Dental Implants

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have considered implants but at my age (69), I figured the money was better spent elsewhere.  And they close your mouth when they put you in the casket anyway. :hystery:

You are like my wife!  She is still young but is constantly weight the benefit vs. spending the money elsewhere.  I keep telling her it is not either / or;  we have more than enough money for everything!

Regarding dying.  I recommend that when you feel the urge, have a tooth pulling party and pull all your teeth.  Give the gold ones to your wife to raise some cash and give the others away as party favors!  Then they can put them under their pillows for the tooth fairy, generating more cash!

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The surgeon drilled into the jaw

Hammer drill?  Bosch or Makita? :shock_40_anim_gif:

then fit on a crown

I think just calling it a fake tooth (prosthetic?) is more appropriate.  A crown is a "hat" that sits on a natural tooth.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

With mine, they needed to fill in my upper jaw because the bone there was thin. That took two procedures, then waiting time for the bone grafts to "take" and be solid and integrated enough for the implant.

I hope I don't need the graft procedure.  How long do you have to wait after that, before they proceed?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope I don't need the graft procedure.  How long do you have to wait after that, before they proceed?

You need to wait until all swelling has gone before the final fitment, keep well away from anyone promising a smile in a day.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think just calling it a fake tooth (prosthetic?) is more appropriate.  A crown is a "hat" that sits on a natural tooth.

Well, OMW this was a "hat" perched on a fake tooth or post - same difference, I guess:biggrin:...

23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Hmmm... it was more like a Dremyl...

Well, OMW... the oral surgeon who implanted the "imposter," :laugh: told me to go to my regular dentist to get a crown on it. It was exactly the same procedure... and the dentist also called it a crown... what can I say to that? Times have changed - I just haven't:SugarwareZ-034:

38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There were two grafts.... First one was right after the tooth extraction - I mean minutes after... He injected cadaver bone... really!... right into the hole in the jaw left from the tooth root. He covered that over and said come back in four months.

When I returned (I was flying into and out of Seattle from Palau) he did another panoramic x-ray, said first one was good. Then put me under for a couple of hours and mixed cadaver bone, some of mine (from where he crunched into my jaw and took some) and some of my own platelets that he extracted from some blood he drew. I told you... it was complicated. Then he cut into my upper jaw into my sinus and injected that mixture right above the site for the implant. Then told me to come back in four months again.

Then I was x-rayed again and was told all was well and he drilled and screwed in the actual implant. Told me to come back in another four to six weeks...

I am positive it is not so complex or involved today... But I am also sure that he did a really careful and good job. All along he said - no promises, but you have a 90% chance all will work out fine... He was covering his ass but it all worked out fine, fortunately.

My oral surgeon here said that this other guy did it "old school," but it was a success... just so pricey back then!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gary D said:

You need to wait until all swelling has gone before the final fitment, keep well away from anyone promising a smile in a day.

Are you referring to the graft to implant time, or the implant to fake tooth time?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

Are you referring to the graft to implant time, or the implant to fake tooth time?

How can you make the fake tooth the correct size/shape if your gum are all swollen up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well, OMW this was a "hat" perched on a fake tooth or post - same difference, I guess:biggrin:...

Hmmm... it was more like a Dremyl...

Well, OMW... the oral surgeon who implanted the "imposter," :laugh: told me to go to my regular dentist to get a crown on it. It was exactly the same procedure... and the dentist also called it a crown... what can I say to that? Times have changed - I just haven't:SugarwareZ-034:

There were two grafts.... First one was right after the tooth extraction - I mean minutes after... He injected cadaver bone... really!... right into the hole in the jaw left from the tooth root. He covered that over and said come back in four months.

When I returned (I was flying into and out of Seattle from Palau) he did another panoramic x-ray, said first one was good. Then put me under for a couple of hours and mixed cadaver bone, some of mine (from where he crunched into my jaw and took some) and some of my own platelets that he extracted from some blood he drew. I told you... it was complicated. Then he cut into my upper jaw into my sinus and injected that mixture right above the site for the implant. Then told me to come back in four months again.

Then I was x-rayed again and was told all was well and he drilled and screwed in the actual implant. Told me to come back in another two months...

I am positive it is not so complex or involved today... But I am also sure that he did a really careful and good job. All along he said - no promises, but you have a 90% chance all will work out fine... He was covering his ass but it all worked out fine, fortunately.

My oral surgeon here said that this other guy did it "old school," but it was a success... just so pricey back then!

Wow!  That is a long time to wait on the grafts!  If I need grafts that might impact my decision.  My wife does not need grafts.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

How can you make the fake tooth the correct size/shape if your gum are all swollen up.

Agree, but I was asking about his grafts, so that is why I was confused.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Wow!  That is a long time to wait on the grafts!  If I need grafts that might impact my decision.  My wife does not need grafts.

OMW...please don't use the word "impact" when referring to teeth?":hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1