Water

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

In another part of the forum I have a thread titled "water towers" and has had quite a few replies from forum members on the different methods of the tanks and pumps set up, so many constructive replies, without any BS included, so my thanks to all for the ideas and just goes to show what a bunch of smart people there are on this forum, thanks again.

One of my threads included the statement from me that there was something happening outside the office of the water provider as in a form of a protest, now I am not that savvy on all this computer stuff to download the video to this site, but the guts of the video is:-

There was a lady outside the office with a microphone and loudspeaker berating, calling them to task on the fact that there is no water in their Barangay, (the Barangay in question is about 5km as the crow flies down the road from me) and that they haven't had any water for 3 to 4 months, with only air coming out of the faucets there, yet they are still getting a big bill from this provider even though no water.

I wonder if air could make the spindle turn in the meter?

So my gf saw this video and commented that a lot of her friends are in the same position, that is no water at all yet still getting a bill, so I asked her has anyone thought of getting a petition or joining this other lady in saying or doing something to voice their displeasure at this situation, "We don't do things like that here".

My suggestion to go and see someone in local government, or someone about the situation came the response "Yes but Metro said they are working on improving the situation"

From me "Don't you get it, they just fobbed you off with that reply, they have been saying that for six months now".

I just don't know anymore, not that I ever did.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

My suggestion to go and see someone in local government, or someone about the situation came the response "Yes but Metro said they are working on improving the situation"

From me "Don't you get it, they just fobbed you off with that reply, they have been saying that for six months now".

I just don't know anymore, not that I ever did.

I would go and see the mayor and if that does not work then I would call 8888 and report it to the DU30 hotline. This is what I have heard a lot of people do when they get no answers from local government utilities. Another alternative is the utilities commission or DTI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would go and see the mayor and if that does not work then I would call 8888 and report it to the DU30 hotline. This is what I have heard a lot of people do when they get no answers from local government utilities. Another alternative is the utilities commission or DTI.

Thanks for that.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, most meters have vanes (with some holes) in them that are turned by flow and they are virtually frictionless and would turn if enough air at velocity passed through them. If you opened the tap and could hear the air coming out, that would be enough air. Generally speaking, it's always a good thing to have a valve immediately before a meter. I'm surprised nobody has gotten angry and busted the pipe where they aren't getting water. A break in the dry area could well depressurize everyone because you wouldn't be getting air if water wasn't being fed into the system somewhere. The break would be hard to find without water also because they probably don't have valves every 100 meters to help generalize the location of a break.

Edited by robert k

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Our water company have a minimum charge every bill, so even though you are not getting any water your bill would at least reflect the minimum charge. This was the same with our previous water company also.

Ken

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I had a similar thing with the air.  I'd just got hammered with a huge bill of 1,800 peso for water.  I figured I had a leak so thought no more of it until I went to use my washing machine and it just beeped which tells me there's no water. I walked down to the supply tank and could hear hissing yet the tank was empty and the meter was flying around. 

I got the municipality out and they calculated I'd used over 120 cubic metres of water (air).  Obviously I told him where to go if he thinks I'm paying for air.  

All in I was without water for about 4 weeks.  Some have been without for over 5 months. Now I check the tank daily. 

• Sad 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Snowy79, where are you situated.

Just on a side note, today we had here no water and then a brown out combined (a brown out is another name for a blackout but evidently calling it as it is would be losing face).

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Just on a side note, today we had here no water and then a brown out combined (a brown out is another name for a blackout but evidently calling it as it is would be losing face).

I always thought they were all blackouts until an engineer explained that a blackout is a sudden, unexpected loss of power, a brownout is a scheduled switching off of power in a particular area either due to planned maintenance or to deal with anticipated excess demand. Here in CDO planned brownouts are advised on the power companys website, apparently.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

I'm in Puerto Galera.  Meant to be tourist heaven with some of the best diving in the World and nice beaches with a few girlie bars.  

Once settled here it's the brown out capital of the Philippines, poor water supply, expensive and poor wifi, expensive food and rip off tricycles. Added to this the women have wizened up to ripping off inexperienced foreigners. Apart from that it's great here lol

• Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Water is fine at my CamSur digs, there might be something to their claim of good governance after all.

• Love it 1