Fans

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

Weird thought, how about you weigh the blades and put the heaviest opposite each other to begin with. Is there a postal scale a LBC or somewhere?

That's a good thought, Robert, but I have found that sometimes the blades, themselves are not exactly true nor is the machining of the parts that hold the blades...but your idea might be worth a try. I did it more or less as Mike described - there were some weights included in the fan I had. I would expect higher quality fans might have them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

You can sometimes take the wobble out of a fan by using using a small clothespin.  You clamp it on a blade and turn the fan on and check for wobble.  It can take quite a while because you first have to find the correct blade and then correctly position the clothespin along the blade.  Sometime it will even be required on two of the blades.  

The fans I bough came with lead weights with self-adhesive pads for this very purpose.  

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I take it that you mean ceiling fans sold here don't have anti-wobble weights included?:huh:

That sounds like a good idea.

As per my message above Tom, the ones I bought here do have the weights included.  

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Good thought, Dave. There are other possible solutions, maybe? Like use some non-skid around the blade at the pin to keep it from flying? Or perhaps run the fan at medium speed to locate the pin, then remove it and glue something to the blade - like a small fishing weight? Just thinking it through. It's like balancing a wheel on a car...

Or am I thinking this to death?:smile:

I think you are Tom - a simple self-adhesive pad is all that's needed.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As per my message above Tom, the ones I bought here do have the weights included.  

That's good to see. Thanks for the info! I posted my last before yours so didn't see it until now. What brand did you get and what do you think of it so far?

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think you are Tom - a simple self-adhesive pad is all that's needed.  

Oh yeah... I agree totally...and not the first time!:biggrin:

I was wrongly assuming that fans here would be cheap and not have those. I look in some peoples' homes and some stores and the fans can wobble dangerously at slow speeds or fast.

The Casablanca fan we had installed in USA a lifetime ago came with a slider clip weight thing for determining where the weight(s) should be located. I think there were two or three of the adhesive-backed weights, as you mentioned, included for the "permanent" installation. I had to do two sessions to get it balanced properly. After that it didn't wobble a bit.

I also had it installed on a pole from the very high ceiling to lower it and make it more effective - worked like a champ!

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That's good to see. Thanks for the info! I posted my last before yours so didn't see it until now. What brand did you get and what do you think of it so far?

Oh yeah... I agree totally...and not the first time!:biggrin:

I was wrongly assuming that fans here would be cheap and not have those. I look in some peoples' homes and some stores and the fans can wobble dangerously at slow speeds or fast.

The Casablanca fan we had installed in USA a lifetime ago came with a slider clip weight thing for determining where the weight(s) should be located. I think there were two or three of the adhesive-backed weights, as you mentioned, included for the "permanent" installation. I had to do two sessions to get it balanced properly. After that it didn't wobble a bit.

I also had it installed on a pole from the very high ceiling to lower it and make it more effective - worked like a champ!

We have 4 Westinghouse (I think - the brand they sell in SM) and have had them for 4 years - no problems so far and work well enough.  The only concern I have is when at full-speed they swing a little more than I'd like - not wobbling but as per a post from Jack, this is a design feature so perhaps not concerning.  In all honesty, we don't use them much as the A/C is way more effective.   

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

We have 4 Westinghouse (I think - the brand they sell in SM) and have had them for 4 years - no problems so far and work well enough.  The only concern I have is when at full-speed they swing a little more than I'd like - not wobbling but as per a post from Jack, this is a design feature so perhaps not concerning.  In all honesty, we don't use them much as the A/C is way more effective.   

I'm not a fan of air con (pun intended), so we have ceiling fans in all the rooms. As I said before most wobble but have been told by members that is normal. Bedroom fans are on all night but still scared to have them on at full speed

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

we don't use them much as the A/C is way more effective. 

We are okay with just ceiling fan during the day, then add on the floor fan - although L cannot stand feeling fan draft on her skin so it's only for me. Aircon for bedtime and sometimes on super hot, breezeless afternoons. As someone said previously, it can be a bit more difficult to have the aircon running, then go outside and be blasted by the heat and humidity and try to acclimate. We can do that, but it takes a good half hour...

I will remember the Westinghouse brand if I cannot find Hunter...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'm not a fan of air con (pun intended), so we have ceiling fans in all the rooms. As I said before most wobble but have been told by members that is normal. Bedroom fans are on all night but still scared to have them on at full speed

Nice pun... (wrong topic though:hystery:)?

I went for over 20 years on the yacht with just fans and didn't miss the air/con. But it was starting to wear on me, especially when working outside in the sun (had to do that sometimes for some tasks). Here in Philippines, on many days it was so hot that I could only work for 1/2 hour or a bit more, then go inside and sit in front of a fan to dry off the sweat, drink a liter of water and chill... Finally I bailed for the aircon and it was one of the best things I ever did...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Here in Philippines, on many days it was so hot that I could only work for 1/2 hour or a bit more, then go inside and sit in front of a fan to dry off the sweat

What kind of work do you do in Philippines?