SMART Data Service On Phone

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

To be clear, I only use the SMART data when I am away from home.  I have great internet at home.

I understand.

Sometimes my cell phone data works better than the wifi data - both Smart - and even when in the same location in the apartment. I can't figure out why. Then either one may drop out and require a disconnect. And this is close in inside the city with cell towers visible less than a km away. Of course, I can't tell which tower carries which service.

The wifi is LTE, the cell phone is Gen 3....maybe that is a big difference?

I had another issue - maybe a bit off topic? For several months, my wifi connection would not send e-mails using one of my accounts, but fine on another - they use different domains. Yet the cell phone data would always send on either domain. Just last week, the e-mail started working on the wifi again - like it used to 6 months ago. So long as at least one of them works, I don't worry about it.

For about 2 hours this morning, my wifi data would just drop out fairly often. I could not load pages here or on MSN.com - no connection at all. In the past 30 minutes it seems okay again.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone else experienced recent problems with SMART data / internet service on their phones?

Only on a weekend or holiday or evening when the young adults are out of school and playing on the Internet.  Always fine when people are working or in school.  It suggests to me there is not enough capacity to go around when others around me are using it.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Going to Cebu tomorrow and I'm hoping it works well there.

Twice now, when I traveled to either Manila or Cebu, the data dropped out completely and required the reboot. Then the same thing happened when I returned to Davao. The first time it happened I got some sort of error message telling me I had to configure the data on my phone to work in the "foreign" systems. I long ago forgot the details. There seemed to be some sort of discrepancy in the service - again, both times using Smart data with the cell phone.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Only on a weekend or holiday or evening when the young adults are out of school and playing on the Internet.  Always fine when people are working or in school.  It suggests to me there is not enough capacity to go around when others around me are using it.

I am sure you are right about the lack of capacity. But what about this morning around 7-9 am? And for me, always starting at about 2 pm everything slows down...

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

On My Way........I'm having identical problems to yours.  Rebooting, etc, makes no difference.  Interesting though........my wife is on a monthly prepaid Smart program and she has no problem at all???  and she's sitting right next to me.  Something is fishy.......just no sure what.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How do I do that?

If you go into settings, it's probably going to be under More... Look for network settings. I can't lay it out exactly because I'm probably not using the same phone, mine is android Oreo with Xiaomi's proprietary skin on it. If you are using say a Samsung, it will have Samsung's skin on it, it will have all the same functions, unless they have turned some of them off but they might not be in exactly the same place in settings. You can set your phone to search for connections and choose the one you want manually. Turning the sim off and back on should disconnect you from the portal and the phone should automatically look for the best signal. In settings you should be able to set the Phone to LTE only, prefer LTE or if you knew you were someplace with no LTE then 3G. Power cycling the Phone won't necessarily make it look for a portal as mine have always gone back to exactly the same portal they were connected to before, even one I manually changed it to that wasn't working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I had a similar problem and I am no  Techky using a Samsung A7 ( Android) that I don't get on with in the main, I was gobbling Battery power and data, When my daughter came home from Uni she showed me how to solve the Problem ( on my phone at least)

Draw a finger from the top of the screen and expose the icons, one of them was a "Mobile Data" icon with an up and down arrow, if lit up it was on, click and the light went out and closed the Data. Have you got this on yours OMW? if so Try it :smile: 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Draw a finger from the top of the screen and expose the icons, one of them was a "Mobile Data" icon with an up and down arrow, if lit up it was on, click and the light went out and closed the Data. 

I think you are describing how to connect to the internet i.e. via a known wi-fi connection or via an open connection.  Mostly, at home we will use connect via wi-fi but when outside we must connect via mobile date as we will be too far from our modem.  So, yes, we need to ensure the correct connection mode is selected.  But, that wouldn't explain slow speed or hanging up - if the wrong mode is selected you'll get nothing! 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think you are describing how to connect to the internet i.e. via a known wi-fi connection or via an open connection.

No HK it has a seperate icon for wi-fi, Internet and Hotspots, I keep them all off until I need them, If I should turn on FB for instance it overrides all and I then have to turn them Off again, as I said I am no Techky but this has stopped all my Problems 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

No HK it has a seperate icon for wi-fi, Internet and Hotspots, I keep them all off until I need them, If I should turn on FB for instance it overrides all and I then have to turn them Off again, as I said I am no Techky but this has stopped all my Problems 

I understand, Jack.

When  i was setting up my wife's new phone a couple of months back, there were all sorts of options on selecting internet connection method i.e. which is the default, what should be done when the default is not available etc etc - obviously, depending on what options were chosen, different things will happen in different situations.  I chose to have wi-fi as the default and others only if actually selected  rather than automatic - that way she can manage the phone rather than it managing her (although it would be a better man than me if it pulled that one off!)

• Love it 1