Dental Implants

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Old55 said:

Mark, I have read and heard from those who have it done that Thailand is an affordable location for high quality dental implants. I do not know any clinics perhaps you can find something online?

I also know some wealthy Filipinos fly to Japan, Hong Kong or US for implants.  

20 hours ago, mark richards said:

Are implants affordable, and reliable, in phils? My U.S.dental insurance doesn't cover them. I've had good work (crown & bridge) done in Eastwood City, for a low price, but in Makati a high-tech dentist charged prices comparable to in U.S.

I had my implant done in Jomtien, Thailand, near to Pattaya some years ago now. I am very happy with it. The dentist who did it has his own private clinic but is also a consultant surgeon at the Bangkok Hospital, which is probably the best hospital in Thailand. If I needed another one, that is the place I would return to and combine it with a holiday. Cost was 50,000thb. Perhaps not such good value now, with the poor exchange rate, but certainly a first rate dentist.

Their website is   http://oceandent.com

They were recommended to me by the Pattaya Expats Club and I know that many expats use them.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
Inclusion of website
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I had my implant done in Jomtien, Thailand, near to Pattaya some years ago now. I am very happy with it. The dentist who did it has his own private clinic but is also a consultant surgeon at the Bangkok Hospital, which is probably the best hospital in Thailand. If I needed another one, that is the place I would return to and combine it with a holiday. Cost was 50,000thb. Perhaps not such good value now, with the poor exchange rate, but certainly a first rate dentist.

I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the clinic here but if you would like to know, please PM me.

Ken

It might still be a bargain when you imagine the cost of poor work done, and redone.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, robert k said:

It might still be a bargain when you imagine the cost of poor work done, and redone.

I say "amen" to that, Robert, after my experiences with a "dentist" at St. Lukes in Makati for a root canal 8 years ago - ended up costing me about $10k to fix it. My case was also presented to a seminar of dentists in Seattle about how NOT to do a root canal. My dentist there was amused to see it - I was pissed - but laughed eventually...but it hurt...

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the clinic here but if you would like to know, please PM me

Of course you can unless you are the dentist :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Of course you can unless you are the dentist :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

Thanks Tom. I have edited my post to include their website.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, OnMyWay said:

She had what is called an immediate implant, which means right after extraction.  Some others wait 6 months after extraction, and he says the immediate implant has a 2% higher failure rate, but otherwise is a great time saver.

Well, unfortunately, my wife's "immediate" implant did not take.  She fell into the 5-10% bucket that are not successful.  Normally, the bone grows around the implant but hers did not.  He said it was fine when he took the sutures out after 4 days, but today, after 2.5 weeks, he knew right away that it did not take.  He doesn't know for sure why but he is sending the implant to the manufacturer's lab in Germany, where they will analyze it.

So the fallback is just to go back to a "normal" implant schedule, where there is a waiting period after extraction.  She will wait 4 months until January and he will see how everything looks then.  No extra costs involved; just time.  I still trust the German dentist and will most likely have him do an implant on me in the coming months.

My oldest daughter got her upper braces installed by the other dentist.  The lowers will come after a certain tooth is moved a bit.

• Sad 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Well I decided to have my implant finished here in the states, I just dropped $950 for the crown and it will be installed in 3 weeks, in the end it was only $1500 with insurance, there was a sale at the time when I started the procedure, my other 2 weren't much more. The one I had done on my upper teeth the dentist ended up going through my jaw and into my sinus cavity, he did some procedure to patch it up but I had bone graft coming out of my nose for about a week. They do call it a crown here in the states BTWimage.png

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Heeb said:

They do call it a crown here in the states BTW

Yes thats the false tooth attached to the implant. If not you have a screw looking thing in your mouth and not much luck chewing a steak. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, unfortunately, my wife's "immediate" implant did not take.  She fell into the 5-10% bucket that are not successful.  Normally, the bone grows around the implant but hers did not.  He said it was fine when he took the sutures out after 4 days, but today, after 2.5 weeks, he knew right away that it did not take.  He doesn't know for sure why but he is sending the implant to the manufacturer's lab in Germany, where they will analyze it.

So the fallback is just to go back to a "normal" implant schedule, where there is a waiting period after extraction.  She will wait 4 months until January and he will see how everything looks then.  No extra costs involved; just time.  I still trust the German dentist and will most likely have him do an implant on me in the coming months.

My oldest daughter got her upper braces installed by the other dentist.  The lowers will come after a certain tooth is moved a bit.

Very sorry to hear that OMW. It sounds like she will need to have it done in a similar fashion to mine. So I guess the old way is still a good way? My surgeon told me along every step that there was a 10% or so chance of failure. I happened to be lucky...

Oh... and my crown was cemented on, there was never a discussion about having a screw to secure it. My dentist asked me if I wanted permanent or temporary cement for that, in case it loosened and required a refit. I told her to go permanent and take my chances. After three years, no problem and I am pleased.

Again...you get what you pay for. I paid a fortune, but I have a happy tooth again...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

My surgeon told me along every step that there was a 10% or so chance of failure.

Yes, roughly that is what he told us beforehand.  The "immediate" implant right after tooth extraction has a slightly higher chance of failure but saves a lot of time.  If appropriate, if my bone is all in good shape and he says it looks good for an immediate implant, I will take my chances and do it.  If it fails, nothing lost except time, and maybe a bit more time in the chair.

• Like 1