Helath Certificfacet for employment visa

Ulrich
Posted
Posted

Hi all, 

I got offered a job in the Philippines and was wondering if I need to present a medical certificate to apply for a work permit?
I was asked if I suffer any and a visa would not be ranted if:
-    Hepatitis A, B, C, etc.
-    Diabetes
-    Migraine
-    Shortness of breath
-    Heart related problems
-    Skin lesions or any other related skin problems?
-    Hypertension
-    HIV 
-    Cancer
I found it very disturbing. I am a long-time expat in SEA and was never asked before.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's your employer that applies for tbe work permit. Some say they will but never get around to it. The first you will know is when you are being deported. You must have the permit before you start work.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The Philippines doesn't want foreigners working in their country. Don't take it personally.

• Like 2

TimL
Posted
Posted

Seems like part of those requirements are from the company that plans to hire you. Obviously communicable diseases would be a no-go for immigration but, migraines, diabetes, etc. Sounds like the company doing the hiring would like to have a healthy employee. Their house, their rules. Maybe try a health discrimination lawsuit to make them tighten up. Hahaha...

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

A mate of mine was part of a team that outsourced his company's telephone support to one of those multi-company call centres in Cebu City.  His company did most of the visa for him but he did have to go for a very comprehensive medical for it.  Initially there 2 years, met a local girl, decided to stay, it's been 4 years now and he's happy to fill that position indefinitely.  I'm not sure of your situation, and they all vary,  but I'd imagine it's the foreign/business investment status and integrity of your prospective employer that offered you the job that will determine your outcome more than anything else.  It's a nationally recognised brand here in Australia so I'm guessing they had their ducks in a row with experts to facilitate the process.    

And yes, as TimL stated, it could just be a pre-employment medical rather than visa.  

Edited by BrettGC