Water Tank Towers.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Just come back from a visit to the local hardware man where I learnt something.

The reason people have water tanks up so high is that they rely on the hydrostatic head of the height of the water tank to deliver water without the need of pressure tank and pump, something I suspected but now I know, it seems that along the way people here have over engineered everything and wasted a lot of money to achieve the same result, i.e. just water to the house.

But while I was there at the hardware store the bloke there showed my something he just installed himself for 5k

A little 1/2 hp pump with its own miniature pressure tank, automatic shut off at 40 psi, stainless steel shaft and overheat protection, the great idea is the simplicity of this, no overhead tanks.

The only drawback to it is that there has to be a supply of water to be effective. 

That excludes me, oh well I really like the idea.

You see as mentioned by me before no one has been able to explain to me about the tank being so high, giving me the blank look when I mention atmospheric pressure and the water won't go up that high by itself, .

I am not going to give up on this, as I mentioned in another thread about a plumber wanting to install two tanks, the top tank being supplied by water from a suction pump, and then the overflow of that going down to the second tank, where another pump supplies water to the pressure tank. He hasn't been back after I said "For PHUCK Sake you are actually serious"!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

The only drawback to it is that there has to be a supply of water to be effective. 

I thought I posted some ideas here but must have cancelled instead...

Have you considered catching rainwater on your roof and storing that in a tank? You could use the water for non-drinking things like flushing toilets and laundry if left untreated. Or you could filter and treat it for consumption?

I did this for years on my yacht. You just need a roof that you keep clean and that is made of something non-porous.

Just a thought for you...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

The other drawback is you electricity, otherwise it stops working in a brownout as the air bladder in those is just about the size of my own 69 year old pee bladder. 

The reason for the tanks on the high platforms is to supply pressure like the hardware store guy told you.  But, you also need a pump to get the water up there.  So tank on the ground, or tank up high, you need a pump either way.  The advantage to the tower is you still have pressure in a brownout, so you have water, and pressure, until the tank runs out. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Have you considered catching rainwater on your roof and storing that in a tank?

We plan on doing that.  We will use it to water the lawn, plants, and garden area.  Will need a small pump, maybe 1/4 horse to supply the pressure.  I was thinking of those 1000 litre fibreglass tanks you see being used to deliver water.  Add bleach once in awhile to keep algae from growing or kill what happens to be growing in the tank(s).

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

We plan on doing that.  We will use it to water the lawn, plants, and garden area.  Will need a small pump, maybe 1/4 horse to supply the pressure.  I was thinking of those 1000 litre fibreglass tanks you see being used to deliver water.  Add bleach once in awhile to keep algae from growing or kill what happens to be growing in the tank(s).

If your roof is fairly clean, you could filter and process that water? Or too much stuff falling on it and too much expense?

Even if not for drinking I assume you will at least screen it finely for chunky bits of things. Make sure your tank(s) can be opened for periodic cleaning too?

It just seems like a wonderful idea for those with little to no water pressure or supply. But it can be expensive and a hassle to set up too...

Could you please update about that as you go? I am interested to see what you do and how you do it. I am good with yachts, but not so much with homes, and especially not here.

Edited by Tommy T.