Car Aircon service

DavidK
Posted
Posted

When mine quit (car was 7 years old) I just had it regassed. Worked fine after that. Most "older" cars  here need it redoing every so often.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, DavidK said:

When mine quit (car was 7 years old) I just had it regassed. Worked fine after that. Most "older" cars  here need it redoing every so often.

Yep, I have an old Pajaro that needs doing every 6 months. Just blowing air out like a fan. 

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just had my BMW Mini done, the first place I went the young lad connected a cylinder like in the video and it showed that it was ok. Took it to a garage with the proper kit who sucked out tbe old gas and put back in the correct weight and it now works a treat. When the system gets down to a certain weight the system won't cut in. Mine only had 186 grams, should have been 460 grams. The gauge on that cylinder only measures pressure, it's not an indication of how much gas is in there.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

somebody reliable

Ak... those are the key words!:biggrin:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for sharing that LUFC.

I think that was a good video for the basic check and refrigerant refill with sealer. In refrigerant terms, the sealer is simply a lubricant that is included in every commercial gas supply - they all contain lubricant for the seals and compressor. And, yes, that can be the problem -  that they have dried out over time - that's normal with older systems.

However, a novice needs to be very careful to not tip that refill can too far either side or it could dump liquid coolant into the system - that's would be very bad. The instructions given in the video must be followed exactly regarding that tipping. And the can should not be shaken either during the re-charge.

A proper recharge hose connection from the can to the service port should include a bit of a bleed of the refrigerant from the can and fill the hose and spray a bit of it out. Otherwise you are introducing a bit of air into the system that was in the recharge hose - unless the kit has already purged it and filled it with a bit of the refrigerant. Any air in the system degrades it and contains moisture - which is also bad for the system.

The last thing should be to check the sight glass for bubbles. Maybe the technology has changed in the last 20 years? But formerly, there was a sight glass in line with one of the hoses where you can observe if there are any bubbles... Bubbles are also bad. I think it was located on the dryer/filter, but that's so long ago...

I hope this helps explain a bit further about the video...

Please keep in mind that in Europe you have to be qualified to re gass or work on a/c. Failure to do so is a custodial sentence. 

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
On 8/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for sharing that LUFC.

I think that was a good video for the basic check and refrigerant refill with sealer. In refrigerant terms, the sealer is simply a lubricant that is included in every commercial gas supply - they all contain lubricant for the seals and compressor. And, yes, that can be the problem -  that they have dried out over time - that's normal with older systems.

However, a novice needs to be very careful to not tip that refill can too far either side or it could dump liquid coolant into the system - that's would be very bad. The instructions given in the video must be followed exactly regarding that tipping. And the can should not be shaken either during the re-charge.

A proper recharge hose connection from the can to the service port should include a bit of a bleed of the refrigerant from the can and fill the hose and spray a bit of it out. Otherwise you are introducing a bit of air into the system that was in the recharge hose - unless the kit has already purged it and filled it with a bit of the refrigerant. Any air in the system degrades it and contains moisture - which is also bad for the system.

The last thing should be to check the sight glass for bubbles. Maybe the technology has changed in the last 20 years? But formerly, there was a sight glass in line with one of the hoses where you can observe if there are any bubbles... Bubbles are also bad. I think it was located on the dryer/filter, but that's so long ago...

I hope this helps explain a bit further about the video...

Your absolutely correct and tbh, I didn't actually watch it, just posted for the OP.

In Europe you have to hold a qualification to work on a/c, such as from the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) or City & Guilds. 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, LUFCinMakati said:

In Europe you have to hold a qualification to work on a/c, such as from the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) or City & Guilds. 

Obviously not an issue here. As I read somewhere before, a guy can go to sleep here with no real vocation or skills and, when he wakes up, he is a mechanic! (specializing in A/C!) That's the kind I avoid. Although some of them are resourceful and can make things work the Filipino way and that works for many people.

I have had a number of things worked on by Filipinos here and abroad and many of them have some really incredible mechanical skills. I needed a new prop shaft years ago for my yacht so took some good stainless round bar to a machinist recommended to me. The shop was awesome! They had top quality equipment and took out a few bends from the stock and made it close to perfect. It fit well and was still running great seven years later - I never had one last that long before. To look at the shop from outside, I would have walked away otherwise - it was dirty, greasy and a bit messy inside (but then I didn't go there to dine!) but their work was great and reasonably priced.

But I know - from my neighbour kid across the street who attended one - that there are some decent vocational schools here for auto mechanics, among other skills.

The mechanic shop where I take my car is absolutely top notch - as good or better than many in USA. They do engine rebuilds, car body repairs (did a nice job on mine) and just about everything else. However, I thought they were just a bit dodgy one day when my car needed a battery boost to start. One guy came out carrying a battery, then three guys balanced it on the chassis under the hood and held a big wrench to connect the negatives and a long screwdriver to connect the positives... Whatever works! Since then, I bought myself some booster cables for "next time."

Edited by Tommy T.

• 4 weeks later...
Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Not to sound cynical....

In almost every single repair instance I have encountered here, there are a few common denominators.  Mechanic will have knowledge, but not the right tools.  Mechanic will have most of the right parts but not all.  When I check the work later, I'm always in shock that this is what passes for professional work.  

I have had to show pictures of the proper tool to mechanics, or take them the proper parts myself.  When you want something welded, what you really get is brazing.  When you want wiring fixed, it will just be twisted together without even solder or a crimp connection.  When you get aircon fixed, they won't replace all the seals, or pressure test it properly, or look for other system problems, etc.  

So if you find a good reputable mechanic, treat him well.  I'm at the point of nearly buying my own tools for everything, and pre-sourcing the parts needed for a repair when I do go to a mechanic.  Not sure what else to do.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Not sure what else to do.  

Sounds like its best for you to go home. Nothing is good enough for you here :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Marvin you do sound cynical and unhappy about how things are in Philippines. Do you think over time you’re going to adjust and learn to accept that you can’t change others behavior or will it eat you up? I am asking respectfully and appreciate your honesty in what you’ve shared.

In the past we have had forum members who hated living as an Expatriate in Philippines nothing wrong with that it’s their reality. 

Not criticizing you just curious.