Buying a condo in taygaytay

P. T. Kelly
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, jimeve said:

It is what it is Jack, think where you are. Noise and philippines comes in hand in hand.

I was there Xmas and new years a couple times and the only problem I had was when my loving wife handed 6 children horns on new years day at 7 am when I was not only sick with some kind of sinus afliction and a major hang over 1-2 punch........ 

6 young kids with horns in the living room........ I was in hell. 

But other than that I always thought the noise was OK,  

I am usually up before the sun anyway

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Who is going to manage Air Bnb rentals for you? 

If t was in Cebu it would be me as thats my business. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

Also check that rental is allowed

This is one thing to be careful of.  Many condo buildings do not allow short term rental and I Do have experience with that so make sure before you buy as to what your contract says. 

• Like 4

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Can't see the advantage of doing that here rather than the US, especially if you don't even live here. Higher loan interest, lower rental yields, higher risk with you being a foreigner etc etc.

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

10 years is a long time... I'd say try and maximize your options. Think about it... realistically you will have negative cash flow... you would be better off investing whatever your downpayment is in the US.... and then buying there IF you are still ready to make the move.  So unless you got money to burn... don't do it.  I am positive more people have lost $$ with this idea than made $$. 

One caveat... sometimes owning something is worth the cost... and if thats more important than $$... then follow your heart, and leave your wallet open.

• Like 3

Rayj
Posted
Posted

The 10 year factor changed my mind.  Helpful relatives who are professional knowledgeable and above reproach will make the deal. Opposite will break it. Ditto the exclusivity of which property you acquire. Western standards yes.  Likely to descend into conformity with everything else.........?

robert k
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Rayj said:

The 10 year factor changed my mind.  Helpful relatives who are professional knowledgeable and above reproach will make the deal. Opposite will break it. Ditto the exclusivity of which property you acquire. Western standards yes.  Likely to descend into conformity with everything else.........?

You are making the point that crossed my mind. Some condos are not well kept and you are captive. Not unknown for the head of a HOA to embezzle or just abscond with some years worth of dues just before a renovation is due.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have rented several Air BnB condos and never had a noise problem.  The high rise condos are usually very strict with rule enforcement.  We got in trouble for hanging some clothes to dry on the balcony!  :bash:

How ever the condo management have no control over neighbours. We had 2 years in a Condo in Cebu, neighbours fighting and noisy dogs were an on going issue.

• Sad 1

NextStage
Posted
Posted

I have looked seriously at your exact idea in Tagaytay.  After much thought, my conclusions are.....1.  The return on the rental (with reasonable assumptions about the number of nights rented per month, rates per night, cost of admin fees and condo dues etc.) is that the best return you can expect on the investment (assuming a cash payment for the condo) is 4% or so .   To me that is not worth all the effort and risk--there are easier ways to make 4% return.  

However, historically condos in Tagaytay and RP generally are going up in value by ~7-10% per year.  if one believes this will continue, then the math works beautifully.  The trend up has been going for 10+ years.  Talk of a bubble in RP real estate values has been around for at least 10 years but just hasn't happened yet.  Foreign investment (speculation??) is keeping values going.  That is basically the bet you are making.

BTW,  I think Tagaytay is set to continue to grow and is a really nice place.  Much less crowded so far than Baguio and nice and cool.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, NextStage said:

However, historically condos in Tagaytay and RP generally are going up in value by ~7-10% per year. 

Is this for new -build or on the 2nd hand market?