Overstaying 1 day

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As I mentioned in another post a just a while ago, the BIR started my 29 day extension from the day I fronted up to their office, not the expiry date on my arrival stamp noting my date of expiry.

Just for clarification:-

Date of arrival : July 31st 2019

Date of expiry: Aug 30 2019

So I went to the BIR on the 28th September and my new stamp says Valid until :28th Sep 2019

My departing flight is at 2000hours on the 29th Sep 2019.

What are the consequences of me overstaying 1 day please folks, now and in the future?

Cheers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

What are the consequences of me overstaying 1 day please folks, now and in the future?

In the future, no consequences.  When you leave 1 day late, it could cost you a couple of hundred dollars.

I see by your post that the BI did give you the exact 29 days. They are not wrong.  You get 30 free days on arrival and 29 days on your first extension for a total of 59 days.

Aug 30 to Sept 28 is 29 days.

So what consequences?  Late fee plus the minimum one month extension plus the mandatory ACR card at the 60th day mark whether you leave or not.

EDIT:  You may get a sympathetic BI person who lets it slide when inspecting your passport on exit.  They are few and far between.  Whether you pay all those fees (about 9,000 pesos give or take) at the airport or at the BI it will still cost the same.

Safest way is to change your flight plans and leave a day early.  If it were me I would take my chances at the airport and have enough cash to pay the fees in case I got a sticky wicket.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

As I mentioned in another post a just a while ago, the BIR started my 29 day extension from the day I fronted up to their office, not the expiry date on my arrival stamp noting my date of expiry.

So I went to the BIR on the 28th September and my new stamp says Valid until :28th Sep 2019

Cheers

First off - to remind you of what Dave mentioned - it is BI for immigration.:smile:

I am no authority on the ins and outs, but you do not want to overstay. BI can get a bit stroppy about that and there are hassles and penalties...

Hmmm... maybe my math is off? But, looking at my calendar, it is 29 days from your August 30 last expiry date to your September 28th date? I guess it depends on what is considered the first day of the extension?

Edited by Tommy T.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I inadvertently overstayed by one day and the IO at Manila airport just pointed it out and told me to be more diligent next time. In my case there was no penalty and no consequences down the line. 

In your case I believe the IO who extended your stay was correct. He gave you a 29 day extension. I regularly extend my stay and the first (29 day) extension is always added to the expiry date, not the day of extension.

Ken

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Cheers

I believe the penalty is 500 peso per month (or partial month) of overstay, plus the fee for the extension.  I doubt if a one day overstay would have future consequences, provided you did not create a scene or try to argue with immigration personnel.

So you will have to pay the extension fee in any case, so better to just extend for an additional 30 days and stay legal.  My opinion of course.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Not to be so hard on myself, my reasoning was that my 29 day extension should have started on the 1st day of September (my initial 29 days expiring at Midnight on the 30th of August), so my flight out on the 29th at 2000hrs should have been ok.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Onemore52 said:

Not to be so hard on myself, my reasoning was that my 29 day extension should have started on the 1st day of September (my initial 29 days expiring at Midnight on the 30th of August), so my flight out on the 29th at 2000hrs should have been ok.

AHA.  The old "Thirty days in August" trick. :hystery:  Methinks you forgot the 31st of August.  Oh well, there are days I would rather forget too.

Its not that bad.  You will not get whipped with rubber hoses.  Just have cash in your pocket and a dumb look on your face when you exit at the airport.  They may let you go through or they may charge you the maximum (no more than AUS $300 for sure and probably less).  Either way will not damage your ability to come back to the Philippines in the future.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Initial Stay from Day of Entry is a Total of 59 Days ie; 30 days free then a paid waiver of 29 days Then, each and every extension after is by calendar month ( not days) to start from the last date of the previous extension. The only exception would be February mine always had Feb as the First month so always fell in March as 2 calendar months, so if you extended for one Month in January it would expire on the 27th Feb. No my friend @Onemore52 there is nothing simple here but please be guided from those that have been caught out and keep updated on Holidays as the BI do close on all if not most of them :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a small piece