Netflix - from Abroad?

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Hi folks, long time since I've visited here.  Hope to start dropping by more often.  I'm an ex-expat.  I lived up in Baguio for 10 years but have returned to the USA, about three years ago.  I have great memories of the PI and miss it often.  My wife, a Cebuana, misses it even more but is adapting to life in the States as best she can. 

So, the wife's family may be getting wifi in their remote province house.  And the youngest daughter,  18 years old, wants to use our US Netflix account to watch movies.  I'm leery because I can imagine Netflix getting a bit tiffed at simultaneous use of their service in the USA and the Philippines.  Has anyone else used their American based Netflix account overseas and did Netflix notice, get angry, threaten to shut you off, or just ignore it? 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying themselves.  Have a San Mig for me!  (Actually, make that a Cevaza Negra, please.)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome back!  :smile:

Yes, she can use your Netflix account but the internet connection must be fairly fast.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are threads which explain using a vpn so that it looks like Your family in Philippines is in USA. Perhaps search vpn.

Which brings up the question, can 2 different locations use the same vpn at the same time.

That point might be moot because of the time difference. It might be likely that each location would have their own preferred time to watch and so not to interfere with each other.

Edited by Rayj
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It does not appear that Netflix is overly concerned with sharing of passwords at the present time, but that could change in the future.   As an earlier poster noted internets speeds in the Philippines are some of the slowest in the world, and this is especially true in the provence areas.  Assuming it does work, you should realize that the young lady will be under pressure to share the password with family and friends.  You might find yourself unable to use your own account because multiple users in the Philippines have maxed out the simultaneous user count (max 4 under the most expensive plan according to their website).

• Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay, so no problem for her to log into my account from the Philippines.  Just wondering if Netflix is going to get tiffed when we are both logged in at the same time, me: Washington State USA,  her: Cebu Philippines.  But thank you for the input, Old55!  I will probably let her try.  

Good point Rayj, we are roughly 12 hours off of each other give or take a couple of time zones. 

MikeJ, Oh ... I do so remember the years I got by with 512k down because going to a full 1 mb down was triple or more the cost.  I wonder if there is a way to see how many are logged on my account.  If it gets out, I can always change passwords!  

The youngest says they are going to get 12mb down for 2k pesos a month.  I'm thinking, yeah ... sure, for 5 seconds once a month. 

Edited by Tatoosh

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Read your Netflix agreement. How many guest users are you allowed? The account we are able to use allows 5 users. Four in Washington State one in Philippines.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tatoosh said:

Just wondering if Netflix is going to get tiffed when we are both logged in at the same time, me: Washington State USA,  her: Cebu Philippines.

Yes, no problem.  Just be aware that she will have not have access to the USA catalog of movies, just the ones available in the Philippines catalog without using a VPN.

Edited by Hobbit112
  • Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted
Just now, Hobbit112 said:

Yes, no problem.  Just be aware that she will have not have access to the USA catalog of movies, just the ones available in the Philippines catalog.

Unless she comes in with a VPN, but I don't think I'm going to pony up for that. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

No, she only needs a  password you provide. Hobbit is correct she receives local content but it's all above board nothing special needed.

TimL
Posted
Posted

I’ve noticed that lately Netflix has been blocking some VPN’s. There is still plenty of stuff to watch even w/o the VPN so, someone that’s never had Netflix, should be quite happy for a while. 

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic