Shooting Sports/owning firearms

Lou49
Posted
Posted

The work around is to have a firearm registered in your wife/gf’s name.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

3 posts hidden (including my own) for wandering into the topic of gun ownership in the USA.  Lets stay away from that controversial topic please.  The thread is about:

3 hours ago, "P2" said:

Should I decide to move to the Philippines, will I be able to bring my firearms with me? Are there shootings ranges/gun clubs there? What are the rules regarding firearms and ammunition.

• Love it 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, "P2" said:

Hey Guys

Do any of you engage in shooting sports? You know, Clays, skeet, Trap, Rifle and Pistol shooting? I do here where I live in the US and enjoy it quite a bit. I also own firearms as well. Should I decide to move to the Philippines, will I be able to bring my firearms with me? Are there shootings ranges/gun clubs there? What are the rules regarding firearms and ammunition. Educate me on what it takes to own firearms there. I would hate to give up something that I enjoy doing here in the US should I move to the Philippines. Thanks again for all of your help!

Do any of you engage in shooting sports? You know, Clays, skeet, Trap, Rifle and Pistol shooting?

Did all of the above in the USA, but not here.   Also hunted varmints with my Ruger 77V in 22-250.  I was able to shoot a 5/8 group at 100 yards using hand loads.

Should I decide to move to the Philippines, will I be able to bring my firearms with me?

As other has stated, you cannot bring your firearms.

Are there shootings ranges/gun clubs there?

Yes there are, but I have not gone to one.

What are the rules regarding firearms and ammunition. Educate me on what it takes to own firearms there.

The rules are very simple, as a foreigner you cannot own firearms.

I would hate to give up something that I enjoy doing here in the US should I move to the Philippines.

The inability to own firearms is one of those things that you would need to accept to live here.  Another is the inability to own land in your own name.  These two restrictions on foreigners are often the source of ire for expats. 

An earlier poster recommended buying and registering a weapon in your wife's name.  Even if your wife were to own the weapon, you would not be allowed to carry or transport the weapon.  Here are the requirements for a citizen to own a firearm.

<snip>

Section 4. Standards and Requisites for Issuance of and Obtaining a License to Own and Possess Firearms. – In order to qualify and acquire a license to own and possess a firearm or firearms and ammunition, the applicant must be a Filipino citizen, at least twenty-one (21) years old and has gainful work, occupation or business or has filed an Income Tax Return (ITR) for the preceding year as proof of income, profession, business or occupation.

In addition, the applicant shall submit the following certification issued by appropriate authorities attesting the following:

(a) The applicant has not been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude;

(b) The applicant has passed the psychiatric test administered by a PNP-accredited psychologist or psychiatrist;

(c) The applicant has passed the drug test conducted by an accredited and authorized drug testing laboratory or clinic;

(d) The applicant has passed a gun safety seminar which is administered by the PNP or a registered and authorized gun club;

(e) The applicant has filed in writing the application to possess a registered firearm which shall state the personal circumstances of the applicant;

(f) The applicant must present a police clearance from the city or municipality police office; and

(g) The applicant has not been convicted or is currently an accused in a pending criminal case before any court of law for a crime that is punishable with a penalty of more than two (2) years.

<end snip>

Here is a link to Philippine Republic Act 10591 which is the law regarding ownership of firearms.  It is rather lengthy, so I will not paste the entire text of the law.

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2013/ra_10591_2013.html

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

The fact that your wife can own a firearm doesn't mean that you can carry or use it. 

So, what is the point, except opening up a new route to jail, not to mention the extraction of large sums of money from you ?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Viking said:

I understand how you feel, I also enjoy going to the shooting range but when we make the move next year, I have decided to forget about trying to get any guns there. I know that its not possible for a foreigner to own a gun ( if you follow the law), but many do as  one person here said, they register it on their wife. I dont know if that is a good advice or not, but I will not do it. When I want to go shooting, I will go to a range and rent a gun for that occasion only. To me that seems to be the easiest way with the least amount of trouble and risks for me and my woman.

Related to this topic, on our local residents FB group here in Subic, there was a topic on where to shoot at a range.  A few people responded, both foreigners and locals.  One range mentioned was the local LED range.  I guess the public can use it with arrangements made.  There is a local guy who will take you there and let you use his guns.  For a fee, of course.

For expats, I asked where they get the guns.  One guy, European, a respected leader in the Freeport, business owner and on the Chamber of Commerce board, replied that they bring their own guns.  Also, his son, (probably has Filipino Citizenship) recently won a contest in Clark.

Another guy, an American I know, replied:  "Don, are you looking for a firearm?  I have one for sale."

No mention of wives owning the firearms.

In this group where they posted this, we actually local LED and politicians in the group.  They seem rather casual about possessing firearms!

More confused!  :89:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In this group where they posted this, we actually local LED and politicians in the group.  They seem rather casual about possessing firearms!

In a rural area I lived in, most of the foreigners possessed guns.  The local politicians and police knew about it but made it clear that if anyone ever complained about a foreigner owning a gun then the rules would be enforced.  The one fellow I know, who carried a pistol in his glove box, was still shot and killed (while he was driving, with his pistol in his glove box, and he was a retired Marine who knew how to use it.)  The guys who shot and killed him were hired assassins in relation to a land claim but the point is the gun did not help him.

IMHO foreigners often possess firearms in "their" homes in the same way they possess "their" homes.  Neither is legal, and yet both are done.  Until someone files a complaint.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Lou49 said:

The work around is to have a firearm registered in your wife/gf’s name.

Work around?  How would you ever be able to use it, legally?  And, if not, what's the point?

You may as well go the whole hog and buy, own and use it illegally as the end result will be the same.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure I'd be happy my Mrs having easy access to a gun .  :unsure:

Oh, and while I'm on.... I have often been to shooting ranges in the UK (indoor and outdoor), as my best friend for many years was a licensed gun dealer, and excellent shot. Pistols, rifle, clay pigeons, etc.

In the indoor range he'd lend me his very nice and very loud .357 Magnum revolver.  :smile:

Edited by graham59

Lou49
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Work around?  How would you ever be able to use it, legally?  And, if not, what's the point?

You may as well go the whole hog and buy, own and use it illegally as the end result will be the same.  

If u want to go to the range and shoot bring the wife along. Not complicated.

• Thanks 1