Really?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Finally..someone who admits to doing the same thing that I do. The gift price in Cavite however is 1k minimum now. You know..inflation!:thumbsup::wave:

We only had to use it once about three years ago.  I guess the price of gifts has gone up just like everything else. 

• Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

C,mon I'm not karipot. It's not a claim. It's a sad but happy fact. Sad for the Phills but happy for me.:wink:

Don't know what the going rate is in Dumaguete, maybe 100. Cheaper here don't you know old chap. :2245_safe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Try bribing a police officer in Manila and see how far that gets you. The new mayor is cracking down on corrupt traffic enforcers and the police there.

https://pinoytrend.net/2019/08/06/chinese-national-who-caught-for-driving-without-license-tries-to-bribe-police-officers-we-dont-need-your-money/

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

Try bribing a police officer in Manila and see how far that gets you. The new mayor is cracking down on corrupt traffic enforcers and the police there.

https://pinoytrend.net/2019/08/06/chinese-national-who-caught-for-driving-without-license-tries-to-bribe-police-officers-we-dont-need-your-money/

I hope that is actually true.  The main reason I don't go to Manila is because of the traffic cops.  I get pulled over every trip and only once did I actually violate the law.  I have not been there in around 2 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

I keep a 500 peso note

I make them go through the effort of writing the ticket and enjoy the obvious embarrassment as they stand there shifting from foot to foot waiting for me to give them cash. Twice they just gave me a warning, maybe they can not write. :hystery:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope that is actually true.  The main reason I don't go to Manila is because of the traffic cops.  I get pulled over every trip and only once did I actually violate the law.  I have not been there in around 2 years.

It's true the new mayor is not joking when it comes to corruption.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/235992-isko-moreno-presents-traffic-enforcer-viral-extortion-case

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

My guess is that the new interpretation will be you offer and it is a gift.  They ask and that would be, or could be, considered as a bribe.  But who really knows?   In any case the president has created a very slippery slope. 

I have no idea why Duterte made such a comment - a lot of people are trying to backtrack and dismantle his comments as he sure has opened a can of worms again! 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

It's true the new mayor is not joking when it comes to corruption.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/235992-isko-moreno-presents-traffic-enforcer-viral-extortion-case

That's great!  Go Isko!  I like that guy!  I hope he can stay alive!

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ram1957 said:

"It seems that the Chinese national cannot speak English and just showed her money to the police officer who feels insulted by the former’s action."

There's the problem. You have to make it seem like a gift between friends. You have to talk a bit about the weather, so to speak.

A friend of ours trying to open a business was exasperated at the end of a day of running from office to office to office due to misinformation and rules that didn't exist in his research. He finally went to one of the last officials he had to meet who hinted that her rubber stamp would come down faster with the offer of a little colored paper. He impatiently  asked, "How much do you want?" She immediately got angry and told him he was "too forward". She was unavailable to him for three days after that.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I will never drive in Manila. I hate driving here in Davao so sometimes take taxis just so I can relax a bit (while hanging on for my life sometimes!). I am pleased to see increased enforcement of traffic laws everywhere...

• Like 1