Shooting Sports/owning firearms

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 8/30/2019 at 10:14 PM, "P2" said:

So I would also assume that for foreigners (expats) hunting is also illegal since we can't possess a firearm? 

As far as I know, only two legged dear are in season year round!:dance:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

As far as I know, only two legged dear are in season year round!:dance:

Sick puppy AK...:hystery:

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
Boinky69
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys, just refreshing this post, are conditions / laws still the same regarding expats holding gun licenses? I see this site is stating (without qualifications) that expats who are permanent residents (not Citizens) can get some special pert to hold a license? https://thegunzone.com/can-you-own-a-gun-in-the-philippines/

They also state here: https://thegunzone.com/how-to-get-a-permit-to-carry-firearms-in-the-philippines/

4. Can foreigners apply for a permit to carry firearms in the Philippines?

Yes, foreigners with a valid Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card (ACR I-Card) and proof of residency in the Philippines can apply for a permit to carry firearms.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Republic Act 10591

Qualifications to carry guns were set forward by Republic Act 10591 (RA 10591) or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act. RA 10591 stipulates that people seeking to carry a gun may apply for a Permit to Carry Firearm Outside Residence (PTCFOR). PTCFORs are granted on a may-issue basis at the discretion of the issuing authority. A qualified person may apply for a PTCFOR if they are under actual threat. The law specifies people who are considered to be in danger due to their profession or activities. These include lawyers or members of the Philippine Bar, certified public accountants, accredited media practitioners, cashiers, bank tellers, priests, ministers, rabbis and imams, physicians, nurses, and engineers. Businessmen who, by nature of their activities are at high risk of being targeted are also allowed to apply for PTC.

Section 10 of RA 10591 also specifies the firearms that may be registered. Only Class A light weapons (firearms not chambered in a caliber exceeding 7.62mm or capable of fully automatic fire) are allowed to be registered by licensed citizens or juridical entities for ownership, possession, and concealed carrying.

The act also provides for the procurement of arms for use by law enforcement and military personnel. It states that a class B light weapon shall only be possessed by the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other authorized law enforcement agencies.

Licensing and registration

RA 10591 lays out the licensing and registration requirements for firearms.

First and foremost, all firearms must be registered with the PNP. Firearms for use in sports and competitions also require licensing. Firearm and ammunition manufacturers must also apply for licenses. Gun stores are also required to have a license based on the new law for the purchase and sale of guns, as well as general business in handling firearms and ammunition. Gunsmiths must also apply for a license before they may repair registered firearms.

Current laws require gun owners to renew their licenses every two years on or before the date of expiration. If they fail to renew their licenses, it will be automatically revoked, resulting in the lawful confiscation of the firearm by the PNP.

The registration of the firearm must also be renewed every four years, else the license will be revoked and the firearm will be confiscated. Failure to renew the license or registration twice will result in the person being permanently barred from applying for another firearm license.

Renewal applications of the license or registration may be submitted to the Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) of the PNP within six months before the license or firearm's expiration.[9]

• Like 1

Boinky69
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Republic Act 10591

Qualifications to carry guns were set forward by Republic Act 10591 (RA 10591) or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act. RA 10591 stipulates that people seeking to carry a gun may apply for a Permit to Carry Firearm Outside Residence (PTCFOR). PTCFORs are granted on a may-issue basis at the discretion of the issuing authority. A qualified person may apply for a PTCFOR if they are under actual threat. The law specifies people who are considered to be in danger due to their profession or activities. These include lawyers or members of the Philippine Bar, certified public accountants, accredited media practitioners, cashiers, bank tellers, priests, ministers, rabbis and imams, physicians, nurses, and engineers. Businessmen who, by nature of their activities are at high risk of being targeted are also allowed to apply for PTC.

Section 10 of RA 10591 also specifies the firearms that may be registered. Only Class A light weapons (firearms not chambered in a caliber exceeding 7.62mm or capable of fully automatic fire) are allowed to be registered by licensed citizens or juridical entities for ownership, possession, and concealed carrying.

The act also provides for the procurement of arms for use by law enforcement and military personnel. It states that a class B light weapon shall only be possessed by the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other authorized law enforcement agencies.

Licensing and registration

RA 10591 lays out the licensing and registration requirements for firearms.

First and foremost, all firearms must be registered with the PNP. Firearms for use in sports and competitions also require licensing. Firearm and ammunition manufacturers must also apply for licenses. Gun stores are also required to have a license based on the new law for the purchase and sale of guns, as well as general business in handling firearms and ammunition. Gunsmiths must also apply for a license before they may repair registered firearms.

Current laws require gun owners to renew their licenses every two years on or before the date of expiration. If they fail to renew their licenses, it will be automatically revoked, resulting in the lawful confiscation of the firearm by the PNP.

The registration of the firearm must also be renewed every four years, else the license will be revoked and the firearm will be confiscated. Failure to renew the license or registration twice will result in the person being permanently barred from applying for another firearm license.

Renewal applications of the license or registration may be submitted to the Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) of the PNP within six months before the license or firearm's expiration.[9]

Hi Old55 - RA 10591 seems to simply states you must be a Filipino Citizen. It would therefore seem that the any License under an ACR Card or a Residency Visa would not comply? I think there maybe pathways to securing a license while technically NOT being a full blown "Filipino Citizen"? I would think some guys who are married with some long term residence in the PI would have a license, regardless of the RA10591 classification re Citizen? 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Republic Act 10591 seems very clear on the subject. But I'm not a lawyer.

Boinky69
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Republic Act 10591 seems very clear on the subject. But I'm not a lawyer.

Yes I agree, but I hear stories of Expats carry weapons / holding a permit (possibly business men). I'm thinking a License may be possible but the legality of it worries me. My concern is if the weapon is ever used and the License is questioned later as to validity.. the shooter could possibly be in a very bad position legally. Likewise if your Filipino spouse was to hold the license and an expat actually used the weapon. Even in a self defense situation if not licensed I would have concerns.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Boinky69 said:

Yes I agree, but I hear stories of Expats carry weapons / holding a permit (possibly business men). I'm thinking a License may be possible but the legality of it worries me. My concern is if the weapon is ever used and the License is questioned later as to validity.. the shooter could possibly be in a very bad position legally. Likewise if your Filipino spouse was to hold the license and an expat actually used the weapon. Even in a self defense situation if not licensed I would have concerns.

You definitely should be concerned and worried.  Many things that are illegal in the Philippines can be purchased including permits, senior citizen cards, etc.  Holding such illegally obtained paperwork will not keep you from being arrested, jailed, and finally deported after serving time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Boinky69 said:

It's true, we hear all types of stories and speculation regarding foreigners owning or using guns. As a Foreigner visiting Philippines I respect and obey Filipino laws and regulations. I have no desire to spend time in a Filipino prison. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It's true, we hear all types of stories and speculation regarding foreigners owning or using guns. As a Foreigner visiting Philippines I respect and obey Filipino laws and regulations. I have no desire to spend time in a Filipino prison. 

Philippine prison is not the best way to meet folks here. 

2016-08-philippines-asia-drug_users-detention.jpg

• Like 2