Rolling Blackouts Set For Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee, As to now we havent recieved any emails from Veco regarding new load shedding schedules, you may remember from one of my older posts that I was going to buy a larger 3000w generator, well I picked one up down town last week, Its a gasoline four stroke, with overhead valve and has a running output of 2,800watt, its not branded but looks pretty much like the larger generator below, they finaly dropped the price [ with my wifes input] to 11,800 php.On monday the 23 November, pardo lost power from 6am till 3.30 pm, it was an unscheduled outage due to a fault at our local sub station, the new generator ran well and used less than half a tank over an eight hour period, my old generator [ again not branded but similar to the smaller one below] will run a fan or two and some low energy lights, plus on occasion run some small power tools or water pump, its a two stroke engine with a running load of 850watt and can be purchased new at approx 5,500 php, both of these generators have a facility to charge 12v DC batteries. Johnimage008.png51169933.jpg
Thanks John, good to know. The main problem that I think we would have is bringing gasoline up to the unit and so far I have not seen anyone doing that, but we did not have many power outages in the past. I am looking into solar and maybe buying a battery and inverter as you suggested. I may go the generator route if the power outages become a regular thing but I suspect that all will be back to normal right after the elections, just my opinion on why all this is now happening. A failure of election may be what is in the works.

johnb
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee, As to now we havent recieved any emails from Veco regarding new load shedding schedules, you may remember from one of my older posts that I was going to buy a larger 3000w generator, well I picked one up down town last week, Its a gasoline four stroke, with overhead valve and has a running output of 2,800watt, its not branded but looks pretty much like the larger generator below, they finaly dropped the price [ with my wifes input] to 11,800 php.On monday the 23 November, pardo lost power from 6am till 3.30 pm, it was an unscheduled outage due to a fault at our local sub station, the new generator ran well and used less than half a tank over an eight hour period, my old generator [ again not branded but similar to the smaller one below] will run a fan or two and some low energy lights, plus on occasion run some small power tools or water pump, its a two stroke engine with a running load of 850watt and can be purchased new at approx 5,500 php, both of these generators have a facility to charge 12v DC batteries. Johnimage008.png51169933.jpg
Thanks John, good to know. The main problem that I think we would have is bringing gasoline up to the unit and so far I have not seen anyone doing that, but we did not have many power outages in the past. I am looking into solar and maybe buying a battery and inverter as you suggested. I may go the generator route if the power outages become a regular thing but I suspect that all will be back to normal right after the elections, just my opinion on why all this is now happening. A failure of election may be what is in the works.
Hi Lee, given your situation, I totally agree that a Generator would not be appropriate, I was just passing on some specs and prices for general viewing, a small solar powered system would be ideal for you, as you [hopefully] wont need to use or recharge your battery daily, I would guess that both the inverter and solar panels could be purchesed cheaper in the US, if you were sending a Balikbayan box , a good quality deep discharge battery would be a good investment. We enrolled in the update feature of VECO, regarding outage allerts, still have not received any information, we will have to check them out, thanks for the heads up.John

Mik
Posted
Posted

We've had a couple of one hour brownouts in the past month. One hour is not too bad, at least the house stays cool. I just lay down and take a nap until the power comes back. I only start my generator if the brownout is after dark or more than 2 hours in the daytime. VECO pays large businesses to run their own generators during periods of short supply. That avoids some of the brownouts, but as a result our electric rate has increased 17% since August..

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I just received another notice and it convinces me even more that they are getting ready for a failure of election in case the wrong people seem to be ahead in the next election. While Cebu is in fact growing, there are a lot of businesses that have closed up and many people I speak to are cutting back and hardly ever using their aircon, so all this does not add up to me. What do you think? Dear Sir/Ma'am,Power supply in the Cebu-Negros and Panay (CNP) grid (where VECO belongs) remains to be of great concern in the coming monthswith no available power reserves. Whenever, a single power plant serving the CNP grid breaks down or is under preventive maintenance, brownouts/power interruptions occur, especially during peak periods. For VECO, peak periods would mean from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.,1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and from 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m. During these times, consumption of electricity is at its highest.To minimize inconvenience on the part of the consumers, VECO is giving this notice as a guide IF A POWER SUPPLY SHORTAGE OCCURS.VECO will then implement a one-hour rotation brownout in Metro Cebu to help ease the power supply shortage problem.Based on our records you belong to Feeder CARRETA 311. There is a probability that your area will be interrupted from 9:00- 10:00 A.M. TODAY.CARRETA 311 covers Lorega, Zapatera, Hipodromo, Camputhaw, Capitol Site, Lahug, Guadalupe, Kalunasan, and Sapangdaku. There will be instances however, that the interruption will come a little earlier or later depending on the requirement from NGCP.The schedule above is not a guarantee that you will be interrupted on your assigned time. A manual load shedding or power interruptionscheme will be implemented depending on the available power supply and the power consumption of the customers at that particular time.The advise on whether VECO needs to interrupt certain areas will come from the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP),the company which serves as a