Sad Reality Of Death

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It bothers me as I have seen this many times, not in person but in photos.

When there is a bad accident here like the other day where there are pictures of two children lying on the road dead and probably mum and another half under a vehicle squashed and dead but nobody bothers to try to cover up the bodies so the world does not have to see.

Jack knows the pics I refer to in this case but seems so common to do nothing and leave the tragedy for all to see.

I remember seeing a video who knows 5 years ago here in Cebu where a truck lost its brakes, mangled body parts and guts everywhere and kids walking past on their way home from school. 

Is it not some sort of decency to try to cover up the victims until removed ? 

:sad:

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank goodness JGF, we are spared that sort of thing here in UK.

News items containing unpleasant scenes are censored.

Only yesterday I explained to my wife that up to a few years ago, before some TV programmes started, it would be announced

"This programme is not suitable for viewers of a nervous disposition" 

What effect seeing things like you have described  must have on people, especially children, i do not know

Edited by Kuya John

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When there is a bad accident here like the other day where there are pictures of two children lying on the road dead and probably mum and another half under a vehicle squashed and dead but nobody bothers to try to cover up the bodies so the world does not have to see.

Jack knows the pics I refer to in this case but seems so common to do nothing and leave the tragedy for all to see.

I remember seeing a video who knows 5 years ago here in Cebu where a truck lost its brakes, mangled body parts and guts everywhere and kids walking past on their way home from school. 

Is it not some sort of decency to try to cover up the victims until removed ? 

:sad:

Your lettering you western sensibilities show, in asia they just don't think that way.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

It's true to say Gary that in certain parts of the world, were tragedies happen on a daily basis, including war, people become hardened by what they see. One can understand the anger that pours out in certain situations. Thank God I have never had to experience it.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes I saw some pictures on Facebook concerning accidents on the roads and bodies just lying there while lots of folk are there taking pictures or still trying to get past the bodies, even when the police turn up the bodies are still left , is it the world we live in these days with social media .

A few years ago we was driving in Scotland and I noticed this lady cyclist pass us and as we was held up at traffic lights she was way up the road then the next thing up on the hill her bike was in the middle of the road and she was on the floor, people was all around her helping her plus helping the traffic keep moving , the next minute Emma was getting her phone out, asked what she was doing plus also don’t you dare take any pictures of what has happened , she soon put the phone away.

I always will stop if I see anything that may need my help even if you cannot help as I would like someone to stop and help me if help was needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I understand what your saying Jolly, perhaps I am inured to them from what I have seen on the battlefield or just 60 years of seeing documentaries about the holocaust.

What bothers me much, much more is the videos of an old lady being mugged or a person drowning or a person stuck in an overturned car. What has happened to our society as a whole when bystanders do not aid the old lady, look for some rope or assist the person in the car, but instead stand by with their phone and video the action for posterity? :SugarwareZ-034:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

were tragedies happen on a daily basis, including war, people become hardened by what they see

These two comments have me thinking:  I was raised by parents who lived through the WW2 Blitz of London.  They did not become hardened to death.  They had respect for the dead.  They would not be taking videos or photos of the dead.  They passed those values on to their children.

The problem here in the Philippines is a lack of respect for life.  A life has a lot less value in the Phiippines than in most western cultures.  Thus the death of someone who is not close to them just seems to be entertainment to many people from a Filipino culture.

In my background, I learned the phrase:  There but for the Grace of God go I.  From Filipinos, I hear the phrase: It's their own fault, or, its God's will.  The difference between these opposing philosophies of life is huge.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In my background, I learned the phrase:  There but for the Grace of God go I. 

Same with me.  Did you father also tell you; "You cannot rely on anyone else for your own success, you have to earn it yourself."

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

Did you father also tell you; "You cannot rely on anyone else for your own success, you have to earn it yourself."

Close . . "The world does not owe you a living" and "Nobody told you life was fair."

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Close . . "The world does not owe you a living" and "Nobody told you life was fair."

Yes, heard those also.  Sounds like our fathers were both educated in the school of "hard knocks" and wanted to pass on the lessons learned in their own lives.  I once said to my dad that "I wished for something", I can't remember what it was I was wishing for.  My dad's response was: "Crap in one hand, and wish in the other, see which one fills up first."  I still laugh when I think about that. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1