Would you do it all again?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

These are all good reasons.  Some people have more tolerance to all these problems.  I had more tolerance as a younger man (thinking with the small head and lots of beer in my stomach) but my tolerance decreases as I age and drink less beer :hystery:

I thought some of those reasons were a bit petty tbh.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I thought some of those reasons were a bit petty tbh.

But as others have mentioned, your level of tolerance and how you deal with frustration may determine to a large degree if you will be happy here.

Edited by Mike J
grammer
  • Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

I will have been here seven years this coming October.  The only family I have left back in the USA is my brother 71, and a sister 68.  We keep in touch on a regular basis via email.  When I left the USA I told them I would "probably" not be making any trips back to the USA.  Thus far I have not returned and, at present anyway, have no real desire to return.  Perhaps I would feel different if I had children or grandchildren living there.  Am I happy?  Happiness is, at least for me, a more difficult term to define and answer.  I can tell you that I enjoy my life here and am quite content.  My wife and I have a small ministry and I enjoy working with young people.  I have found an interest, and some even a little talent, in painting and sketching that I now enjoy.  We are fortunate to live on the water and I can enjoy the beautiful view each day of the year.  I do miss the convenience and service levels that I was used to in the US.  People in the US for the most part follow the "rules", they obey traffic laws, fall in at the end of lines, wait their turn, etc.  Business and government are FAR more efficient in the USA.

People have asked me "What is like to actually live there?"  I tell them that the Philippines is not for everyone.  You will either enjoy life here, or wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to live here.  The difference will be in how and whether you can adjust to the Philippines culture and a lower standard of service and infrastructure.

Would I do it again.  Absolutely!  The warmth and friendliness of the Philippine people is amazing and I have no desire to leave my Filipino extended family and friends.

I was getting ready to click "Submit Reply" and realized I need to add to my post.

My Filipina wife came to the USA on a finance visa so she spent 8 years there while we were married.  She misses the USA a lot and speaks often about wanting to move back.   I was a little surprised when she first talked about it because she had missed the Philippines quite a bit while living in the US and enjoyed our trips here.  She has discovered, like many expats, that a vacation here is different than a life here.  So it is not just you, but also your wife, who would be making quite an adjustment should you choose to make a permanent move. 

Mike J,  As I read your post it seems you took the words from my mind.  This is my feelings and experiences here with just slight difference I will add.  My wife lived in the US for 10 years before we retired and moved here.  I have many family members back in the states.  Mom, Dad, Brother, sisters, son, daughter, and four grandchildren.  I miss them all and we are all very close.  We talk, video chat, email, whatever, weekly.  We also travel back every other year for a month long visit.  We have a 14 year old daughter whom was 10 when we moved here.  She plans to return to the states after college for her working life but that could always change.  After next year we plan to visit once a year.  After 3+ years I would not change a thing.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

But as others have mentioned, your level of tolerance and how you deal with frustration may determine to a large degree if you will be happy here.

Some people also have people who insulate them from much of the irritation. Someone mentioned paying someone to stand in line for them. I've done that for bill paying. Makes life more enjoyable for me.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

We are fortunate to live on the water and I can enjoy the beautiful view each day of the year.  

Don’t mind me asking Mike, do you live on a boat or is your house over looking some sort of water.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

6 1/2 years and still loving it. Every day is a holiday, every meal is a feast ha ha (an old Navy saying) :tiphat: 

I remember that saying also. 20 plus years in the USN.:laugh: 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The house overlooks the water. The property boundary is basically the high tide line, so we don't have to worry about ever losing the view.   The photo with blue tint is looking South, you can just see Badian Island on right side of picture.  The photo with the lavender tint is looking to the southwest, and the distant land is the island of Negros.  About 50 meters offshore there is a coral wall where you can view colorful fish, coral, and sea turtles.  There is just something about living on the water that calms the soul, relieves stress, and makes a person thankful.   It also provides a great place to host groups of youth for our ministry "Philippine Blessings of Hope".  We have also been privileged to host numerous visiting clergy and also missionaries from all around the globe.

Sunset over water.jpg

Tungo Point Sunset.jpg

Sounds more like a religious retreat. More power to you though if you can get your followers to bankroll your paradise. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602: