Dental Implants

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing Don. 50,000 peso is about 1/3 the price in the States I think?

Next year I will have several crowns done in Cebu. Plan to spend several months in country. Maybe more.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Thanks for sharing Don. 50,000 peso is about 1/3 the price in the States I think?

Next year I will have several crowns done in Cebu. Plan to spend several months in country. Maybe more.

I think getting an implant for $3000 in the U.S. is on the low end of the scale, but i would guess that dental insurance covers some of that lately?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think getting an implant for $3000 in the U.S. is on the low end of the scale, but i would guess that dental insurance covers some of that lately?

For reference I was qouted $20,000 Australian for 4 implants (about $3500 US per tooth minus any insurance payment one might get).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I still have very good insurance from my old workplace. Dental implants were considered cosmetic dentistry and not covered. It's great to know quality implant work at that price can be found in Philippines.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Dental implants were considered cosmetic dentistry and not covered.

That is what I was wondering.  I thought that perhaps they were more mainstream now and covered.  If you get a bridge, you have to damage the teeth on either side, so that seems the less than optimal treatment now.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There is another type of implant called a roundhouse which is a complete upper or lower set of teeth secured by implants. A permanent solution most like having perfect natural teeth. Seems in the long run it might be better to get the whole thing done than replacing a tooth here... getting a crown or filling there. Has anyone run across any dentists in the Philippines who do roundhouse implants?

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, earthdome said:

There is another type of implant called a roundhouse which is a complete upper or lower set of teeth secured by implants.

I checked those out, they're available in Melbourne but my Bendigo dentist (who was happy to recommend a couple of dentists who could do implants) strongly recommended against the type which were an entire plate secured only at a few drilled points (generally 4).  I'm guessing that's the type you're talking about?

She said that they badly stressed the lower jaw bone (and to a lesser degree the upper jaw) because unlike implants where each tooth has a drilled mount the entire force of biting (which is surprisingly large) is directed at only 4 narrow places in the jaw. 

It can (and has) created serious issues (not always but too many for her to be ok with the procedure).

NB she didn't have a financial interest in either procedure so I believe she believed what she was saying.

And honestly it sort of made sense to me once she explained it, there would be all sorts of twisting force on the offset drilled mount points (unlike a dental plate which firstly isn't fixed in place and secondly the biting force is spread across the entire plate.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, earthdome said:

There is another type of implant called a roundhouse which is a complete upper or lower set of teeth secured by implants. A permanent solution most like having perfect natural teeth. Seems in the long run it might be better to get the whole thing done than replacing a tooth here... getting a crown or filling there. Has anyone run across any dentists in the Philippines who do roundhouse implants?

I have not heard of them here.  That seemed to make sense if getting a lot of teeth fixed, but then I read what Geoff said and that makes sense too.  Putting all the force on fewer points might stress the bones.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have not heard of them here.  That seemed to make sense if getting a lot of teeth fixed, but then I read what Geoff said and that makes sense too.  Putting all the force on fewer points might stress the bones.

If you search the procedure you will find information about 10 - 12 implants being used depending on the condition of the underlying bone. The implants are smaller than for a single tooth but more numerous. Perhaps this is a newer design to address the issue Geoff mentioned.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

If you search the procedure you will find information about 10 - 12 implants being used depending on the condition of the underlying bone. The implants are smaller than for a single tooth but more numerous. Perhaps this is a newer design to address the issue Geoff mentioned.

I believe you’re correct. I wear full upper and lower dentures. About 10 years ago a dentist in the USA (Sexton dental clinic in South Carolina) had quoted me 6k for removable dentures that would “snap” onto 2 pins; one set in my upper jaw and one set in my lower jaw. I later went my regular dentist in Florida for a new denture and was advised against the implants for the same reasons mentioned by Geoff. He advised waiting until the technology got better. On my next visit - to get my dentures relined - he said an associate was doing the procedure, but was using 4-8 pins per jaw (Depending on the bone density of each person). 

I haven’t looked into it recently, but am still considering getting it done. I did see ads for implants at Smile Makeover and Bonafacio dental clinics in Angeles City. Perhaps when the travel ban is lifted and I can return I’ll check into it as I’m sure it’ll cost less then in the USA. 

• Like 2