Window location

Windows located in the eastern orientation let in heat from the rising sun (hot in the  mornings), while those in the west let in heat from the setting sun (warm mid-afternoons).

Insulation

Older houses with GI sheets for roofing offer little insulation, while newer homes have bubble foil or polyethylene ceiling or wall insulation that helps keep heat at bay.

Of course, we will rely on the dealer for the final numbers, but this at least gives me a starting point for comparing prices between stores and between brands... Gotta start somewhere.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Of course, we will rely on the dealer for the final numbers, but this at least gives me a starting point for comparing prices between stores and between brands... Gotta start somewhere.

I let my dealer talk me into two 3.0 and now in retrospect I think two 2.5 would have been just right.  With inverters over-powering is fine so I didn't worry much about the extra cost at the time.  The dealer will probably try to sell you the largest possible unit as they are probably more profitable, so it is good to have a ballpark hp in mind when you go in.  If they say something a lot larger is the correct size, you need to ask for and get all the details that went into their assessment.

• Like 2