Car Horns

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Well, they are great imitators here... sortof... But they play "music?" so loud it distorts... No Americans do that...:huh:

Apparently you haven't been in the US for a while.  It's just as bad if not worse coming from the vehicles.  On the other hand you don't get that much distortion from the non moving venues as they will get noise complaints phoned in to the police fairly quickly.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

Apparently you haven't been in the US for a while.  It's just as bad if not worse coming from the vehicles.  On the other hand you don't get that much distortion from the non moving venues as they will get noise complaints phoned in to the police fairly quickly.

Quite right that I haven't been there for a  long while - over 20 years to spend any time - and no, I don't really miss it either....

I just don't remember being in traffic behind any half pick-up truck vehicles and faced with booming, distorting sound "music????" with a bunch of guys in the back too as they sit and absorb it... I guess I am showing my age now?...

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
On 9/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, Tommy T. said:

Quite right that I haven't been there for a  long while - over 20 years to spend any time - and no, I don't really miss it either....

I just don't remember being in traffic behind any half pick-up truck vehicles and faced with booming, distorting sound "music????" with a bunch of guys in the back too as they sit and absorb it... I guess I am showing my age now?...

Pickup truck?  Try being behind or next to a subcompact with the trunk filled with a 1200W subwoofer.  You will think your windows are going to shatter!  You can actually see their windows vibrate! 

What they have here is old school, you can get the same or greater volume out of smaller speakers now.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hobbit112 said:

Try being behind or next to a subcompact with the trunk filled with a 1200W subwoofer. 

Yeah... been behind or next to them too. I feel the bass pounding into my chest like a malignant heartbeat. I have seen windows vibrate too! One came up behind me in USA once and it made the back window on MY car vibrate! I could hardly wait for the red light to change so I could escape from it...

• 1 month later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

One valid use of a horn I learned while driving in the Cordillera mountains is when you are on a single lane mountain road you should use your horn as you approach a blind curve to warn any oncoming traffic. If you hear a response then you will need to slow down even further and decide when you meet who needs to back up to a place where the other one can safely pass.

• Like 5

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I would love to get one of those train horns installed in my little car. Imagine the fun!:smile:

• Haha 4