Water Tank Towers.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I am wondering what the reason is for having these water tanks elevated to service the houses with water, I have given it great thought over Heiniken, San Miguel even gin and tonics to come up with the physics behind it, so readers I welcome any suggestions why my reasoning is flawed.

My thinking is the water goes up to the tank from the mains service, so on the discharge side of the tank at the bottom the hydrostatic head forces the water into the pump, which in turns pressurises the pressure tank to the preset pressure, so the water pump is just a means of transferring the water from the tank above to the pressure tank.

How am I doing so far? All theories put forward are welcome as I don't have an engineering background, drinking in bars and women are my forte and downfall.

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

It depends on your local water pressure. In our previous house here the supplied water pressure was very good. In our current rental house it is pathetic. The two options that seem popular is either a tall water storage tank, above the roof line, with a smallish pump to fill the tank from the mains supply and gravity feeds all your taps. The higher the 'head' of water, the greater the tap water pressure. The other option is a low level storage tank fed by the mains pressure and a larger pump which provides water from the tank to the taps at a much higher pressure. 

We are in the early stages of constructing our house and plan on the second of those options as the local mains water pressure is not good.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Your second option is what I am thinking about also, as our mains pressure is so bad I reckon the water is just not getting to the tank, as the tank is 15ft above ground I reckon gravity takes over and it just won't get there.

When you go with option 2 is there a special pump that you will have to acquire, positive head pump or some such name, or just a 1 HP  transfer pump? 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

We use a pressure pump: when the tap is turned on the pump will start, but if there is enough pressure in the air bladder, ( Google pressure pumps ) the pump doesn't necessarily run. A little dearer first off, but the pump doesn't turn on and off all the time, save on points. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Further to my previous posts, so today I am going to cut into the supply line from the street and time how long it takes to fill a 10 litre bucket, to see if it is worthwhile putting a a 1hp transfer pump in the line to suck the guts out of the mains water, I don't reckon a pump will collapse the poly pipe as a hack saw is needed to cut it.

On the same subject but different I asked the GF if she has a copy of our last water bill to see if there is a supply charge on it from the provider, surely I should be able to get a refund, only joking folks.

I did get the provider out here a couple of weeks ago about no water, four "technicians" came out and while they were here I broke the plumbing inlet and showed them were there was no water coming through, they agreed that there was no water coming from the street and walked off, never to be seen or heard from again.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I did get the provider out here a couple of weeks ago about no water, four "technicians" came out and while they were here I broke the plumbing inlet and showed them were there was no water coming through, they agreed that there was no water coming from the street and walked off, never to be seen or heard from again.

They must have done their uni degrees in Australia. :hystery:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

CFMEU, or when they on a RDO?

• Haha 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My water comes from my well to a ground level tank housing 84 gallons. When the tank is full the pressure is good but as the level drops so does the pressure. In the not distant future we will be putting a 250 gallon tank on an 18 foot tower which should then give us constant pressure. This will also give a greater water supply during all day brownouts. Costings for this have been appraised at around P20,000, money well spent if it lives up to it's promise.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

If its anywhere like where we live from 6am Saturday until 6pm sunday we have no water pressure !

This has been going on for months ! Which is why a lot of families here have water tanks which they fill duribg the week for use at weekends. All the water company say is its an ongoing problem !

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Which is the same here in Camarines Norte, no water from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. so the washing is done late at night.