Would you do it all again?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The other night I was watching a couple of them on my upstairs bedroom window - a larger one and a baby one.  Suddenly, a much larger one appeared and took a grip of the little one and threw it off the window!  

I love those guys. They perch themselves on the ceiling of my outside light at night waiting for bugs to come into their capture zone!:smile:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

a much larger one appeared and took a grip of the little one and threw it off the window!  

They are basically anti social unless, it is breeding time methinks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
On 8/23/2019 at 9:16 PM, "P2" said:

Well.... would you? Knowing what you know now, would you still make the move to the Philippines?

In a previous thread I spoke about seriously considering moving to the Philippines.... But how did you do that? Do you guys have family back in your native country? 

Did you bring your family with you? Did you come by yourself? What were your circumstances?

If you left family behind, how are you handling that? I have 3 young adult (20 something) kids and I know that they will not want to come to the Philippines with me . What do you do? It would be hard because I wouldn't want my 

kids to think that I'm abandoning them, yet at the same time I have to think about myself and my future in regards to a happy retirement. 

Have any of you regretted in any way moving? Has it been hard leaving family (not necessarily kids but parents and brothers/sisters) if you left family behind. 

So would you do it all again?

Yes, would do it all again.  Have healthy parents in their '70s and a 20-something daughter, plus a brother and extend family all living in the US.  Being apart from all of them is difficult at times, but for me it came down to 2 reasons to stay in Philippines.  

1) The US was quickly becoming a very different place than I grew up with.  Have been wanting to live abroad for years, and finally did.  After meeting my new wife, the only question was whether to make our life here or back in the US.  

2) A young woman needs to have access to her family.  It was worth it to give up access to my family for her to have quick access to hers.  When finances and visas cooperate, we will get to visit back to the US.  I do miss the holidays, but now we have own holidays.  

Last year most of them came to see us, after wife could not get a travel visa :(.  We will give it another try this year and see what happens.  Our plans here are to develop our own homestead, a place where family that I've left behind will want to come and visit, or even stay awhile.  In that sense, I look on all this as being a kind of new-world pioneer...we all had ancestors who did it, for different reasons.  If I can get my daughter to spend a year out here or something, that would be grand!    

• Like 2
  • Love it 1