Parking and blocking main roads.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Here in sunny Puerto Galera the municipality has just been enforcing another well thought out directive from the powers that be to ensure the public highways remain obstruction free.  I think it is Nation wide with serious punishments for the local municipalities if it isn't implemented.

In short all roads must be kept completely clear for the passage of traffic.  The slight problem we are seeing is every road and side street has been classed as the National Highway.  The tricycles, motorcycles and the odd car that would park while you nip into a shop etc are now banned from stopping and enforcers are everywhere.  Even 10km out of town where I used to park on the side of the road when visiting a resort has been clamped down on.  There's a patch of waste ground about 10ft x 6ft which is now meant to hold jeepneys and motorcycles.  In Puerto Galera itself we have one parking space behind a local supermarket.

This must be seriously affecting all businesses but as those in charge have been told they will be punished if the rules aren't applied then they are strictly enforcing it.

Meanwhile smoking in bars, burning trash and prostitution which is also ilegal is ignored as the powers that be don't get punished.  You couldn't make it up.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good idea carried to an extreme.

I was picking up a bed frame one time and I was given a ticket. I wasn't blocking the road but I was within the right of way. I asked the traffic enforcer where I should park to pick up my bed frame. The owner of the shop came out an berated the traffic enforcer and offered to pay the ticket for me, which I refused, because I didn't want to find out 6 months later that they didn't pay the ticket. Rules are rules but people still have to live and do business.

Whatever, it's their country. 

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Here in sunny Puerto Galera the municipality has just been enforcing another well thought out directive from the powers that be to ensure the public highways remain obstruction free.  I think it is Nation wide with serious punishments for the local municipalities if it isn't implemented.

In short all roads must be kept completely clear for the passage of traffic.  The slight problem we are seeing is every road and side street has been classed as the National Highway.  The tricycles, motorcycles and the odd car that would park while you nip into a shop etc are now banned from stopping and enforcers are everywhere.  Even 10km out of town where I used to park on the side of the road when visiting a resort has been clamped down on.  There's a patch of waste ground about 10ft x 6ft which is now meant to hold jeepneys and motorcycles.  In Puerto Galera itself we have one parking space behind a local supermarket.

This must be seriously affecting all businesses but as those in charge have been told they will be punished if the rules aren't applied then they are strictly enforcing it.

Meanwhile smoking in bars, burning trash and prostitution which is also ilegal is ignored as the powers that be don't get punished.  You couldn't make it up.

The same is going on here in Sta Rosa.  Like you said most likely all over the country.  Last week I watched as city workers removed hundreds of street vendors with the assistance of PNP and the military as protection.  They had large dump trucks filled with the wares of the vendors as well as the frames and tarps used to make their shops on the streets and shops.  I chatted with a supervisor and he explained it was a nation order to open the streets and sidewalks.  So now the vendors are off the sidewalks and the tricycles line up on the sidewalks of both sides of the streets.  Pedestrians still have to walk in the streets blocking the traffic because the tricycles block the sidewalks.  Meanwhile there is  very few places to park a vehicle to make a quick stop in the market.  :89:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L tells me that she sees tricycles towed away often because they are left blocking streets near her school. She continues by telling me that as soon as one is removed, there will be at least two more edging to get into that same place.

The vendors keep popping up everywhere - new ones or relocated ones - every day - on sidewalks, streets, lots... it's crazy.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The vendors keep popping up everywhere - new ones or relocated ones - every day - on sidewalks, streets, lots... it's crazy.

Tom It is Life :whatever:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Tom It is Life :whatever:

Sadly...:sad:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Sadly...:sad:

Then why are you here mate? You know something, People from all over the World Pay, to come and see Asian Street life. Yet some want to Rid the Streets of centuries Old Customs and they are normally Well off people that have never been Poor and or in need of a modest living and perhaps survival

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Then why are you here mate? You know something, People from all over the World Pay, to come and see Asian Street life. Yet some want to Rid the Streets of centuries Old Customs and they are normally Well off people that have never been Poor and or in need of a modest living and perhaps survival

I get your point, Jack. Thanks.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

You are so right Jack.  I have some friends coming from the states in October and one of the places they really want to see is the street markets and vendors.  Sadly the city supervisor explained many of the local people were the ones complaining that they cannot get to these street markets in this area without very long walks because the vendors had the streets so blocked that hardly a tricycle could get through let alone the many jeepneys.  We talked about how both of us felt sad for these vendors loosing their incomes.  The only thing comes to mind is over population,(maybe),  and/or poor planing by the city to establish safe areas for the vendors.  Hopefully in the near future someone will wise up and make changes which could benefit most of the people.

Add:  Oh,  on a side note, After the street vendors had been removed from the sidewalks and streets I was surprised to see many legal business behind them that I never knew were there before.  I wonder how their business is doing now with better visibility from the street.

Edited by intrepid
additional thoughts
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

We talked about how both of us felt sad for these vendors loosing their incomes.

Dumaguete and street eating.jpg Dumaguete City want to stop this very old Tradition of late Evening Street Eating Area so it can get just 4 wheel vehicles somewhere to park so that we ( mainly the Foreigners ) can Park and go off to eat and expensive Places that these vendors just couldn't afford, It has been a Local Haunt for Local families and Westerners alike for many, many Years Now That is Sad

• Like 2
  • Sad 1