Car Horns

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, graham59 said:

This would be effective I reckon...  

gunshot horn.jpg

Be careful with that Graham... Try it in Mindanao and you might get yourself shot! (if they have bullets and if their guns work?)

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I wonder if you could be held liable for an accident if your choice of a horn caused an accident due to the "startle effect" of hearing a train, gun shots, etc.?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I wonder if you could be held liable for an accident if your choice of a horn caused an accident

My Dad always told me only to use the horn in emergency. Otherwise you might startle a pedestrian, bicyclist or other driver into doing something unexpected. 50 years later still rarely use the horn

Wife is always saying "honk at them to let them know your coming!" I stopped replying, I see them and it is my job to avoid them, not them me :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, scott h said:

My Dad always told me only to use the horn in emergency.

When being trained to drive a Greyhound bus in Canada, they taught us to use the horn when passing and entering the other vehicle's blind spot.  We had airhorns.  I loved that job.  They changed their policy a few years later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Have any kind of road accident in the Phils, and it's going to be your fault anyway... from what I've read.   :unsure:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Have any kind of road accident in the Phils, and it's going to be your fault anyway... from what I've read

Well it would not have happened if the foreigners were not here. :hystery::hystery::28:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I've pondered this thing about horn usage and come to a couple of hypotheses:

1) Horns are like a force-field.  The more beeps, the more powerful.  Vehicles use them to signal 'here I am', or 'don't move over cuz I'm passing you', etc.  

2) A lot of slower vehicles seem to only listen for beeps, rather than actually looking to see if its safe.  So the Jeepny will drift into your lane, the tricycle will burst out of a side street without looking.  If you don't beep, they just assume everything is cool.  

The only way to safely navigate, for me, is to think 3 steps ahead.  I have to pay attention to the woman walking who is about to step off the curb, causing the c-kad driver to swerve around her, causing the overtaking Jeepny to change lanes abruptly.  Ergo, I better beep before he changes lanes, or take some kind of assertive action. 

Its maddening.

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I've pondered this thing about horn usage and come to a couple of hypotheses:

1) Horns are like a force-field.  The more beeps, the more powerful.  Vehicles use them to signal 'here I am', or 'don't move over cuz I'm passing you', etc.  

2) A lot of slower vehicles seem to only listen for beeps, rather than actually looking to see if its safe.  So the Jeepny will drift into your lane, the tricycle will burst out of a side street without looking.  If you don't beep, they just assume everything is cool.  

The only way to safely navigate, for me, is to think 3 steps ahead.  I have to pay attention to the woman walking who is about to step off the curb, causing the c-kad driver to swerve around her, causing the overtaking Jeepny to change lanes abruptly.  Ergo, I better beep before he changes lanes, or take some kind of assertive action. 

Its maddening.

My thoughts exactly. Except not maddening just different than I am used to.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

To quote a friend's comment about driving in India as it's just as applicable here:

To drive successfully in the Philippines you need three things - a good horn, good brakes and good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, DavidK said:

To quote a friend's comment about driving in India as it's just as applicable here:

To drive successfully in the Philippines you need three things - a good horn, good brakes and good luck.

From my limited experience of driving in the Philippines only a good horn applies, the most reliable and maintained item on the car. I'm sure when filipinos buy a car their only concern is that the horn works or they'll walk away.

• Haha 1