No more beef

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Question I can't find an answer too

What is the average engine size of an American car or pickup truck, note: not one beefed up!

Standard production models.

Before we ban the production of beef cattle there must be other ways, to try first.

Some people believe Climate Change is a load of Bull-sh**

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Some people believe Climate Change is a load of Bull-sh**

Yep.  That stuff gives off methane too,

I would not go so far as to say Climate Change is BS.  I will only say that no one has proven, to my satisfaction, what the main causes are and whether anything we do now will actually change the climate enough to make a difference.  I'm not from Missouri but I agree with them:  Show me!

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

What is the average engine size of an American car or pickup truck, note: not one beefed up!

Careful with your question Kuya...You may need to define it a bit further. Engine size today does not mean so much... It is power output and torque, whether you define it in horsepower or kilowatts... You can have a fairly small four cylinder engine putting out a measely 150 horsepower (sorry, I am locked into that version) because it is naturally aspirated. You can find similar sized, or smaller or larger four cylinder engines popping 350-400+ horsepower because of modifications including one or more turbo-chargers, super-chargers...etc.

Not criticizing you Kuya... I see what you are saying and agree with you. It seems to me that powerful vehicles seem to be getting a bit crazy in recent times...Especially us Americans are extremely wasteful with energy. There have been studies showing the energy use of Americans compared, say, to Chinese and other less developed countries (but they are catching up fast) and the American use was some crazy high ratio - like 10:1 or worse. Sorry, just guessing on that - it's already been a year or more since I read about that so - like so many things, my memory fails me... But it is significant.

I can't imagine giving up burritos!!!!:SugarwareZ-034:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I would not go so far as to say Climate Change is BS. 

The only thing I can suggest, Dave, (and I am not a climate change fanatic) is that, in the past 150 years or so, humans have released a huge amount of carbon from the ground - through fossil fuels. Also the burning down of jungles in third world countries is a double whammy - my opinion. Add the carbon to the air through the burning, and destroy the "batteries" that naturally recharge the oxygen through reducing carbon... trees!

Again, maybe I am wrong... I am definitely not a scientist. I just look at what we are doing, regardless of what recorded recent temperatures and climate tendencies apparently show. It just makes sense to me...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It just makes sense to me..

So what about cow burps being 20 times more powerful than those emissions.  Does that make sense to you?  NASA is concerned enough to be studying it

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/33/which-is-a-bigger-methane-source-cow-belching-or-cow-flatulence/

So what we see as common sense may all be hogwash, or not.  Nobody knows what the major culprit is.  We only know the climate is changing and all the scientists are competing to be the one to prove why.

As to the headlines of not eating beef . .  well back in the day it was butter that was bad so people stopped eating that and now we have margerine . . . but butter was shown to not be bad.  Silly scientists.

Despite its longstanding reputation as an unhealthy ingredient, most research shows that butter can be included in moderation as part of a balanced diet and may even be associated with several health benefits.https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-butter-bad-for-you#evidence

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So what about cow burps being 20 times more powerful than those emissions.  Does that make sense to you?  NASA is concerned enough to be studying it

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/33/which-is-a-bigger-methane-source-cow-belching-or-cow-flatulence/

So what we see as common sense may all be hogwash, or not.  Nobody knows what the major culprit is.  We only know the climate is changing and all the scientists are competing to be the one to prove why.

As to the headlines of not eating beef . .  well back in the day it was butter that was bad so people stopped eating that and now we have margerine . . . but butter was shown to not be bad.  Silly scientists.

You make several good points, Dave. Maybe, indeed, this science is not hogwash, but, as previously said, bull***t?

But something neither of us mentioned (or is this another thing I forgot already?). Just think about what effects the earth's burgeoning population must be having on our spaceship planet? More people mean more cattle to feed us, and more pigs, chickens, goats and fish.

Yeah... You are absolutely correct about the butter/margarine controversy and I remember reading too about coffee being bad for us one day... the next day they tell us it's beneficial. There is a lot of crap out there that has nothing to do with animals...

Maybe the thing to consider is to not jump on any bandwagon one way or another but, at the same time, maybe we can all try to ease back on use of resources a bit? At least that's my goal. Okay... I will make a comment here too... My personal goal is to plant enough trees - whether here or somewhere else - to try to AT LEAST reverse the impact of my life and habit's carbon footprint and as many more people as I can afford to do.  That isn't a political statement or anything, just my personal goal - right or wrong... I like trees...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Just think about what effects the earth's burgeoning population must be having on our spaceship planet?

It had not occured to me but it would not surprise me to see someone conclude the that the biggest cause of global warming is overpopulation.

I suppose they are saying that in a roundabout way so as to be politically correct.  If that is indeed the problem then we need to cull some of that overpopulation.  Unfortunely that does not work.  The Chinese tried it with their "One Child" policy from 1980 to 2016.  They concluded it to be unworkable.  So if they could not do it, and we did not like the Nazi's solution, then our planet is in big trouble.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

My personal goal is to plant enough trees - whether here or somewhere else - to try to AT LEAST reverse the impact of my life and habit's carbon footprint and as many more people as I can afford to do.  That isn't a political statement or anything, just my personal goal - right or wrong... I like trees...

From little acorns grow Mighty Oaks........If everyone on the Planet planted a sapling or bush it would certainly help balance the destruction of our rain forests  etc ...... The World’s Largest Forest Has Been on Fire for Months

• Like 2