Hong Kong airport

Ice Patrol
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/5/2019 at 2:51 AM, stevewool said:

a bitWith all the trouble that has been happening in Hong Kong would you still book a flight that is going from England via Hong Kong to Manila ie Cathy Pacific or would you book a alternative route.

I do like this route as it’s a 12 hour flight then just a few more hours from there rather then a 8 hour then a 7 hour fight with the others, I don’t want to fly direct because of the price with Philippines airlines, what’s your thoughts ?

When I booked my Aug.13  flight from the USA. to Manila , I purposely avoided any Hong Kong stops coming or going.Never mind  the unrest,riots and obvious dangers that may be lurking there.China has a full on communist government which means  that they are capable of doing anything,evil or not,to further their iron fisted rule.I used Korean air and my stops for coming and going were at Seoul Incheon Airport.Also there there was no difference in flight times.And to me the threat of any NK. havoc is minuscule comparatively.I reailize your flight situation is a bit  different fron mine and its good to get the shorter flights....                                                                                              Ice Patrol  /   :cheersty:

Edited by Ice Patrol
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Flights from London are always cheaper than our 'regional airports'... eg Manchester. 

You can usually add about 50 pounds to the London airports price, but of course it would probably cost you more than that to get to London anyway.  :smile:

You're a little more restricted on choice of airline that's all, but Emirates, (including to Cebu and Clark) Etihad, KLM, and Cathay all fly from Manchester... for us northern bumpkins.  

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 9/5/2019 at 2:51 AM, stevewool said:

With all the trouble that has been happening in Hong Kong would you still book a flight that is going from England via Hong Kong to Manila ie Cathy Pacific or would you book a alternative route.

I do like this route as it’s a 12 hour flight then just a few more hours from there rather then a 8 hour then a 7 hour fight with the others, I don’t want to fly direct because of the price with Philippines airlines, what’s your thoughts ?

I had already booked my flight when the trouble began and was worried about it myself. My fight was just a few days after the worst of it.  As it happened I transited thru without a problem. It seems the protesters were in the arrival and domestic flight areas. The international transit flights are in the secure area of the airport and the protesters never made it that far - nor, according to an Air Canada official anyhow - would they. 

Never the less, I was still apprehensive about it and was grateful I had travel insurance. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/11/2019 at 10:28 AM, Gator said:

The international transit flights are in the secure area of the airport and the protesters never made it that far - nor, according to an Air Canada official anyhow - would they. 

I flew through HK just once and had a 3 hour layover. Nice airport - really expensive beer! Yow! But I really wanted a beer to relax... anyway...

I am curious about your comment regarding international transit flights. Would some passengers not be embarking or disembarking there or would everyone and the aircraft just be in transit and passing through? My thought is that some people might be catching the final leg of a flight there and so possibly be delayed by protesters blocking access to the terminal?

Edited by Tommy T.
alter content

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

My thought is that some people might be catching the final leg of a flight there and so possibly be delayed by protesters blocking access to the terminal?

In transit passengers stay inside the secure area, do not pass customs, do not see protestors, they just change gates . . change planes . . and continue their journey.  There are exceptions for some airlines who do not have a reception desk inside the secure area, such as Cebu Pacific.  When changing planes to a Cebu Pacific flight you are S.O.L. so when transiting in Hong Kong, avoid transferring to a Cebu Pacific flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In transit passengers stay inside the secure area, do not pass customs, do not see protestors, they just change gates . . change planes . . and continue their journey. 

Thanks Dave. What I am wondering about is whether passengers in Hong Kong might be scheduled to fly on the same aircraft that In-Transit passengers might be on too? In that case, I am just thinking that a flight might be delayed if it is waiting for new passengers there?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

What I am wondering about is whether passengers in Hong Kong might be scheduled to fly on the same aircraft that In-Transit passengers might be on too? In that case, I am just thinking that a flight might be delayed if it is waiting for new passengers there?

Not if it is anything like Manila.  I just left there last week and the Captain announced:  "We will be leaving 2 minutes late due to the groung crew removing the luggage from passengers who did not clear security in time.  Please bear with us."

We left exactly 2 minutes late.  That was fantastic for the Philippines but I bet a flight from Hong Kong would not even be 2 minutes late.  You no show, you no go!

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not if it is anything like Manila.  I just left there last week and the Captain announced:  "We will be leaving 2 minutes late due to the groung crew removing the luggage from passengers who did not clear security in time.  Please bear with us."

We left exactly 2 minutes late.  That was fantastic for the Philippines but I bet a flight from Hong Kong would not even be 2 minutes late.  You no show, you no go!

I’m sure that’s true but I’m led to believe that in most large airports that luggage from non boarded passengers has to be deplaned because it is regarded as an increased security risk.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I’m sure that’s true but I’m led to believe that in most large airports that luggage from non boarded passengers has to be deplaned because it is regarded as an increased security risk.

I believe you are correct.  My inference was that Hong Kong would shut the boarding gates and allow enough time to deplane luggage from no-shows and still leave on time. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I believe you are correct.  My inference was that Hong Kong would shut the boarding gates and allow enough time to deplane luggage from no-shows and still leave on time. 

I've seen them deplane luggage, the guy in the hold just throws the cases from the cargo bay door onto the runway below. must be 15-20 feet.

• Sad 1