Really?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well apparently, it's not only cash that they will accept.  Back in the mid 1990's, I was illegally parked while patiently waiting for Judy to complete her shopping at Divisoria (Manila).  About 4 hours driving around, looking for a parking spot.  

I just pulled into a nice shady spot and a few minutes later, I get a tap to roll down my window.  The PNP was writing something down and mentioned that my rear plate was already being removed by a his young partner, a 12 year kid.  I only had a few pesos with me, so I presented him with a gift that he apparently appreciated more.

An old issue of one of my Playboy magazine was discreetly handed to him, to be followed by barking orders to reinstall my rear plate immediately.   Yeah, it's mo pun in da Philippines.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jake said:

An old issue of one of my Playboy magazine was discreetly handed to him, to be followed by barking orders to reinstall my rear plate immediately.   Yeah, it's mo pun in da Philippines.  

Glad you had a happy ending... I imagine the PNP and kid might have too....:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope that is actually true.  The main reason I don't go to Manila is because of the traffic cops.  I get pulled over every trip and only once did I actually violate the law.  I have not been there in around 2 years.

When I was leaving Manila years ago when I still had my Wrangler, a traffic guy stopped me for "swerving" which I did not do. My GF was with me. I had just been to the BI on Intramuros to pay some overstaying fees and wasn't sure of the cost so I took plenty of extra pesos. I had 28k in the jeep. He wanted 1k to forget about it but I talked him down to P500. And no it wasn't "attached" to my fake drivers license as some of you like to make fun of. I handed it to him very respectfully like the gentleman that I am. :smile::Policeman: 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jake said:

Well apparently, it's not only cash that they will accept.  Back in the mid 1990's, I was illegally parked while patiently waiting for Judy to complete her shopping at Divisoria (Manila).  About 4 hours driving around, looking for a parking spot.  

I just pulled into a nice shady spot and a few minutes later, I get a tap to roll down my window.  The PNP was writing something down and mentioned that my rear plate was already being removed by a his young partner, a 12 year kid.  I only had a few pesos with me, so I presented him with a gift that he apparently appreciated more.

Is there such a thing as illegally parking in the Phills? I learn something new every day!:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

When I was leaving Manila years ago when I still had my Wrangler, a traffic guy stopped me for "swerving" which I did not do. My GF was with me. I had just been to the BI on Intramuros to pay some overstaying fees and wasn't sure of the cost so I took plenty of extra pesos. I had 28k in the jeep. He wanted 1k to forget about it but I talked him down to P500. And no it wasn't "attached" to my fake drivers license as some of you like to make fun of. I handed it to him very respectfully like the gentleman that I am. :smile::Policeman: 

:hystery: :hystery:

They got me in the same area years ago!  I was also going to BI and those roads are very confusing if you don't know them well.  They got me for "swerving" too, in the area of the old theater.  They started out at p2000 and I can't remember if I gave them p500 or p1000.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

:hystery: :hystery:

They got me in the same area years!  I was also going to BI and those roads are very confusing if you don't know them well.  They got me for "swerving" too, in the area of the old theater.  They started out at p2000 and I can't remember if I gave them p500 or p1000.

Sounds like the same area. I was heading for the toll road to Cavite.:smile:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jake said:

You should be ashamed of yourself..that's a form of bribery..or wait..was it only a gift?:Count_Sheep:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Let's not forget a gift is a reward for doing good, a bribe is a punishment for doing something bad - good luck arguing your "gift" to the traffic enforcer was just that!  

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

You should be ashamed of yourself..that's a form of bribery..or wait..was it only a gift?:Count_Sheep:

Some call it lunch money or if near to xmas dinner money

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Some call it lunch money or if near to xmas dinner money

I think it's called meryenda. :smile:

• Like 1