Life as a professional mature couple?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Thinking Jack......quite a lot of qualified medical staff  from Philippines tend to go abroad initially establish themselves in a country of their choice before returning in later life, you beat me to post!

However I know of a Doctor who spends her time between the US and her home town where she has a practice for the benefit of locals.

This couple in the OP are it would seem thinking of retiring to Philippines not practising.

However there would be locals who would be grateful of their help at times of need but that's not what their plan is, it's more about Socializing with professionals from all accounts. Cheers me ole mate

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

there would be locals who would be grateful of their help at times

There are many who would be grateful, but my American Chiropractor is retiring from his Dumaguete practice because, he says, the Philippine medical profession are trying to push out all foreigners from the medical profession.  Its the old story of:  Better run like hell by Filipinos than run efficiently by foreigners (to paraphrase Pres. Quezon of long ago).

However the couple are thinking of retiring here and the question was asked:

20 hours ago, Bluefishlover said:

Are there mature successful professional females as expats?

The answer I am most comfortable with is:  I haven't seen any who fit that description, unless you consider Filipinas who emigrated, became citizens of another country, then returned as quasi-expats.

If there were any, they would likely have their social circles in Manila or Cebu and they would not likely be in my peer group.  Nor have I noticed any on this forum, with possible exception of @Queenie O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Thinking Jack......quite a lot of qualified medical staff  from Philippines tend to go abroad initially establish themselves in a country of their choice before returning in later life, you beat me to post!

If they're allowed to, my Wifes brother is studying to be a doctor, once he's qualified he has to work for atleast 10 years in the Philippines before he's allowed to go abroad, he'll be about 40 by then lol. Not sure if it's a requirement for all doctors or just because he goes to UP.

• Like 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted

I just read the moniker and If the OP is as she says, a bluefish lover, she might be from the states adjacent to Long Island Sound. My  home town has the bluefish in spades. Don’t know if they’re fished anywhere else.

Lou49
Posted
Posted
On 8/31/2019 at 9:37 AM, Bluefishlover said:

My husband and I have been married 35 years and are both professionals (MD/PhDs).  We are considering a move to the Philippines for retirement.  Since we have both been travelers we are not concerned about the issues of culture challenges.  The main concern we have is the social culture that I will find as a female, middle age, professional, financially independent.  So far I see a series of lovely Filipino women, but frankly have seen nothing on women who are professionals and successful in their own right.  Women that are financial and professional equals to their husbands or partners.  

Are there mature successful professional females as expats?

Why do u want to leave your home country? You will never be as comfortable in the PI as you are at home. Weather, pollution, traffic, food, crowds, cable and internet connections etc.,level and quality of service....it can really wear you down over time. I lasted 13 months, now I visit twice a year for a few months...Try a 6 month visit in a few different places.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

If , my Wifes brother is studying to be a doctor, once he's qualified he has to work for at least 10 years in the Philippines before he's allowed to go abroad

At least that's one way to keep a supply of Doctors. Is that for a Government paid Scholarship?

The number of foreign medical staff is high in UK, but who knows what might happen after Brexit!

Well I'm not sure, but I think for Filipino nurses, it's two years after training?........something to check out.

Rayj
Posted
Posted

Sorry to say this but the food for the most part is quite awful

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Rayj said:

Sorry to say this but the food for the most part is quite awful

I'd start looking for a new restaurant then, or perhaps a new cook!