Hong Kong airport

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What amazes me is the pricing , if you have just hand luggage and don’t mind where you seat that’s the cheapest price, but if you have luggage and chose a seat when you book your flight then it’s a extra £———, a few years ago the only extra you paid for was the front seat plus the emergency exits where the seat had a little more space , now every seat has a fixed price on top of the price that is advertised unless you wait until the last day then chose where you want but the spaces could be limited.

I don’t fancy a long stop over between flights but sometimes you have to pay for the things that you are wanting .

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Time of year, time of week can make a big difference.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gary D said:

Time of year, time of week can make a big difference.

Good point, regarding the Hong Kong issues.  The protests are on the weekends so if you time your transfer for mid-week, the risk of a problem is very low.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2019 at 1:36 AM, Gary D said:

We paid £506 each on CP london manila with a change in HK, earlier in the year I saw £430 into clark but it didn't suit our timing. I'm not sure if PAL are non stop but usually you stop somewhere on the way.

That was the round trip fare?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

That was the round trip fare?

yes fly September and return mid March, we wanted to return mid May so couldn't use the £430 fare.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Gary D said:

yes fly September and return mid March, we wanted to return mid May so couldn't use the £430 fare.

Have you sorted your insurance out yet for the time in the Philippines .

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

Have you sorted your insurance out yet for the time in the Philippines .

Yes we have 8 months cover travel insurance with unlimited medical for the two of us, cost about £350 with a company called Staysure. I figured it was better value than 17,000 for Philheath which only gives a discount.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes we have 8 months cover travel insurance with unlimited medical for the two of us, cost about £350 with a company called Staysure. I figured it was better value than 17,000 for Philheath which only gives a discount.

That is very cheap.  I looked at their website.  They are probably very strict on pre-existing conditions, as are most insurances these days.

Any recommendations for travel insurance when visiting Europe?  I'm happy with the company I have used for visiting U.S., and visiting New Zealand.  I need a good one for Europe coverage.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That is very cheap.  I looked at their website.  They are probably very strict on pre-existing conditions, as are most insurances these days.

Any recommendations for travel insurance when visiting Europe?  I'm happy with the company I have used for visiting U.S., and visiting New Zealand.  I need a good one for Europe coverage.

We are both covered for pre-existing conditions, my type 2 diabetes and wife's high blood pressure.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Alternatively Steve, since you are now retired and officially old (:mocking: ) why not just make it a comfortable journey and go Business Class?  Whenever I have flown from the UK to Manila and back I fly Business Class with Etihad via Abu Dhabi.   Collection to and from your house via limousine included.  Seats that recline to 180 flat beds, unlimited food/drinks/champagne etc.  There is a reasonable priced 'Premier Inn'  just a few minutes walk through the airport in Abu Dhabi, you dont actually even leave the airport.  Get a 12 hour or so stopover, bath. bed, 8 hours sleep and you get to go back to the Business Lounge for some great food etc before flying off to Manila where you arrive feeling undoubtedly fresher than doing it the 'Cheap-wad' way. Spend some of that retirement bonus you got and treat yourself, well worth it.

Best to send your missus on ahead a week or so before, that will keep the price down for you, hahaha. Costs about £2.000 ish.

• Like 3