Would you do it all again?

"P2"
Posted
Posted

Well.... would you? Knowing what you know now, would you still make the move to the Philippines?

In a previous thread I spoke about seriously considering moving to the Philippines.... But how did you do that? Do you guys have family back in your native country? 

Did you bring your family with you? Did you come by yourself? What were your circumstances?

If you left family behind, how are you handling that? I have 3 young adult (20 something) kids and I know that they will not want to come to the Philippines with me . What do you do? It would be hard because I wouldn't want my 

kids to think that I'm abandoning them, yet at the same time I have to think about myself and my future in regards to a happy retirement. 

Have any of you regretted in any way moving? Has it been hard leaving family (not necessarily kids but parents and brothers/sisters) if you left family behind. 

So would you do it all again?

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been here 8 years and the only regret I have is that I was laid off from work and not able to save for 2 more years apart from that no regrets.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, "P2" said:

Well.... would you? Knowing what you know now, would you still make the move to the Philippines?

Yes. Without a doubt.

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Since I'm now living back in the USA again (after 6 years in the Philippines), I have no plans to go ever go back to living in the Philippines. The best parts of my Philippines experience is that I now have a loving Filipina wife and I truly appreciate my homeland more than ever before (after living in a 3rd world country). I might go back for a visit, so that my wife and I can visit family and friends but I'd never want to live there again as an expat.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jack D said:

Since I'm now living back in the USA again (after 6 years in the Philippines), I have no plans to go ever go back to living in the Philippines. The best parts of my Philippines experience is that I now have a loving Filipina wife and I truly appreciate my homeland more than ever before (after living in a 3rd world country). I might go back for a visit, so that my wife and I can visit family and friends but I'd never want to live there again as an expat.

It may be helpful to the OP if you could give the reason(s) why you would never want to live here again as an expat.

• Like 4

Jack D
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Mike J said:

It may be helpful to the OP if you could give the reason(s) why you would never want to live here again as an expat.

Some (and not all of my) Reasons - in no particular order

• The air is too polluted.
  • Dusty roads and streets.
  • Tap water (at least mine) was undrinkable.
  • Unable to use toilet paper in my bathroom since the pipes couldn’t handle it. I never liked using a tabo and I didn’t have a bum gun.
  • Water pressure in the shower was so weak that it was almost non-existent
  • Three hours at the car wash (only to need another car wash on the following day).
  • Tired of smelling burning garbage (basura).
  • Long lines everywhere.
  • Horrible internet and telephone service – I could not call all phones in the Philippines with my individual telecom company (Globe) without paying extra money (or having multiple SIM cards, including Smart).
  • Hospital held me as a prisoner until I paid my bill in full.
  • Too many rats and roaches.
  • Being hit in the arm by every beggar.
  • Inability to have an intelligent conversation in English with most locals, unless they were professionals or other people with college education.
  • No personal space – people crowd right on top of you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1