Hard Shell Suitcases - What Do You Think?

graham59
Posted
Posted

You need to read the customer reviews, consumer surveys/tests on luggage now.  So much cheap rubbish on the market. 

I use soft wall cases and bags, (which are more  'forgiving' ) and if carrying something fragile, will line the bag with my own plywood or mdf , held together with small steel corner brackets.   

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I looked at Samsonite hard shells and they were well out of my budget!

I have seen passengers with what looks like metal cases, but I just looked on Amazon and they don't have any metal cases, so I assume those I have seen must be "metal look" plastic.

In the U.S., Costco used to have to Kirkland brand luggage that was good quality.  I had a large canvas one that was in good shape but I gave it away because I thought it was too heavy!  :bonk:

Pelican metal cases?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, graham59 said:

if carrying something fragile, will line the bag with my own plywood or mdf , held together with small steel corner brackets.   

Does that add much weight to the case?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, robert k said:

Pelican metal cases?

Does Pelican make luggage sizes with linings, that are light weight?  I know them from dive camera cases and other gear cases.  Good stuff!

intrepid
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Does Pelican make luggage sizes with linings, that are light weight?  I know them from dive camera cases and other gear cases.  Good stuff!

Yes Pelican now makes luggage size cases as well as rifle cases and foot locker sizes.  They are heavy.  The one larger size I lifted was empty but felt more than half full.  A couple pair of jeans and I think would be at the airlines limit.  Of cours nothing would get damaged inside a Pelican case.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Does that add much weight to the case?

Very little (1/4" ply or MDF).  Maybe a kilo ?  You're only bringing the weight up to that of a very expensive  'hard-shell' , anyway, but done PROPERLY .  Saw,  tape measure, and screwdriver needed. 

Here's one of the bags I've used in the past...the largest size of 'holdall' on the market, and within airline size regs,  but with wheels at one end and a pull-out handle at the other. 36"x15"x15", plus pockets. It will easily accommodate 30 kilos, and I have put MDF inserts in there too. The bag still only weighs around 4 kilos. I put my very expensive amplifier in there last trip !  Works fine, and the bag is now under my bed,  (that I also constructed myself :biggrin:) as a useful 'storage unit'.  

DSC_0129.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Here's one of the bags I've used in the past

Pink, Graham? Not criticizing... I guess it will stand out if checked and on the conveyor and will be easy to spot in the overhead storage too. The main thing is that it works!

Actually, my methods are a bit different. I have two backpacks, either of which will pass the carry-on limits, however the larger one doesn't always make it if packed full. One is a utility, "urban" pack with all sorts of compartments. I can pack it right to the max permitted weight and that is enough clothing and supplies for close to a week. The bigger one is a single compartment bag for extended trail hiking and can carry 15 kilos and more. It has compression straps so I can really tighten it up securely.

If I am returning here with a lot of stuff and either am allowed big check-in or pay extra for it, I will sometimes just go to a store and buy a strong shipping box, a roll of tape and a magic marker. So my checked luggage is a big pack and a box or just the box. It's cheaper than buying another piece of luggage (I don't travel needing lots of luggage anyway) and I don't care if it gets beat up, so long as I pack well - as Graham and others have already stated - to keep anything somewhat fragile protected. This system has worked for me for over 20 years.

With the packs only, I just sling one over each shoulder and carry on. But, with advancing age, I will soon need the bags with wheels... Hard cases seem best so long as they are packed solid inside to provide resistance to impacts or abuse by luggage handlers.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

If you look closely at the pic, I do have (actually a pretty large) holdall slung over my shoulder. That's my normal carry-on. The red bag is much too big to fit in an overhead bin. lol The pic is deceptive. :wink:

I also still have the very good quality 60 litre rucksack (with concealable straps) that I was using on my Phils trips almost 30 years ago... now in semi-retirement, and containing a tent, ground sheet, and sleeping bag.  :biggrin: 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Here we are... hiking in the Bicol mountains: 

The bag is still going strong.... but not sure about the owner. lol 

various 017.jpg

• Like 3