Netflix - from Abroad?

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, TimL said:

I’ve noticed that lately Netflix has been blocking some VPN’s. There is still plenty of stuff to watch even w/o the VPN so, someone that’s never had Netflix, should be quite happy for a while. 

Yeah, they wouldn't let me watch some show the other day when I had my VPN running on my so-called smart tv.  I had to shut off PIA in order to access the movie.  Kind of had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder if you could slingbox it to her?

https://www.slingbox.com/en/Products/Slingbox500/HowItWorks.aspx

• Like 2

TimL
Posted
Posted

I was thinking about a sling box also. Not sure how that would function here though. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I just subscribed to Netflix 2 weeks ago - even just getting access to the Philippines library provides me with way more content than I could ever watch so i haven't considered using a VPN but I suppose if you have/had the US library the one here may appear limited.  For me, you can't miss what you've never had.  

I'm happy with the service, I have about 10-12 mbps internet and a movie loads in about 2 seconds so fast enough for me.  Also, i was concerned that there would be buffering as I'm using WiFi rather than LAN cable connection but zero problem so far.  

I'd be very wary about sharing passwords though, not that it's against Netflix rules, but family members may not understand the issue with sharing passwords with friends and before you know it, your locked out as there are too many users.  Yes, you can change the password but I would worry that one of the "shared" users also change the password and lock you out!  

• Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

hk blues, that is a real concern for me as well.  They all promise to be good, but this one tends to ferret out trouble.  If there was a way I could monitor my Netscape account and see the number and times of log ins, I'd probably do it.  But just crossing my fingers and hoping someone doesn't block me out of my own account due to loose lips seems like poor odds at best. 

I know someone said they could have 5 connections on their account so I dug around for the terms of mine and it allows all of two.   And we will have two televisions here shortly.  (I have a hard time with some of the wife's favorite teledramas and her penchant for Vice Ganda is a bit more than I can sit through regularly.)  Though to be honest, I end up watching Amazon Prime a fair amount more than Netflix. 

Thanks for the good conversations and thoughts on this one folks.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

If its just so someone can watch Filipino shows then try Iflix.  Buy her a supscription for 129 pesos a month.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I still recommend the little Android box I bought and I use My Family Cinema on it to get all kinds of stuff, including a lot of Netflix content.  After the free trial, I now pay about $3.50 a month for My Family Cinema.  P1000 for a box and a year of MFC would make a nice gift!

I'm currently binge watching Longmire on MFC.  Good western style murder mystery show starring Aussie Robert Morgan and Lou Diamond Philips, who directs it a lot too.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tatoosh said:

I know someone said they could have 5 connections on their account so I dug around for the terms of mine and it allows all of two.   And we will have two televisions here shortly. 

In a sense it's good you can only have 2 devices - it kinda limits the opportunity for others to "tap in" and you can also use it as an excuse.  If it's really a big problem you could always leave your TV logged into Netflix to stop anyone else doing so - I'm a novice but I think you can exit Netflix but not log out so that would tie up 1 of 2 connections  I think?  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tatoosh said:

Has anyone else used their American based Netflix account overseas and did Netflix notice, get angry, threaten to shut you off, or just ignore it? 

I have lived in the PIs for over 6 years.  I am using the same account I had in the US.  I use it from here, and my kids use it at their houses, in Texas.  Never been a problem.  Well... we can only have 2 simultaneous connections on our account (more are for sale), and once I tried to watch a show and it would not let me.  Both kids were watching, from the US. Only happened once in 6 years ha ha

But, yeah we have never had a problem with them because of our locations. 

(I pay for Netflix, my daughter pays for Hulu, and my ex pays for Amazon Prime - we all share)

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have lived in the PIs for over 6 years.  I am using the same account I had in the US.  I use it from here, and my kids use it at their houses, in Texas.  Never been a problem.  Well... we can only have 2 simultaneous connections on our account (more are for sale), and once I tried to watch a show and it would not let me.  Both kids were watching, from the US. Only happened once in 6 years ha ha

But, yeah we have never had a problem with them because of our locations.

Sounds like my situation almost exactly, except sadly, I'm no longer living in the Philippines.  Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic