question for those with money still in US banks..tax question

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

California is hard ass about state taxes.

They sure are, that is why when I filled out my retirement papers and they ask for my home of record I listed my Phil addy. Instant 15% pay raise :nudie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I also use a Seattle area phone number with Skype to keep things going...

How does this work?  I have a Google voice number I use.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I opened up a Skype account online. Then I selected that I wanted a USA phone number and there were several options regarding area codes, so I selected a Seattle area code. I pay an annual fee just under $53/year to keep the number and have unlimited time on it to any number in USA. It has proved priceless when waiting on "ignore" listening to lobotomy music to speak with someone who "really cares about our customers...please wait for the next available representative..."

I now have a Seattle phone number that is linked directly to my cell phone and laptop. It works fine except for text messages - those do not go through and even Skype says that text messages don't work through that number. There is a bit of a delay so I need to speak quickly when calling or sometimes get hung up upon...

The only bad thing is that I sometimes get calls at 3 am (or other odd hours) local time here from companies I have accounts with back in USA... It's maybe 11 am their time... But, so far, no telemarketer calls at all...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dj3642
Posted
Posted

hi all thanks for all the input.. sorry its taken me so long to reply. been very busy here.. ok so here is the deal with me. before i left the US i filed with the IRS my philippine address as my new address.. never got a confirmation they did anything with it. but i sent it off. i guess i will not file state taxes.. i had been living in Georgia but am flying to chicago to open an account with Chase.. which. i have verified. i am do international money transfers online with online banking from the US to the philippines.. i am suing a relatives address in Chicago once i open the account. i am going to put the money in a non interest bearing account so.. i guess i should be ok. we will see.. thanks so much again for all the help.. you guys are great :)

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
On 8/16/2019 at 6:36 AM, OnMyWay said:

Google Voice and Skype are both VOIP (Voice Over IP) services which means that they use the internet as the infrastructure to complete calls, as do most other telephone services nowadays

Two big differences between GV and Skype:

GV is free for making calls to U.S. numbers, both cellular and landline, or what passes for "landline" nowadays, e.g. a "landline" from one's cable company, which is really just a VOIP number with a device that looks like a conventional phone

If one wants to make calls using GV to a number outside the U.S., one must buy credit which is essentially the GV (VOIP) equivalent of load

With GV one can RECEIVE SMS (text messages) just as one would do with a cell phone, sent by anyone at any time - Skype does not have that capability.

With Skype, one can only RECEIVE a reply to an SMS that one has sent, which means Skype won't work for things like two-factor authentication (TFA) bank verification codes or a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" text from one's kid, for example.

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, OnMyWay said:

As Scott said, you only have to file a state tax return if you actually have income in that state.

The best option is to get a mailing address in a no state income tax state.  That will avoid misunderstandings.  Do it while still in the U.S. because the mailbox companies require a U.S. Post Office form to be completed either at a post office (easiest) or notarized (hardest).  It has to be notarized by a U.S. notary so once you move over here, it will be a hassle.

I use my sister's California address for bank / financial mailing address, and that is not optimal.  California is the worst for chasing people on taxes.  I just got a letter from them, looking for me to file a return for 2016.  On the letter, they state the reason they are asking is because of two documents;  a. from my mortgage company for my rental house in Florida.  That is not even income. b. from my life insurance company that has a dividend of about $175 a year.

So now I have to complete their little PIA form and return it, with the comment:

"I have not lived in California since 2002 and I have no income in California .  The address ************************************ is my sister’s address and I use it as a mailing address for a few things.  I have lived in the Philippines since October 2012 and I was never even in the U.S. during 2016."

"P.S., You are all idiots.  You did this to me for 2014.  Why again?"

Not sure if I will add that last part!

It's not quite correct that one must file a state tax return if one has income in a state.

For example, if one has a bank account in California and that account earns interest, the interest will be reported by the bank to the California Franchise Tax Board, which brings it to the FTB's attention.

However, if one is not a resident of California and does not spend any significant time in California or have any substantial business presence in California, the interest will not be taxable in California, but it will require demonstrating to the FTB's satisfaction that one is not a resident of California.

The reason that you got a letter from the FTB for your rental house in Florida and for the life insurance dividend is because you used a California mailing address with those companies which, as far as the FTB is concerned, is prima facie evidence of residency

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Having a mailing address or account in a state that taxes income can be a bit of a hassle.

I had a mailing address in Virginia (an income tax state) and had to complete an affidavit and send them driver's license and other ID copies telling them I never lived there. Eventually they accepted that so I was not taxed there.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am from Texas and never had state income tax.  I use Traveling Mailbox, for the Dallas address, and MagicJack for my "local" Texas phone number.  No state tax worries, and my  driver's licence and voters registration use the forwarding address, just like my bank and credit cards.  For the IRS I plan on using my PI address, once I have to start filing again (been here 6 years, finally retired this year, so taxes will be a thing again). 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

With Skype, one can only RECEIVE a reply to an SMS that one has sent, which means Skype won't work for things like two-factor authentication (TFA) bank verification codes or a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" text from one's kid, for example.

Thanks for posting this information about Skype.  I have a Google Voice number that I use for TFA, but I received this message from Google Voice.

======

Hello,

We noticed that you haven’t used your Google Voice number in a while. Because phone numbers are a limited resource, it is our policy to reclaim unused numbers so they can be made available to new users.

If you’d like to keep your Google Voice number (754) 777-XXXX, you will need to make calls or send text messages by September 12, 2019 by logging in to your account or using one of our mobile apps.

Please remember that your current number will be reclaimed in 30 days unless you start using it. If the number is reclaimed, your existing messages will remain available in your account, but you will no longer be able to receive calls or text messages.

The Google Voice Team

=====

So, I need to use it to call out or text out.  Which I did a few times.  Hope it works. 

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks for posting this information about Skype.  I have a Google Voice number that I use for TFA, but I received this message from Google Voice.

======

Hello,

We noticed that you haven’t used your Google Voice number in a while. Because phone numbers are a limited resource, it is our policy to reclaim unused numbers so they can be made available to new users.

If you’d like to keep your Google Voice number (754) 777-XXXX, you will need to make calls or send text messages by September 12, 2019 by logging in to your account or using one of our mobile apps.

Please remember that your current number will be reclaimed in 30 days unless you start using it. If the number is reclaimed, your existing messages will remain available in your account, but you will no longer be able to receive calls or text messages.

The Google Voice Team

=====

So, I need to use it to call out or text out.  Which I did a few times.  Hope it works. 

I expect it will be fine

The 754.777.xxxx number is your GV number, correct?

The reason I ask is that I have a second inexpensive folding phone that I keep as an emergency phone in the house and as a testing phone that I added to GV - while I can't use the GV app on that phone since it's a "dumb" phone, it's a backup phone on which I receive GV calls and SMS

About once a year, I get a message from Google that I need to verify that I still own that phone number by having GV send a verification code to that phone and then entering the code in GV on the desktop

Something for folks to plan for if they're thinking about activating GV and then ditching the activation phone or taking the activation phone outside the U.S. to use with a local SIM card

Edited by Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Added "Google" to line 4 to clarify
  • Like 1