Hard Shell Suitcases - What Do You Think?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We have two large hard "plastic" shell suitcases and one small carry-on hard shell.  We bought the first large one before our 2016 trip to NZ.  On the way home, it got a big crack in it.  I mended it with epoxy and duct tape, and it held up on the next trip to the U.S.  in 2017.  The other big one bought for the U.S. trip is still intact but the handle broke.

We used the small carry-on hard shell for our trip to Cebu this past week.  On the way to Cebu we carried it on, but on the way back today, we checked it as it was light and we had some extra check-in kilos available.  Air Asia had me sign a special baggage tag that said the bag was "received damaged" and I'm asking "what is this?".  She said that they now do this for all hard shell cases, and she put "Fragile" tape on it.  WTF?  I didn't say anything more, but thinking about it later, this tells me that these cases are breaking and people are making claims on them.  Later, when recovering our bags, I noticed other customers with the "Fragile" tape on their big hard shell bags.

Remember the bullet scam?  That is when these hard shell cases became the rage here in PH.  No outside pockets, etc., etc.  That is around the time we bought ours, because we thought they were durable and lightweight.

Of course, there are many types, and you get what you pay for.  I don't like to spend too much for luggage but look for decent quality and value.  This past May, we needed another medium bag, so I bought a 2 piece set of Samsonite canvas bags (medium check-in and carry-on) for p6999 at S&R.  10 year warranty although I'm not sure how I would claim it.

I think we are done with that type of hard shell suitcase and will continue with canvas.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think we are done with that type of hard shell suitcase and will continue with canvas.  Thoughts?

I will ask my sister, she's a flight attendant, they are the experts, she uses the warranties a lot, wheels, handles and zippers are usually the weak parts.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Air Asia had me sign a special baggage tag that said the bag was "received damaged" and I'm asking "what is this?". 

Well Don, It's a fact that people are claiming miss handling as the cause, which in some cases is true ( no pun intended )

The other thought is that maybe some people are making multi-claims.

Certainly easier  to have more flexible cabin luggage as usually there is a shortage of space in overhead lockers...just my thoughts :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Heeb said:

I will ask my sister, she's a flight attendant, they are the experts, she uses the warranties a lot, wheels, handles and zippers are usually the weak parts.

The pilots all used to use a brand called TravelPro.  I bought one, a carry on, over 20 years ago and it is still good, but no longer fits the current cabin baggage restrictions.  It's too long.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The pilots all used to use a brand called TravelPro.  I bought one, a carry on, over 20 years ago and it is still good, but no longer fits the current cabin baggage restrictions.  It's too long.

I seem to be getting the cold shoulder from my sister, happens from time to time, it's been a week since she answered my texts. I do have some of her old luggage here at the house and it is all Travelpro stuff, I don't think she ever uses checked baggage so she probably doesn't know that much about the durability of hard shell luggage anyway.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I have two Samsonite 'Cosmolite' hard shell cases They are made of very light weight material and have lasted well. I was long haul aircrew myself and the smaller one (75 litres) I bought nearly ten years ago has seen a great deal of use on a daily basis. Apart from the inevitable scuffs and scratches it is still as good now as when I bought it. Three years ago I bought the larger, (123 litres) into which the smaller one fits perfectly, for when we travel to the UK each year. We travel light to the UK, putting the smaller into the larger, so we can use both on our return to Phils to max out our baggage allowance. You should never check in an empty hard shell case. That is asking for damage to be done as, when empty, they are not designed to absorb heavy weights of other bags placed on top when loaded in the aircraft hold. 

They are certainly not cheap, but they have certainly lasted extremely well. And being so light, you can carry more within your allowance.

Ken

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

conveyerI was considering the hard shell luggage a while back.  About the same time I started seeing hard shell luggage cracked while at the airport since they have become popular.  After a closer look I decided to stay with my old standbys and just replace them as needed.  Canvas and/or ripstop nylon duffels.  I started using military duffels years ago.  However, since they are loaded from the end, or top, my wife did not like them.  So I started buying they ones zippered long ways.  It does make it much easier to load.  The reason I went with the duffels was back when they lowered the weight from 70lbs to 50 lbs.  The duffels are much lighter allowing just that little extra space for all those give aways we brought to the Philippines.  Another plus was that the return trip was easier because the empty duffels went into another bag.  Now if you have breakables or something that needs more protection, when wrap those items in cardboard.  I've once packed several glass framed pictures in a duffel without breakage.  Packed face to face with cardboard between and then between layers of clothing.  Worked the first time.  Second time we had broke glass.  Now we just remove glass and buy glass after arriving.  Another nice feature of the duffels is they are flexible and will fit where hard cases will not.  The only damage I have had with a duffel is when it get hung up on one of the conveyer at the airport and will rub marks or even a small hole.  But that can happen with any piece of luggage.  I now prefer the cheaper ones like linked below with the wheels and without the a frame which adds additional weight.  I consider these disposable but they have lasted for years now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-32-Compactible-Rolling-Duffel/324160937

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

I have two Samsonite 'Cosmolite' hard shell cases They are made of very light weight material and have lasted well. I was long haul aircrew myself and the smaller one (75 litres) I bought nearly ten years ago has seen a great deal of use on a daily basis. Apart from the inevitable scuffs and scratches it is still as good now as when I bought it. Three years ago I bought the larger, (123 litres) into which the smaller one fits perfectly, for when we travel to the UK each year. We travel light to the UK, putting the smaller into the larger, so we can use both on our return to Phils to max out our baggage allowance. You should never check in an empty hard shell case. That is asking for damage to be done as, when empty, they are not designed to absorb heavy weights of other bags placed on top when loaded in the aircraft hold. 

They are certainly not cheap, but they have certainly lasted extremely well. And being so light, you can carry more within your allowance.

Ken

Yes, I looked at Samsonite hard shells and they were well out of my budget!

I have seen passengers with what looks like metal cases, but I just looked on Amazon and they don't have any metal cases, so I assume those I have seen must be "metal look" plastic.

In the U.S., Costco used to have to Kirkland brand luggage that was good quality.  I had a large canvas one that was in good shape but I gave it away because I thought it was too heavy!  :bonk:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, intrepid said:

After a closer look I decided to stay with my old standbys and just replace them as needed. 

One reason for replacing older luggage is the wheels.  The new ones with spinner wheels are sure nice when waiting in lines or walking around the airport.  However, with those wheels sticking out, they probably are not as durable.

17 minutes ago, intrepid said:

The duffels are much lighter

I use a cheap duffel as my carry-on.  Easier to smash into the overhead bin and I like having a few outside pockets to put some quick access items in.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I've always used the durable type travel luggage, don't matter what's put on top they still retain there shape and the cloths inside, you can't beggar them. Years ago one of my big bags fell apart, ( dear Ozzy one ) and I bought a replacement to tied me over until I could get another one back home. I went into a mall over there and bought one for 900 Peso's and to date I still haven't replaced it and you now what still going strong. Some times you get what you paid for work to your advantage. :thumbsup:

• Like 1