Fans

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

Yes same situation, even the ones I sent here from NZ, I never use them top speed although suspect so eine else does when I not around. The local ones are to fast on low.

I don't like ceiling fans for sleeping. I always imagine that they will come lose in the middle of the night and ruin my dream of having 6 to 8 beautiful Filipinas fanning me with banana leafs. :ohmy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, jimeve said:

Ours wobble when on top speed, hope they made sure they're safe when installed!

You can sometimes take the wobble out of a fan by using using a small clothespin.  You clamp it on a blade and turn the fan on and check for wobble.  It can take quite a while because you first have to find the correct blade and then correctly position the clothespin along the blade.  Sometime it will even be required on two of the blades.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You can sometimes take the wobble out of a fan by using using a small clothespin.

I take it that you mean ceiling fans sold here don't have anti-wobble weights included?:huh:

That sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Tommy T.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You clamp it on a blade and turn the fan on and check for wobble.  It can take quite a while because. . . .

It will take quite a while because the first few you put on there will be launched as projectiles once the fan hits maximum speed :hystery::hystery::hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

t will take quite a while because the first few you put on there will be launched as projectiles once the fan hits maximum speed

Good thought, Dave. There are other possible solutions, maybe? Like use some non-skid around the blade at the pin to keep it from flying? Or perhaps run the fan at medium speed to locate the pin, then remove it and glue something to the blade - like a small fishing weight? Just thinking it through. It's like balancing a wheel on a car...

Or am I thinking this to death?:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Good thought, Dave. There are other possible solutions, maybe? Like use some non-skid around the blade at the pin to keep it from flying? Or perhaps run the fan at medium speed to locate the pin, then remove it and glue something to the blade - like a small fishing weight? Just thinking it through. It's like balancing a wheel on a car...

Or am I thinking this to death?:smile:

Yes, you are thinking it to death. :smile: You put them on the leading edge of the blade.    In the Philippines where it is always warm, there should never be a reason to use the reverse switch on the fan, so the leading edge will always be the leading edge.  It is unlikely the centrifugal force would cause it fly off.  Alternatively, find the correct spot for a weight using the pin.  Then superglue a small coin onto the top of the blade at the same location you found with the pin.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Then superglue a small coin onto the top of the blade at the same location you found with the pin.

Ah... that's brilliant, Mike! Now I finally have a use for the new coins that I hate because they are so close in size and appearance between 1 and 5 pesos...:biggrin: It's good that there will be at least three ceiling fans in the new house...but so many coins...:sad:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Mike J said:

In the Philippines where it is always warm, there should never be a reason to use the reverse switch on the fan, so the leading edge will always be the leading edge

You are thinking like a westerner.   5 will get you 10 that some Filipino will turn on the fan in reverse one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you sure you have the switch in correct position on the motor? 

Yes how ever we did construct high ceilings which could make a difference.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

You can sometimes take the wobble out of a fan by using using a small clothespin.  You clamp it on a blade and turn the fan on and check for wobble.  It can take quite a while because you first have to find the correct blade and then correctly position the clothespin along the blade.  Sometime it will even be required on two of the blades.  

Weird thought, how about you weigh the blades and put the heaviest opposite each other to begin with. Is there a postal scale a LBC or somewhere?