Dental Implants

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, roughly that is what he told us beforehand.  The "immediate" implant right after tooth extraction has a slightly higher chance of failure but saves a lot of time.  If appropriate, if my bone is all in good shape and he says it looks good for an immediate implant, I will take my chances and do it.  If it fails, nothing lost except time, and maybe a bit more time in the chair.

I hope it works out okay for you and your wife.

With me, the surgeon took panoramic x-rays using an expensive all-around machine. He did that before every step he took - I am surprised I don't glow in the dark now!!! He was mainly checking bone density and that's why he took so many steps to add bone mass to my ageing upper jaw - filling the old root hole and adding to the top in the sinus area.

But interestingly, he had a hell of a time extracting the tooth with the bad root canal. He said I had very tough bone, so I guess I don't have so much, but what is left is very strong? He had to split it and pull it out in pieces - not fun for him or me.

graham59
Posted
Posted

My first one is doing well. :thumbsup:

one tooth.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, graham59 said:

My first one is doing well. :thumbsup:

Graham... you look younger than I imagined!:hystery:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So my daughter started her orthodontics with the Filipina dentist on Thursday.  Had the uppers installed.  Dentist wanted to wanted to wait for the lowers, until her upper incisors aligned.  I was amazed then the teeth moved in only a few days!  My daughter came to me Saturday evening and said, look, they already moved!  I had braces when I was young and all I remember is months and months of torture.  So today the dentist installed the lowers.  My daughter is very happy with the braces and they have pink bands, so she can dress to match.

I dropped her off at 6:15 pm and the dentist delivered her to our door at 8 pm, along with some cinnamon raisin coconut bars she baked.  Darn good service!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/30/2019 at 8:25 AM, OnMyWay said:

Yes, roughly that is what he told us beforehand.  The "immediate" implant right after tooth extraction has a slightly higher chance of failure but saves a lot of time.  If appropriate, if my bone is all in good shape and he says it looks good for an immediate implant, I will take my chances and do it.  If it fails, nothing lost except time, and maybe a bit more time in the chair.

Well  it looks like the "immediate" implant will not be an option for me.  Around Wednesday last week my problem molar (root canal with gold crown) started flaring up.  Friday night until today I have had severe pain.  At times, the worst pain of my life, I think.  Last night and this morning, my cheek and jaw swelled up a lot, but I think the meds are finally working and it is starting to reverse.

So I saw Dra. K yesterday.  She ground off the top of crown a bit so it so it would not be so easy to accidently hit it while chewing on tje other side.  Now, antibiotics and painkillers to knock it down for a few days.  Maybe on Wednesday she will extract it.

The German dentist will not be back until mid October, so I will just do the normal waiting period and have him do the implant next year.

I guess I can't complain about the gold crown and root canal.  They were done around 1980!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, OnMyWay said:

Well  it looks like the "immediate" implant will not be an option for me.  Around Wednesday last week my problem molar (root canal with gold crown) started flaring up.  Friday night until today I have had severe pain.  At times, the worst pain of my life, I think.  Last night and this morning, my cheek and jaw swelled up a lot, but I think the meds are finally working and it is starting to reverse.

So I saw Dra. K yesterday.  She ground off the top of crown a bit so it so it would not be so easy to accidently hit it while chewing on tje other side.  Now, antibiotics and painkillers to knock it down for a few days.  Maybe on Wednesday she will extract it.

The German dentist will not be back until mid October, so I will just do the normal waiting period and have him do the implant next year.

I guess I can't complain about the gold crown and root canal.  They were done around 1980!

Went to get the problem molar extracted this past Saturday.  No go.  Had my teeth cleaned and ready to go, then she asked about my medications and blood thinning meds especially.  I told her I take an 80 mg aspirin daily and she halted.  Called her sister who is an MD to double check, and sis said stop it for at least a week, preferably two.  We rescheduled for next Saturday.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, Tommy T. said:

I hope it works out okay for you and your wife.

With me, the surgeon took panoramic x-rays using an expensive all-around machine. He did that before every step he took - I am surprised I don't glow in the dark now!!! He was mainly checking bone density and that's why he took so many steps to add bone mass to my ageing upper jaw - filling the old root hole and adding to the top in the sinus area.

But interestingly, he had a hell of a time extracting the tooth with the bad root canal. He said I had very tough bone, so I guess I don't have so much, but what is left is very strong? He had to split it and pull it out in pieces - not fun for him or me.

I had a panoramic Saturday before I was scheduled for the extraction.  She is also worried that the tooth might break.  She said root canal teeth become brittle.  I'm not looking forward to next Saturday.

I'll probably get another Panoramic later.  This one was not great.  Seemed their printer was not great and I didn't see it until I got home, just before I went to the other dentist.  They cost p1000 but well worth it for me.  My dentist doesn't have the pano machine but she has an agreement with a nearby clinic.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

They cost p1000 but well worth it for me.  My dentist doesn't have the pano machine but she has an agreement with a nearby clinic.

Sorry you are up for some hassles there. I am shocked at the price for your panoramic x-ray... I think mine cost me something like US$150 or more for each one...

But I was lucky because they used nitrous oxide for sedation and that made me relax. I have not seen that here yet at all... Last time I went to the dentist, I checked with another doctor first (a cardiologist because I am an old fart) who gave me a prescription for something similar to Valium. I need that because I have a strong gag reflex and this helps settle that down...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry you are up for some hassles there. I am shocked at the price for your panoramic x-ray... I think mine cost me something like US$150 or more for each one...

But I was lucky because they used nitrous oxide for sedation and that made me relax. I have not seen that here yet at all... Last time I went to the dentist, I checked with another doctor first (a cardiologist because I am an old fart) who gave me a prescription for something similar to Valium. I need that because I have a strong gag reflex and this helps settle that down...

Wow!  $150 for the pano x-ray!  So we now know that was $10 for the actual cost to do it, $40 profit, and $100 to a malpractice insurance company in case the machine fries your brain!  :hystery:  Sad but partially true in sue happy, lawyer run good old USA!

She suggested I get a Drs. release from a cardio if I want to keep taking the aspirin.  I had a hard time making her understand that I started the aspirin regimen on my own for preventative reasons.  In any case, I told her I have a cardio release from just a few months ago, due to my shoulder surgery.  She said ok, we will just check your blood pressure before we pull it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

She suggested I get a Drs. release from a cardio if I want to keep taking the aspirin.  I had a hard time making her understand that I started the aspirin regimen on my own for preventative reasons.  In any case, I told her I have a cardio release from just a few months ago, due to my shoulder surgery.  She said ok, we will just check your blood pressure before we pull it.

So, remember that I am not a doctor. However, I suggest you consider not taking aspirin for maybe 24 hours before you go to have your dental surgery? The aspirin thins your blood so you will tend to bleed more and you don't want that, I think?...

Personally, I feel that I know much more about my body than any doctor. But they do have the expertise and training and I won't argue with that...