Life as a professional mature couple?

Bluefishlover
Posted
Posted

My husband and I have been married 35 years and are both professionals (MD/PhDs).  We are considering a move to the Philippines for retirement.  Since we have both been travelers we are not concerned about the issues of culture challenges.  The main concern we have is the social culture that I will find as a female, middle age, professional, financially independent.  So far I see a series of lovely Filipino women, but frankly have seen nothing on women who are professionals and successful in their own right.  Women that are financial and professional equals to their husbands or partners.  

Are there mature successful professional females as expats?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Bluefishlover said:

Welcome

Let's start by asking where you intend to live in the Philippines? 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bluefishlover said:

So far I see a series of lovely Filipino women, but frankly have seen nothing on women who are professionals and successful in their own right.  Women that are financial and professional equals to their husbands or partners.  

You have visited Philippines and not met any successful highly educated professional women? Frankly I’m surprised! What areas were you and you’re husband visiting? Philippines is a matriarchal society. For the most part  Filipina’s run the place. 

There are very few Foreign female expatriates living in Philippines. 

If you are asking if you may make friends with educated successful sophisticated Filipina’s the answer is yes but it will take time and depend on you. 

My wife and I live in the States visit Cebu yearly. I have Filipino friends and family in Cebu who are well educated and successful. They keep to their own small circle of friends but it’s not impossible to network some of them.

Hope this helps :tiphat:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Bluefishlover said:

So far I see a series of lovely Filipino women, but frankly have seen nothing on women who are professionals and successful in their own right.  Women that are financial and professional equals to their husbands or partners.

Yes, there are many, especially in the larger cities.  There seems to be no "glass ceiling"  for women in the professional world here.  Look for a doctor, attorney, politician, engineer, professor, etc, and you are as likely to find the position filled by female as male. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will add in my experiences here in Davao...

My partner is a high school teacher with a college masters degree - very smart woman.

My lawyer, who is very wise and experienced is also a woman.

My female dentist is an experienced oral surgeon who lectures on that in USA.

My female dermatologist often travels to USA to lecture about new state-of-the-art treatments.

My partner and I are just starting to build our new home. The contractor couple is wife and husband and the wife is the civil engineer, very experienced and really in charge of the construction.

My about-to-be-niece is in third year college for architecture and is very smart.

My about-to-be-sister-in-law is a college graduate mid-wife currently working abroad.

My other about-to-be-sister-in-law is also a school teacher with a masters degree.

As I think you may now see, there are a lot of highly educated, intelligent women here. However, as previously mentioned, becoming friends with any of these would depend on you and them and your personal chemistry.

I suggest you visit here for a while to experience the Philippines and be sure it is a place where you really will want to stay and grow old. It is a wonderful place, but not for everyone....

Welcome to the forum and I wish you all the best.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife's husband.......is the House Boy.......:whistling:

Happy retirement.jpg

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Sounds more like a wind up to me.... Or too far up your own arse.... 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I will add in my experiences here in Davao...

My partner is a high school teacher with a college masters degree - very smart woman.

My lawyer, who is very wise and experienced is also a woman.

My female dentist is an experienced oral surgeon who lectures on that in USA.

My female dermatologist often travels to USA to lecture about new state-of-the-art treatments.

My partner and I are just starting to build our new home. The contractor couple is wife and husband and the wife is the civil engineer, very experienced and really in charge of the construction.

My about-to-be-niece is in third year college for architecture and is very smart.

My about-to-be-sister-in-law is a college graduate mid-wife currently working abroad.

My other about-to-be-sister-in-law is also a school teacher with a masters degree.

As I think you may now see, there are a lot of highly educated, intelligent women here. However, as previously mentioned, becoming friends with any of these would depend on you and them and your personal chemistry.

I suggest you visit here for a while to experience the Philippines and be sure it is a place where you really will want to stay and grow old. It is a wonderful place, but not for everyone....

Welcome to the forum and I wish you all the best.

So what you are trying to say is that the men sit around drinking all day and send their wives out to work.:7500:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So what you are trying to say is that the men sit around drinking all day and send their wives out to work.:7500:

Actually, yes, Gary... I have observed a fair number of guys who do exactly that... and smoke their cigarettes and drink their 1 litre beers... But, as I have said in other threads... this does not mean ALL men or ALL wives... of course. Sorry, Jack... I really don't mean to demean all Filipino men here...

And, of course, there are quite a few very educated and talented men here too. I am so very pleased to see the progress here with education for all. I just want to see more of it, especially for the poorest who have the slimest prospects to excel... So L and I do whatever we can to help improve this...

Plus... one of the many things I notice here is that regarding relationships... here, women are expected to be chaste and "boys will be boys." Sad, but true...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2