No more beef

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

EDIT:  See how we solve all the world's problems on this forum?  The silly students were trying to solve the problem by not eating beef.  We are discussing how to recycle the methane. :7500:

Maybe more methane can be recovered by picking up tourist baby poop from the beach in Borocay?:89:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

I want to turn methane [that would normally be burned off as waste] into methyl alcohol to be added to fuel instead of wasting corn alcohol (or I hear people sometimes eat the corn stuff), but the greenies won't listen to me.

I recently watched a documentary about someone making a system like what Dave described - in India? And the people dumped waste food products into the fermenting structure (I don't remember if animal excrement was used or not) and tapping off the methane gas for their cooking. It was working for several households and working quite well. I don't think they used copper pipes - I think it was all plastic...

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I recently watched a documentary about someone making a system like what Dave described - in India? And the people dumped waste food products into the fermenting structure (I don't remember if animal excrement was used or not) and tapping off the methane gas for their cooking. It was working for several households and working quite well. I don't think they used copper pipes - I think it was all plastic...

Landfill gas powers incinerators in many landfills in the US.

• Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

We keep hearing that the Amazon is the lungs of the Earth and environmentalists telling us how much is getting destroyed yearly but at the same time archeologists are proving using LIDAR (Radar) that the Amazon had massive cities where the jungle now is.  Considering cooking was done by burning wood etc they estimate that there actually wouldn't have been the same jungle covering many centuries ago. Just look at the average burning of leaves in the province to get an idea what the atmosphere must have been like.  

Add to this the trillions of dollars invested in green technology yet temperatures and CO2 is meant to be increasing plus sea levels rising. Even sea levels rising is blamed on the climate, yet volcanic activity is producing new islands and mountains are getting taller.  Surely all this new land will displace the seas and naturally make sea levels higher in some areas. 

For me the jury is still out as to how much we influence the climate.  I'm guessing a very small percentage. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

We keep hearing that the Amazon is the lungs of the Earth and environmentalists telling us how much is getting destroyed yearly but at the same time archeologists are proving using LIDAR (Radar) that the Amazon had massive cities where the jungle now is.  Considering cooking was done by burning wood etc they estimate that there actually wouldn't have been the same jungle covering many centuries ago. Just look at the average burning of leaves in the province to get an idea what the atmosphere must have been like.  

Add to this the trillions of dollars invested in green technology yet temperatures and CO2 is meant to be increasing plus sea levels rising. Even sea levels rising is blamed on the climate, yet volcanic activity is producing new islands and mountains are getting taller.  Surely all this new land will displace the seas and naturally make sea levels higher in some areas. 

For me the jury is still out as to how much we influence the climate.  I'm guessing a very small percentage. 

A good volcanic eruption can make a degree or two change in average temperature for a year or two after the eruption. Pinatubu had this effect and the famous 19th century Chelsea sunsets in London were cause by an eruption in Indonesia.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

(I don't remember if animal excrement was used or not)

I have read about these too.  In any cases I have read about, they use pig manure as a catalyst to get the process started and then any kind of vegetable waste can be added in..

• Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2019 at 6:16 AM, Snowy79 said:

We keep hearing that the Amazon is the lungs of the Earth and environmentalists telling us how much is getting destroyed yearly but at the same time archeologists are proving using LIDAR (Radar) that the Amazon had massive cities where the jungle now is

How the balance can change.......Amazon burning: Brazil reports record surge in forest fires - YouTube

Edited by Kuya John

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Hopefully the cloud will lower the temperature a few degrees in the long term. :whistling:

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Hopefully the cloud will lower the temperature a few degrees in the long term. :whistling:

If anything it will make it hotter in the long term, but you already knew that. :whistling: Did you?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My opinion on climate change is its mother natures way of forever changing things. Thousands of years ago the grand canyon was underwater! There were no smoke belching cars around then ! The earth is always changing because of earthquakes and volcanoes, but the snowflakes at universities do not like history !

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1