American volunteer shot

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

HK... Thank you for a really incredible and thoughtful reply and rebuttal to my comment. I could never have voiced your thoughts better than you did.

I have one relative still working in HK so I am always concerned about her well-being and safety - that is the only reason why I say anything here. She is not at all the type to go out and demonstrate at all.

I was just wondering about the difference between behaviour here and there and you described and explained it perfectly... thanks!

Thank You!

P.S. I think it's relatively safe for residents as long as they avoid the demonstration areas, Tom.  

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hmmm... However... I am concerned, HK because both you and Jack have made comments at different times on different topics about expecting my replies... I think I am becoming too predictable... So I will try to change my thoughts and replies in future...:hystery:

I knew you were going to say that! :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

P.S. I think it's relatively safe for residents as long as they avoid the demonstration areas, Tom.  

Yeah... That's what she says too. I just advise her - repeatedly - to just be very careful and stay clear of any suspect areas whenever she needs to go out. She feels totally safe, but I am always a bit concerned...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I knew you were going to say that! :smile:

S**t!!! Okay... You and Jack... will both be pleased... I shut my mouth and keyboard now!!!!!!:1927_:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I shut my mouth and keyboard now!!!!!!:1927_:

Promises, Promises

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I just don't see why an individual should not be allowed to express their opinion within the remit of the law of the country they are in. 

I see degrees of "expressing an opinion".

For example:  A Canadian "snowbird" in the US can express his political opinion mildly but if he gets too loud and controversial he will be told, by US citizens, to go back to his own country. There is no law against doing it, but American citizens will invoke extreme peer pressure to stay out of their politics.

Doing the same thing in the Philippines could get that same Canadian shot or deported.  That is because there IS a law against it.

In both instances, it is wise to refrain from controversial political discussions in a country where we are not citizens.

The above is only one individual expressing my opinion, but if you disagree you may be shot or deported. :hystery::hystery::bonk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see degrees of "expressing an opinion".

For example:  A Canadian "snowbird" in the US can express his political opinion mildly but if he gets too loud and controversial he will be told, by US citizens, to go back to his own country. There is no law against doing it, but American citizens will invoke extreme peer pressure to stay out of their politics.

Doing the same thing in the Philippines could get that same Canadian shot or deported.  That is because there IS a law against it.

In both instances, it is wise to refrain from controversial political discussions in a country where we are not citizens.

The above is only one individual expressing my opinion, but if you disagree you may be shot or deported. :hystery::hystery::bonk:

Yes, there are ways and means of expressing opinion - indeed, one of the Filipinos mentioned by Tom was arrested for perhaps over-vociferous protesting! 

But, there is a difference between believing we should have the right to do something and actually doing it.  I would refrain from getting involved in political discussions in a foreign country because it could be viewed as impolite and, to be honest, politics bores me!  That said, I wouldn't expect my government to tell me not to do so if the law allows it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Well it's nice to see that people are able to express their opinions in a pleasant manner, so hat's off to Tommy and HK Blues. :tiphat:

As a guest in a foreign country, this topic shows it is not wise to partake in politics in anyway that draws attention to oneself.

Freedom of speech comes at a price in any country in world in this day and age, whether you offend the Government or people of extreme views or motives, that may well wish to harm you. Sad but True.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The above is only one individual expressing my opinion, but if you disagree you may be shot or deported

The floggings will continue until moral improves!!!:hystery:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I would also not be comfortable with my wife getting involved in politics at a local level either. You would likely be looked on as tbe power behind the throne.

• Like 3