Sad Reality Of Death

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I asked some Filipino friends about the gory pics, and they did not understand why I disliked the pics. They said they were just real life pics, and if someone sees the actual results of a wreck, it might get their attention and make them try to drive better.

I agree with Gary, it is our Western sensibilities.  Not saying one is better... but I prefer the Western sensibilities in this.  It seems more respectful of the dead.  And on FB I  unfollow anyone  (somehow it is only Filipino) that post such pics.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

It's another of those 'whys', when we live here.

Different culture and ways of thinking. 

Distasteful, if not shocking to us, but nothing we can do about it.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They said they were just real life pics, and if someone sees the actual results of a wreck, it might get their attention and make them try to drive better.

I recall being in a shopping mall in Dubai a few years ago and they displayed pictures of car wrecks very publicly - this was an attempt to encourage safer driving by showing the wrecks.  I'm not convinced it works.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

It's all entertainment to them.

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It bothers me as I have seen this many times, not in person but in photos.

When there is a bad accident here like the other day where there are pictures of two children lying on the road dead and probably mum and another half under a vehicle squashed and dead but nobody bothers to try to cover up the bodies so the world does not have to see.

Jack knows the pics I refer to in this case but seems so common to do nothing and leave the tragedy for all to see.

I remember seeing a video who knows 5 years ago here in Cebu where a truck lost its brakes, mangled body parts and guts everywhere and kids walking past on their way home from school. 

Is it not some sort of decency to try to cover up the victims until removed ? 

:sad:

Those kinds of pics sell newspapers here. Sad but true.:mellow:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

It's all entertainment to them.

A kid drowned next to a river I used to live by. The locals were already making jokes about it hours later.:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

A kid drowned next to a river I used to live by. The locals were already making jokes about it hours later.:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

I notice they are quick to poke fun at the disabled or they don't give a toss about them. No respect at all.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

Your lettering you western sensibilities show, in asia they just don't think that way.

Maybe but to me I think it must be traumatic for little kids to witness horror up close or even in pictures. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe but to me I think it must be traumatic for little kids to witness horror up close or even in pictures. 

Only if their society has taught them to be horrified.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

These two comments have me thinking:  I was raised by parents who lived through the WW2 Blitz of London.  They did not become hardened to death.  They had respect for the dead.  They would not be taking videos or photos of the dead.  They passed those values on to their children.

The problem here in the Philippines is a lack of respect for life.  A life has a lot less value in the Phiippines than in most western cultures.  Thus the death of someone who is not close to them just seems to be entertainment to many people from a Filipino culture.

In my background, I learned the phrase:  There but for the Grace of God go I.  From Filipinos, I hear the phrase: It's their own fault, or, its God's will.  The difference between these opposing philosophies of life is huge.

I hear what you say Dave, my parents too, lived through WW2, my dad just a little to young for call up in WW1!

Their values still hold today for most of our generation, however I can only be thankful that I didn't arrive till just after WW2!

A part from such tragic circumstances such as accidents or the horrific crimes of these latter years, most people my age in UK, who have not served in the Armed forces and seen things first hand, would be horrified to see such graphic photographs, but I can't say that for the younger generation, they have seen the horrors of war and world disasters more graphically than you or I in our younger days.

Because of my upbringing and the fact I have never experienced death of a loved one by any other means than illness or old age is why I thank God everyday.......Today's younger generation have been brought up on instant news, explicit coverage which makes them more proned to accept things that we cannot comprehend. The UK is no exception to what's happening, it's just that stricter rules prevent the use on social media here.

Edited by Kuya John
spelling correction