Water Problems

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

That's good that you and your nieghbours don't have any water quality issues. Twelve years is a great track record!

The reason I mentioned that was because of the habits I see around the area - people dump used motor oil and other contaminants (like unused paint, solvents) directly onto the ground. Not to mention whatever might leach from the dumped rubbish piled up in many places.

Depending on the underlying geology, an aquifer can carry that long distances, or percolate almost straight down or take a short time or many years for the water that feeds it to reach the well level. However, I am also totally ignorant of the makeup of soils here. I just try to be cautious about what I am drinking - within reason. As AK says, there don't seem to be any controls on the private water suppliers, but that water is always super clear and tastes good.

The tap water carries particulate - it clogs up the screens on the water taps. I plan on, at least, filtering and maybe even UV irradiation of the tap water at the new home because it is a a bit remote so far from bottled water suppliers...

I suppose the water we receive comes from the volcanos (Mount Talinis) would not drink it only for bathing and washing the pots. We get our drinking water delivered 25p from the water purification station, delicious. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I don't have a quality problem but a Quantity problem, do any of you micro analyzers have any Idea what the cubic usage of a Domestic Hose pipe is per hour say?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

a Domestic Hose pipe

You do know that Canadians are Hosers right?  Just ask a Canuck eh?  Anything to do with ho's or hoses (not sure on plural) we can set ya straight.

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I don't have a quality problem but a Quantity problem, do any of you micro analyzers have any Idea what the cubic usage of a Domestic Hose pipe is per hour say?

We're talking approximations here, Jack, okay? And it depends on pressure.

A 1/2" water pipe with average pressure between 20 and 100 psi will yield a flow of about 14 gallons per minute.

There are 264.172 gallons in 1 cubic meter of water.

So 14 gallons/m x 60 minutes = 840 gallons/hour

Divide 840 gallons by 264.172 = 3.18 cubic meters/hour

To test yours, take a measured vessel - say a 1 gallon bottle? - and time it for how many seconds or minutes it takes to fill it. Or, if it runs slow, time 1 minute then measure how many gallons you get and you will have an idea of your flow...

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You do know that Canadians are Hosers right?  Just ask a Canuck eh?  Anything to do with ho's or hoses (not sure on plural) we can set ya straight.

Is that right, eh?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

= 3.18 cubic meters/hour

:thumbsup:  Odd that cos that is what I figured from the days they water the Road and Garden used an additional  9 cubic this month and from my timings they used the House for about 3 hours this Month spread over the Month so Now I guess I can presume that this is the extra usage, I can't stop this as it is mainly for our Fruit Trees and Bushes + the Road has to be damped each day, Or it would be like a Prairie after a stampede, Thank You for the information Tom :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

There are strict controls about wells. If you want it for drinking you need a licence to extract and must be tested every 6 month, someone at your local town hall can direct you to the department that does the testing. Without this you can only use the water for washing the car and irrigation. So nobody drinks  the water of course.:whistling:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

We had three well done,

Are you saying they did a good job or cooked more than medium :whistling:

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gary D said:

My answer still stands. We have no idea how deep your well will need to be. We had three well done, the first was about 60 feet but the water was full of minerals so we moved from the back of our lot to the front and went down about 80 feet, this one was done twice and was still not usable. So 300k later we gave up and now use an old deep well on the grandfather's land behind us. We think it could be a couple of hundred feet deep but the water is sweet. So to answer your question there is no answer until you try.

If you look at my original question, you would see that i was asking how much it cost. 300k for 3 "dry" wells is pretty informative. Thanks.:smile:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

If you look at my original question, you would see that i was asking how much it cost. 300k for 3 "dry" wells is pretty informative. Thanks.:smile:

The wells weren't dry just the local experts couldn't reach good quality water so we stopped throwing good money after bad. Finding someone that knows what they are doing not think they know is the first hurdle to be overcome.

• Like 1