Superstitious or just afraid of negative thoughts?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, North American said:

Is this some type of Filipino thing?

could very well be by the number of folks here who fall for Ponzi schemes lol 

welcome to the forum:cheersty:

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, North American said:

Is this some type of Filipino thing?

Welcome: I take it your newly acquainted with the Filipino ways, Haha, Just a quick word of warning, regardless to some foreigners beliefs, the PI women are exactly like the ones we're used of back home. They never lose an argument, they are always right, they know what's best and they know a bargain even if their being hoodwinked. But in all honesty, they make beautiful partners, just a few strange habits for us to get used of, you aren't going to change her, just learn to understand generations of myths and get used of everything is generated around carmour. :thumbsup: This bloke has learnt, :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Welcome: I take it your newly acquainted with the Filipino ways, Haha, Just a quick word of warning, regardless to some foreigners beliefs, the PI women are exactly like the ones we're used of back home. They never lose an argument, they are always right, they know what's best and they know a bargain even if their being hoodwinked. But in all honesty, they make beautiful partners, just a few strange habits for us to get used of, you aren't going to change her, just learn to understand generations of myths and get used of everything is generated around carmour. :thumbsup: This bloke has learnt, :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

2 hours ago, North American said:

My wife is from the Philippines and whenever something seems to be highly unlikely to happen, I'll just say so. For example, if somethings sounds too good to be true, I'll just say that it's probably not true. But she claims that my doubts about things will create negative energy, which will cause everthing to fail. She always wants me to say that everything is possible and that everything will succeed. Is this some type of Filipino thing?

Welcome to the forum!

Clermont is somewhat correct. But, depending on your wife, you may observe different responses and beliefs. L (my partner) is super religious and a bit superstitious... yet she does not press the religious part onto me...just the superstitious part sometimes.

I suggest that you roll with it most of the time if you want to maintain peace and calm in your household. But don't be afraid to give some argument at times using sound data you might find online. L is open to debate, but be prepared to lose gracefully when necessary...

You will need to gauge your wife and her reactions carefully so you don't end up walking in a minefield!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Clermont is somewhat correct

Of course I'm correct, :hystery:, have you ever heard of the card game called patience, well one time I couldn't get my point across with a PI niece and halfway through our one sided discussion, I picked up a deck of cards and started playing that game. quite rudely she asked what I was doing, I replied, learning how to play patience, I've never heard of it she retorted. O sarcasm is sweet as I walked off muttering, I know and her father had a grin from ear to ear.

The moral is patients and let them know you are trying to understand their culture but she has to be willing to compromise to meet your cultural beliefs as well. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

don't be afraid to give some argument at times using sound data you might find online.

NAH! Life can be Hard enough without Gobbly Gook from those that Think they know better :wink:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Clermont said:

The moral is patients and let them know you are trying to understand their culture but she has to be willing to compromise to meet your cultural beliefs as well. :thumbsup:

You mean patience, Clermont? Or is this a new Austrialianism I haven't yet learned? (kidding you, Mate!).

I am so lucky because L is very patient with me and my many Americanisms. Her comment that always puts me on guard is when she messages, "What you mean by that?" Then I must carefully explain my thoughts and words and 99% of the time it's all fine again... We won't discuss that 1% here now...okay?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

NAH! Life can be Hard enough without Gobbly Gook from those that Think they know better :wink:

Good point, Jack!!!:hystery:

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

You mean patience

Come in spinner, that word is connected to what you become if you stir them up to much. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Come in spinner, that word is connected to what you become if you stir them up to much. :thumbsup:

Got it! No argument here!:laugh:

• Like 1