The weather

stevewool
Posted
Posted

How long did it take you to get use to the weather over there, here in England we have had a few days of heat just over 30 degrees , it’s sticky and hardly any breeze at all, the best place to be is indoors , many say it’s a different heat when you are on holiday in other countries but maybe living day to day in that sort of heat you do get use to it rather then just a couple of very hot days a few times of the year.

So are you use to the heat?

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, stevewool said:

How long did it take you to get use to the weather over there, here in England we have had a few days of heat just over 30 degrees , it’s sticky and hardly any breeze at all, the best place to be is indoors , many say it’s a different heat when you are on holiday in other countries but maybe living day to day in that sort of heat you do get use to it rather then just a couple of very hot days a few times of the year.

So are you use to the heat?

The heat ain't that bad. I only use the aircon between maybe 10 am. to about 3 pm. At night no matter how hot it is I use high velocity electric fans to stay cool. :smile:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

The heat ain't that bad. I only use the aircon between maybe 10 am. to about 3 pm. At night no matter how hot it is I use high velocity electric fans to stay cool. :smile:

We don't have aircon, two reasons I can't afford to use any and its not good for my wife and my health. Yes to a point I am use to the hot and humid weather.

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

You're going to have to 'suck it and see' Steve. No other way.

This is a full-on tropical country. Those odd very very hot days in England are the norm here...every day. 

You probably won't be able to sit inside your house or apartment (or those of your poor relatives, without air-con) for more than 10 minutes before feeling too hot... and sweaty.  

Air-con, and or plenty of fans, are a must. 

I have only fans, and am perfectly happy with that. I don't want air-con. End of story.  (Too expensive for my budget, and I don't trust the things not to be giving me 'bugs'). 

Build your house to be passively as cool as possible. That's another topic though. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It's difficult to be objective about the weather here - I think most of us have gotten used to it and don't realise what it's like for a newcomer.  That said, I don't feel it's that bad (see what I mean) at all and certainly not as bad as Hong Kong where the humidity was worse although the temperatures were probably lower in general.  Also, we dress for the weather and adapt our lifestyle to it so it's manageable to an extent.

As they say - Mad dogs and Englishmen...(and Scotsmen) 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most days are fine with just a ceiling fan and sometimes an extra fan down low.

I always use A/C at night just because I enjoy the cool respite from the humidity and heat of the day.

Some times of year it does get so hot with no breeze that I will run the air/con starting by maybe 2 pm? But that seems to only last a few weeks.

As HK suggests, it is subjective. Some people never acclimate, plain and simple. Some acclimate over time and some over a longer time. All you can do is try it out and see how it works for you. Good fans can make a big difference.

Most mornings, the temperature reads about 28-29 while I drink my coffee at 7 am. It gradually warms up to 32-33 by about 3 pm. The humidity registers between 65% and 75%. These are from my non-professional instruments, but I think they are close. There is a cooler season (winter?) when the temps may drop 2-4 degrees and the humidity too - for about a month or two... Then it cranks back up.

Maybe try coming here for a while and try it out in the region where you feel you would prefer to live? Up north it is much cooler - parts of Luzon - for some of the year than here in Davao or other areas down south. It will also be cooler in the hills or near ocean water... 

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I've never been able to sleep with a fan blowing on me, I'm a hot sleeper especially after a few beers, it can be low 60's in the house and I will be uncomfortable. I do believe in order to deal with the heat outside you have to go without aircon in the house and let your body climatize but not sure if I will be able to cope, it's one more thing to keep me from getting sleep.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I acclimatised quite quickly, I have lived in the tropics twice before. We have no aircon or fans, sometimes it gets a bit sticky before the rain, afterwards it can be quite cool. I have known it to feel chilly at night then I have to cover up.

I live nearly as far south as is possible to go.

• Like 1