The Marcos Legacy - Case Dismissed

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I did not know where to post this, or if really could even be posted, but I decided to take a chance here. I don't offer any opinion, just an article I caught on MSNBC a little while ago....

Sandigan junks P102-B forfeiture case vs. Marcoses, cronies

Kaufman, Karl

14 hrs ago

© Jannielyn Bigtas, GMA News Sandiganbayan thumbnail

The Sandiganbayan has junked a P102-billion forfeiture case against the late President Ferdinand Marcos and his wife, former First Lady Imelda Marcos, as well as 11 of their cronies due to insufficient evidence.

In a 67-page ruling on Civil Case 0034 dated August 5, the Sandiganbayan Second Division said the plaintiff—in this case the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG), the government agency in charge of recovering the Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth—failed to present evidence that the Marcos couple did the following:

participated in extending loan accommodation to Aklan Bulk Carriers, Inc., Fuga Bulk Carriers, Inc., Coron Bulk Carriers, Inc., and Ecija Bulk Carriers, Inc.;

appropriated revenues derived from the operations of RPN-9, IBC-13 and BBC-2 for their own benefit and unjust enrichment and income;

allowed their 11 other co-accused to hold and launder purloined funds for and in their behalf prior to remittance and credit to their overseas or foreign accounts; and

participated in the establishment of the California Overseas Bank.

"It saddens the Court that it took more than 30 years before this case is submitted for decision and yet, the prosecution failed to present sufficient evidence to sustain any of the causes of action against the remaining defendants," the anti-graft court said in its ruling.

"It is settled that in civil cases, the party making allegations has the burden of proving them by a preponderance of evidence. In addition, the parties must rely on the strength of their own evidence, not upon the weakness of the defense offered by their opponent," it added. 

The Sandiganbayan also said the PCGG failed to illustrate how the other defendants acted as dummies of Mrs. Marcos in acquiring ill-gotten wealth.

"Wherefore, premises considered, for failure of the plaintiff to prove by preponderance of evidence any of the causes of action against defendants Ferdinand E. Marcos, Imelda Marcos, Rafael Sison, Placido Mapa, Jr., Don M. Ferry, Jose R. Tengco, Jr., Ramon Monzon, Generosa C. Olazo, Cynthia Cheong, Ma. Luisa E. Nograles, Leopoldo Vergara, Jose L. Africa and Rodolfo Arambulo, the case against them is hereby dismissed,” the Sandiganbayan said. —KBK, GMA News

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember reading this the other day. "Leave a legacy"....... Author Bob Gass RIP

A Christian Publication which gives daily insights

28th July 2018 Word for Today......... Mozart, for those interested.

United Christian Broadcasters | Christian Media Charity

Edited by Kuya John

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I did not know where to post this, or if really could even be posted, but I decided to take a chance here. I don't offer any opinion, just an article I caught on MSNBC a little while ago....

Sandigan junks P102-B forfeiture case vs. Marcoses, cronies

Kaufman, Karl

14 hrs ago

© Jannielyn Bigtas, GMA News Sandiganbayan thumbnail

The Sandiganbayan has junked a P102-billion forfeiture case against the late President Ferdinand Marcos and his wife, former First Lady Imelda Marcos, as well as 11 of their cronies due to insufficient evidence.

In a 67-page ruling on Civil Case 0034 dated August 5, the Sandiganbayan Second Division said the plaintiff—in this case the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG), the government agency in charge of recovering the Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth—failed to present evidence that the Marcos couple did the following:

participated in extending loan accommodation to Aklan Bulk Carriers, Inc., Fuga Bulk Carriers, Inc., Coron Bulk Carriers, Inc., and Ecija Bulk Carriers, Inc.;

appropriated revenues derived from the operations of RPN-9, IBC-13 and BBC-2 for their own benefit and unjust enrichment and income;

allowed their 11 other co-accused to hold and launder purloined funds for and in their behalf prior to remittance and credit to their overseas or foreign accounts; and

participated in the establishment of the California Overseas Bank.

"It saddens the Court that it took more than 30 years before this case is submitted for decision and yet, the prosecution failed to present sufficient evidence to sustain any of the causes of action against the remaining defendants," the anti-graft court said in its ruling.

"It is settled that in civil cases, the party making allegations has the burden of proving them by a preponderance of evidence. In addition, the parties must rely on the strength of their own evidence, not upon the weakness of the defense offered by their opponent," it added. 

The Sandiganbayan also said the PCGG failed to illustrate how the other defendants acted as dummies of Mrs. Marcos in acquiring ill-gotten wealth.

"Wherefore, premises considered, for failure of the plaintiff to prove by preponderance of evidence any of the causes of action against defendants Ferdinand E. Marcos, Imelda Marcos, Rafael Sison, Placido Mapa, Jr., Don M. Ferry, Jose R. Tengco, Jr., Ramon Monzon, Generosa C. Olazo, Cynthia Cheong, Ma. Luisa E. Nograles, Leopoldo Vergara, Jose L. Africa and Rodolfo Arambulo, the case against them is hereby dismissed,” the Sandiganbayan said. —KBK, GMA News

Was anyone seriously surprised by the ruling? I know that I was not. :shades: Judges deserve extravagant lifestyles too!:no: 

• Like 1